Couple Newbie Questions I can't find answers for.. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Couple Newbie Questions I can't find answers for..

Like the title says and I'm sure you can guess I'm a newbie. I've been doin my own research and finding stuff out and learning the lingo. But I'm still left with a couple a questions.

1. There's so many brands that I've come across I can't distinguish between them. This brings me to my first question: What are the good brands, bad brands, stuff to stay away from yadda yadda? I've tried lookin this up.. but I haven't found a definitive answer. I'm new, but am familiar with some of the bigger brands like Burton of course and Forum. Other than that, I have no idea about the many other companies. So I would just like to know who's good, who's bad, who's hot and who's not.

2. Now onto my other question. As a newbie, what are your guy's recommendations for me? I'm from Va. and there's only a couple places in western and northern Va. to ride at. I'm 5'10", 170 lbs, wear a size 10-11 (depending on brand and what not) boot, I'm a newbie so I just do free riding but would like to get into some freestyle and park stuff. I've got a budget of around 400-500 for board and bindings. Now I don't need for you guys to go shopping for me, that's not what I'm asking. I just want some info on what I should look for (board types, shape, size, flex, camber, etc.) This is all new to me, so I'm not 100% on what stuff lends to what.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes, and I apologize if I did. But any help, or direction I can be given would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Last edited by R3MY; 01-10-2011 at 11:22 AM.
R3MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Burton does make good products but many people on here would agree that it is slightly overpriced and there are other companies on the market that are good such as, libtech, although outta your pricerange unless you buy used, neversummer, same case as libtech, rome, ride, arbor, bataleon, there is also k2, nitro, capita, gnu and many many others. all of these companies make good products but you do have to be cvareufl because they do al make good products but they do also make what some would say bad products, I personally cant vouch for any boards as I am also somewhat of a newb when it comes to gear but from what I read you would be safe with a Gnu carbon credit or park pickle, also k2 darkstar or possibly the parkstar which would help in your progression, i would be looking in the 150-155 range, sounds like rocker or rocker/camber tech, your looking for, and twin tip i would guess with twin flex... This is what I have figured out so far, someone may say something different.
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've been looking at Nitro, K2, and Flow boards. Since I'm a newb, I'm going on looks at the moment. But the Nitro and K2 boards I've been lookin at won some Good Wood awards this year and last year. I'm also interested in Artec boards, but don't see alot of feedback on them. From everything I've been reading my size range is anywhere from 152-164. So I've been looking for something in the middle that's pretty popular. Seems like 155/6/7 is that. But like I said, the boards I've been looking at are the Nitro T1, Haze, Team, Sub-Pop/Zero, the K2 Darkstar/Parkstar boards, and the Flow Era, and Merc. I like the Artec Pop and Alt rocker. The House has a really good package deal for those. I'm really leaning towards the Nitro boards. When I do get a board, I'll prolly just pick up matching bindings (Nitro/Raiden, K2/K2, Flow/Flow) to go with it. But right now I'm not sure what features I should be looking for.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you want to match binding to board, I'd honestly look into rome boards. Capita is great too(they only make boards but any bindings work for em)
AlexS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

No one can really say with 100% certainty which brands are good. That is almost purely subjective. There are some commonly accepted bad brands though:

Lamar (their 2011 stuff I hear are getting better though)
Avalanche
Sims

The most popular brand in this forum is NeverSummer, but their boards are well out of your price range.

These are brands that I like in no particular order:

Ride
K2
Lib Tech
Burton
Rome
Flow
Rossignol (only a couple of their boards)

With your price range, there are some good options for you:

Snowboards Size 155cm-158cm : Price 300:399

My top recommendation for you out of that line-up is the K2 Raygun. For the price, you get a ton of quality. It is an Intermediate all-mountain board, but that is a good thing. With beginner boards, you'll quickly outgrow them. The Raygun isn't going to be super stable on steep runs, but you don't have to worry about that for a while anyway. By then, you'll probably want to add another board to your collection anyway. It's a mid-flex board so it is versatile. It'll be forgiving enough to learn on, yet stable enough to tackle blue runs when you get to that point. Also, if you find yourself becoming a powder junkie, the rocker profile on the Raygun is going to be sweet. That brings us to the next benefit, the rocker profile will help with reducing edge catches while you are learning. However, it's not a true rocker (it's actually flat in the middle) so it's not going to make you learn bad habits.

The other board I recommend out of that list is the Darkstar. This one is a bit stiffer and is completely flat camber. This board will be more stable on steeper runs. However, it has a Sintered base which means it is a lot faster than the Raygun. I forgot to mention the extruded base on the Raygun. Extruded bases are less maintenance, but they are slower than waxed sintered bases. Sintered bases need to be waxed more often to maintain their speed. Extruded bases are faster than an unwaxed sintered. With that said, because extruded bases are in fact slower than a waxed sintered, they could actually end up being more maintenance if you want to squeeze the most speed out of your board. You'll find yourself waxing an extruded base more often than you would with a sintered.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Leo, thanx for the info. Really helped me out, I'm lookin in on the raygun. Any opinion on Nitro boards?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3MY View Post
Leo, thanx for the info. Really helped me out, I'm lookin in on the raygun. Any opinion on Nitro boards?
I have not demoed any Nitro boards. I'm sure others have though
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Kool, well I'll check what you reccommneded. Appreciate the info and help. Thanx!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3MY View Post
Kool, well I'll check what you reccommneded. Appreciate the info and help. Thanx!
Anytime
Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Leo;356475]No one can really say with 100% certainty which brands are good. That is almost purely subjective. There are some commonly accepted bad brands though:

Lamar (their 2011 stuff I hear are getting better though)
Avalanche
Sims

Whooooaa Leo, Avalanche has a life time exemption on bad mouthing. 1990 Damian Sanders in Snowboarders In Exile... find the VHS and get back to me....Watch and learn from the masters, Damian Sanders & Steve Graham.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote