New Board and Bindings (ready to buy soon) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board and Bindings (ready to buy soon)

Hey everyone I am relatively new to the sport and come for your advice on my first board and bindings. I am in Indiana right now so there is not much in way of shops to go to so this weekend I am planning on making a trip to a shop in Indianapolis to buy my first pair of boots/ Here's my basic info though:

Height: 6'
Weight: between 180-190
Boot Size: Havn't gotten them yet, I wear a size 10 1/2 shoe so I am guessing my boot size will likely end up being somewhere in the 10-11 range.
Style: Just freeride for now
Location: Would mostly be in the midwest so Wisconsin/Indiana are the only places for me to really go but I will be making a trip to Montana this spring.
Budget: Would like to keep board and bindings under $500 total if possible

I was planning on buying a board about a year and a half ago and was pretty set on the Forum Recon but I am open for any suggestions. My budget is pretty solid at $500 but would be willing to spend another $100 or so if I would really benefit from that. As for bindings I am not positive on much and would love to hear your recommendations after a few more boards are suggested. (I also looked at the Burton Clash as well as a possibility)

I would appreciate any help you all can offer, Thanks!
Boiler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's hard to get a good full setup this time of year for $500, you could get much more for your money a few months from now when the end of season sales kick in. If you really want to buy soon that Forum Recon is a decent board for the money and it would leave enough of your budget for some good bindings.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Rufus, I definitely understand where you are coming from. One of the main reasons I want to go ahead with it sooner rather than later is because for spring break this year I'll be in Montana for 4 or 5 days to snowboard so renting is going to cost me around $180 for that trip and since I was able to find a place to stay for free I figured it made sense to take the money I am saving from lodging and add that to the money I would pay for renting and just pull the trigger on my own board instead. So I guess that is my logic behind the time frame there. If I bumped the budget up to around $600 would that offer me any better options?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Being that you're a newer rider, I'm guessing you aren't looking to charge down black runs?

K2 Raygun: Excellent bang for your buck board. Not super stable on steeps, but great in powder and mellow groomers. Mid-flex. 159 is a good size for you.

K2 Raygun Mens Snowboard 2011

Pair it with these and you're golden:

K2 Uprise Mens Snowboard Bindings 2011
Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Leo, Thanks for the recommendation I am liking what I saw and also like the "create a package" deal they had on that website. As much as I would hate to be the guy to walk into a store and try on a pair of boots to see what fits and then bail and go buy online if I can save myself $50 or so I can't complain.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You saw the package deals eh? I would have recommended that in the first place, but I don't like to step on anyone's toes since you mentioned that you are going into a shop.

Whatever the case, if you buy even just the board from us, I suggest giving customer service a call to place your order. After you tell em what you want, ask for the free skullcandy earbud and Burton gift pack offer with your purchase.

You can also use the chat feature if you don't feel like talking on the phone
Old 01-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, just wow that is definitely too good of a deal to pass up and I may be pulling the trigger on this one sooner than I expected once I do a little more research and get all the financial info in order. But again Leo thank you for the recommendation!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Just to mix it up, depending on how everything works out in price, this might also fall into your budget:

Ride Machete Snowboard 2011

It's a bit stiffer than the Raygun and has a faster base (when waxed). I don't know your exact skill level, but as long as you are intermediate this board is excellent. One of the most well-rounded boards out right now for the price range.

Put it this way, if increasing your budget a little won't make you sweat, go for it. If you're iffy about extending your budget, stick with the Raygun for sure. Don't go out of your comfort zone budget-wise just for this board.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quick binding question, I was reading up on the K2 Uprise and had saw that the Rome 390's by some reviewers are considered slightly better (and from what I saw only $10 more for the 390's and around $30 more for the 390 Boss). If I were to go with the Raygun would the 390's be compatible with the board and would you guys recommend those above the Uprise?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The 390 is awesome. I have the boss version. Unfortunately, we are all out of the boss version in the large size. They are the same binding, but the boss version comes with canted footbeds. It's called the Yes I Cant.

ShredTV: Bindings: Yes I Cant | Rome Snowboard Design Syndicate 2011

You can call Rome and ask if they can just sell you the canted footbeds to use on your normal 390's. Do that before buying them though if this is going to make or break your desire to purchase these bindings.

And yes, they are compatible with the Raygun.