edge tunes - what products? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default edge tunes - what products?

So many products out there, the better ones that don't look like they are going to fall apart after 3 uses or damage your base/side are all made for skis.
Anyone recommend some good tools for edging? Nothing too serious though, not doing this professionally. Just keeping maybe 5 sets of boards/skis tuned throughout the year.

Also, is it really necessary to get all those different stone grits? Coarse, Fine, xtra fine etc? Seems like much past the regular sharpen is just to polish, what does a polish do for an edge? Def not worth it if all it does is make it shinier.

I'd like to find one that fits typical files you can get at the store, but maybe those aren't as good as the ones that come with diamond files?

Thanks for any input, my fingers bleeding from surfing all the options and not finding anything that seemed that good.

I dont mind if I need two sep units for base and side bevels
Sincraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Shameless bump.

How about this one? Ski Snowboard Edge Bevel Tools Steel File

scroll down, orange triangle looking thing. The multi edger with file and 3 diamond stones optional set for setting bevels and maintaining? Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

snowboard community forums - Base Bevel File/File Guide
PATKOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

First u have to know what kind of riding ur mostly going to be riding. there are different type of base and side guides all depending on what type of riding youll be doing. You dont want ur edges to be at 87 degrees if riding park or at 92 degrees if freeriding.

if u want to just maintain ur edges then find out your boards exact base and side angles and then get a guide for it.

Me personally, i have everything from SWIX....you can go to ski-depot.com and they have a wide variety of tuning tools.

if ur edges are really nicked up then u should get a medium to coarse diamond file...the reason for diamond is because it is way harder than ur edges. Once ur edges get beat up, that metal actually gets so much harder that a regular file wont do justice. You first use a diamond file and then a steel file for smoothing out. You can then use an extra fine diamond stone for final polishing.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincraft View Post
Shameless bump.

How about this one? Ski Snowboard Edge Bevel Tools Steel File

scroll down, orange triangle looking thing. The multi edger with file and 3 diamond stones optional set for setting bevels and maintaining? Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.
Personally, I hate those things.

Not because they don't do an adequate job (they're okay), but because the diamond stones are always an odd size and only their replacement stones fit.

Buy a dedicated angle guide that you can use with any size of stone, worth it in the long run
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Personally, I hate those things.

Not because they don't do an adequate job (they're okay), but because the diamond stones are always an odd size and only their replacement stones fit.

Buy a dedicated angle guide that you can use with any size of stone, worth it in the long run

That's half my problem. I can't find definitely how my board was setup from the factory, but the place I bought it from said most of the time these intermediate all mountain boards are setup with 1 degree base and 1 degree side.

Very hard finding tools that are reviewed that accept stones that seem to be typical. Very hard indeed finding out the 'proper' procedure to do things. The link posted on this site is even wrong from what I've read. Or I should say, extremely glossed over.

Now I'm reading about sidecuts. You are supposed to have a sidewall tool that cuts the side of the board down to allow the shaving of the side edge O.O

There is one tool that does all of this, but users have reported some issues with it be exact throughout the entire edge.

Most sites just show you to use a file guide, a bastard file, and to make passes down the line. MOST sites however, show the person to go over it more than a couple times. Which is bad from what I've read. That's taking way too much edge off. Next, they jump right to using a gummy stone. Sure you COULD do this but, it's def not the proper way by any stroke of the imagination. Every video I have seen has something I read that I SHOULDNT do in it. So I dont know what to believe.

I used to hand sharpen my skis years ago. I used a file, a few passes and a piece of tape on the file to keep from scratching the board and to add about a .5 degree bevel. I used the sharpie trick 10 years ago. Works well, and really lets you know if you have edge problems or , aren't getting an even tune.

Seems like the set degree tools with a large surface for grabbing onto the board and glidding down are the best. But many of them use specialized stones.

There is a proper way to do all of this, and most of it is in written form. There are variations of the proper way, but as of yet, I have found no videos to demonstrate this that even closely matches.