board width - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default board width

hey everyone, im new to the forum and have a few questions on board width. Well the other day i went to a local ski resort and did some snowboarding. A couple years ago i would always go up to this little tiny hill and snow board on cheap walmart boards lol. Well when i got on a actual snowboard at the resort and instantly got the hang of it and fell in love. Now i want my own board and have a question. I wear a size 13 boot. Whats the littlest waist width of board i can run without toe and heel drag. Im 6 foot tall and 185 pounds. I did a little research and found someone saying for size 13 boot, dont go any smaller then 26 width? Anyone got any tips on picking out a borad. Of course the first question to me is going to be what kind of boarding will i do, well all i will be doing is going to resorts so im guessing ill need a freestlye or freeride board? Im leaning towards the never summer revolver board. 159cm in length with a 26.4 width. Thanks for the help!
razbilljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Actually, go buy a pair of boots first. Only after you get your boots should you figure out what board to get (that's just a good general rule; boots are more important to your overall riding than the board is: bad boots = shitty ride). If you're really concerned about waist width, try to find a good set of boots that has a reduced profile; several brands make them. Conversely, there are several brands which make your boots look even larger than they are, so shop smart in this regard. A boot with a nice reduced profile will act almost as if you've sized down a whole boot size.

By no means does this mean you have to buy the most expensive set of boots out there. Buy something that fits really well and is comfortable. Try on all the different brands you can as they all size and fit differently, even between boots of the same manufacturer. I normally wear size 10 shoes, but wear size 9 Burton Rulers because they fit great. When I was shopping, I could actually squeeze into size 8.5 Solomons (can't remember what model). Just because you're size 13 on land, doesn't make you size 13 on snow.

Since you haven't honed in on being strictly a park rat or a powder hound, the board type is a little less important. You can really ride anything on anything, some are just better at doing X than others. A good all-around board should serve you well as you grow into the sport. From NS, the Legacy is maybe a bit better all around, but you can't really go wrong with either.
2010 Burton Ruler

Last edited by CoopersTroopers; 01-13-2011 at 04:47 PM.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks alot, i didnt do much boot research, but i will deffinently look into that first. theres only one place where i live thats got boots. They only have a couple pair. So i guess my first step is to do a little roadtrip out of town and find some boardshops and get fitted into some different brands. luckly you said that because i probably would of just ordered a size 13 boot off of a website, and more then likely failed. lol hopefully someone on here wears a size 13 and can give me some more pointers!
razbilljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razbilljr View Post
Thanks alot, i didnt do much boot research, but i will deffinently look into that first. theres only one place where i live thats got boots. They only have a couple pair. So i guess my first step is to do a little roadtrip out of town and find some boardshops and get fitted into some different brands. luckly you said that because i probably would of just ordered a size 13 boot off of a website, and more then likely failed. lol hopefully someone on here wears a size 13 and can give me some more pointers!
Boots are the one thing you really, really need to try on before buying (unless there's a Zappos.com for snowboard boots). It's kind of a dick thing to do since you're wasting someone's time, but you could always go to a boardshop, try on a ton of boots, find one you like, then buy it online. There's just such variance in boots and people's feet that it's a much more difficult purchase than a board or bindings (which you can easily buy online without fear of not fitting).
2010 Burton Ruler
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote