Cracks( or what appear to be..) NEED ADVICE - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cracks( or what appear to be..) NEED ADVICE

First of, Hello to everyone! I have only browsed this forum for a couple of days but i'm already in love with it.
Rider - 5'10" 150lb
Ride - 09 Supermodel X, CO2, Driver X( if that all at matters) 1 flouro wax for every 2 days of shredding
I ride all over the mountain and particularly love speed, mainly the reason i wanted a supermodel or custom however got a better deal on model. I do some basic jumps( 180, 360, all the newbie stuff) but thats about it. No rails are going to touch the base of my board Or maybe they are if my board is going to hell..
This is where the "board going to hell" come in or I'm just paranoid..
The board hasn't seen too many days on snow(around 20) and it looks pretty good, if not for some kid next to you jabbing the top edge with his ski or pole on the lifts lol, I don't think i ride the board that hard so that the edges would start cracking nor have i had huge impacts on the board on occasional screw up
There are two hairline ,what appear to be, cracks right under the bindings on heel side- one crack is roughly .5" from edge another is 1.5" from edge.. both are at least 10" long. Also there is bubbling along the edge on the green "R" (middle of the board) is it possible that i over bend it and somehow compressed the material? i have no idea why its only on the green part and not right next to it.. anyways i feel its futile to explain, picture is worth a thousand words, so there are few of them i just took

Any thoughts? is it normal or should i be concerned? I'm used to seeing my base in pristine condition and after last time i went all of a sudden i have to cracks and a damn gauge..
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

the two "cracks" are just scratches and will not really affect the board at all wax will most likely get rid of any problems.... but im not sure about that guage, its not a core shot so you prolly dont need to ptex it but maybe someone else could clarify?

Last edited by notter123; 01-10-2011 at 08:32 PM.
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Your board is in near perfect condition. Nothing on there to even think about.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No problems at all. Those are very minor scratches in both the edge and base. The bubbling you see is not actually bubbling at all, those are the teeth that hold the metal edge in the side of the board. You are able to see them because the green ptex is more transparent than the black ptex.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hahahahahaha lol.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

lol, thank god i'm just paranoid in that case!
I'll wax it and see how it holds up next time. Somehow i doubt that those are scratches... they simply look too deep and narrow, and just the shape is not scratch-like. I'll just have to wait till i go again. i marked the endpoints of scratches and will see if I'm proven otherwise. If they progress past the point of my marks then those are certainly cracks that are progressing along the length of board. If not then I'll probably try filling them. as for bubbling - its not smooth as it used to be before, they are like bumps. when i scrape i get wax left over around those bumps, nothing scotchbrite can't fixs but they weren't there before and now they are. This is my first board as you can tell after i got tired of poorly fitting boots and general rental gear i finally pulled the trigger and blew a year's worth of college books lol
Thanks for quick replies

Last edited by Julius; 01-10-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

UHMW (base material) doesn't crack. I have taken pieces of it and folded them in half trying to break it. It just bent in half.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's a snowboard. Seems some people have trouble understanding they break. Yours is fine though.
snowvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

what the.....

how is your board looking so good? I have 4 days on my new board and, if those were cracks my board would have disintegrated. Those aren't cracks man, those are scratches in the base. If they get REALLY deep, you need to have them filled to protect the material under that. Filling with wax in the meantime helps but, you dont have that issue, those are just tiny tiny tiny scratches. VERY tiny
Sincraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote