New Board: Intermediate, Recommended Gnu Carbon Credit 153 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default New Board: Intermediate, Recommended Gnu Carbon Credit 153

Hey guys, Look at a new board, I went to my local Ski/Board shop and was recommended the Gnu Carbon Credit 2011 153.

Heres a bit about me:

Height: 5' 4"

Boot Size: 8

Weight: 150

Style: All-Mountain, Wanting to get into jumps.

Surface: Packed Powder/Granular (Mostly Man-Made, Sometimes Real.)

I want: A quick and agile board that can hold a nice edge across pretty much anything, some good flex, Maybe 4-6 rating.
Graphics aren't a huge deal.
Would like to avoid burton, but not absolutely required.

Price Range: <=$450

Willing to order online, thanks everyone!

Last edited by Sinodyn; 01-10-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Sinodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Without knowing your skill range:

Ride Machete: Awesome board for what you described as your style. It's going to be a good jump board and will handle much of the mountain well. You can do the 152cm size. We don't have any more 155, but if you can find it in that size, it will be great for more all-mountain focused riding. The 152 is still good for all-mountain, but more freestyle focused size.

Ride Machete Snowboard 2011

K2 Parkstar: Softer than the Machete and more freestyle oriented. Holds a great edge, just chatters when you take it on the steeps. 152cm for this as well.

K2 Parkstar Snowboard 2011
Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well, I'm not saying I'm just believing what I hear, but he pitched the Carbon Credit above about every other board in the shop. It's a pretty big shop. I don't know, It's just so much to chose from.

As for my skill I can't really determine much by hill type because all the hills at my local resort are -really- short. But It's a blue run that I do. I can quickly link turns and carve, I'm pretty agile, but I feel as though my current board is holding me back.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Carbon Credit is fine. Especially for icey conditions. I just feel the Machete is the better board (I demoed both). Not much more expensive either.

Gnu Carbon Credit BTX Snowboard 2011
Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I am told to get the CAPiTA Indoor Survival, but what I was shown and told is to get the Carbon Credit. Help!

Or the Machete.

Last edited by Sinodyn; 01-10-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I tried to help

My vote goes to the Machete.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Come on Leo, steer people towards boards made in the USA! Everyone knows Mervin is the best! F the rest.

The Carbon Credit is a good board on the lower end of the Mervin line, you will be stoked on it. I used to ride the shit out of my Gnu Dukester back in the day, loved that board enough to get 2 of them.

Leo, how was your Tahoe trip? Where did you ride? I just went back after my christmas trip and got a blue bird day at Squaw last Thursday...sooo sick except I ate shit sooo hard on one run, that I knocked the wind out of myself and tweeked my neck. Haven't crashed that hard since the mid 90's when I was riding hard.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I would hate to disregard Leo's opinion, but I think I'm going to get the Carbon Credit. Should I pick it up locally or get it online to get with some of those free gift packs and whatnot.

Also: Should I get new bindings for what I want to do? I have Black Burton Freestyles from last year.

I need to get rid of my old pair of boots to get some money
Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post
Come on Leo, steer people towards boards made in the USA! Everyone knows Mervin is the best! F the rest.

The Carbon Credit is a good board on the lower end of the Mervin line, you will be stoked on it. I used to ride the shit out of my Gnu Dukester back in the day, loved that board enough to get 2 of them.

Leo, how was your Tahoe trip? Where did you ride? I just went back after my christmas trip and got a blue bird day at Squaw last Thursday...sooo sick except I ate shit sooo hard on one run, that I knocked the wind out of myself and tweeked my neck. Haven't crashed that hard since the mid 90's when I was riding hard.
For what it's worth, I really wanted to recommend the Skate Banana, but it is out of his price range. The Carbon and Machete are similar in price and I really do feel that the Machete is better.

LoL... anyway, Tahoe was soo sweet. We did local mountains though since we were staying in Incline Village. It was a pain to drive up and down the mountain to get to places during the snow storms. We did venture out one day to Boreal mountain though. We chose that over Heavenly and Northstar mainly because they had night sessions (we got a late start that day) and it was only $39!

First day was Mt. Rose. Second was Boreal. Last and best day was Diamond Peak. Rose was a great mountain, but it was hardpack. Boreal was much smaller, but was sick because we went after a pow dump. Diamond Peak was the best out of our three sessions because it was snowing the night before and all through that day we were out. Over 2 feet total. Hands down best riding experience I ever had. Not that I have a whole lot to compare it to lol.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Would the Skate Banana Essentially kick the crap out of the Carbon Credit? For $90... I don't know... May be worth it.