Salomon Grip vs. Ride DH2.5? Or... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Salomon Grip vs. Ride DH2.5? Or...

Ok, coming from some stiffish AM decks (Flow Team, Atomic Alibi, now 07/08 Custom). I tried out rocker tech on Ride's Crush, WWW, Sal Drift rocker and found them hella fun but a bit heavy and lifeless ouside of the park. So started looking around at something kinda in-between, thinking of keeping the custom for charging and starting a quiver for a bit more playful larking about. I ride the mountain preferring trees pow and natural hits, lapping through the park if theres nothing fresh; more kickers than rails and nothing huge at that. Want to get better at buttering too.

So, Salomon's Grip has caught my attention and i'm all set to buy one to buddy up with the Custom even though i'm not 100% on this years graphic. However the Ride DH 2.5 looks to me like it could be the slightly more playful REPLACEMENT for said Custom saving cash (cos i can then sell it) and the feeling "i should've brought my other board today".

Or maybe i should just de-tune the tip and tail of what i've got and be done with it?!

A vague one i know but any input's welcome, thanks for reading.
sidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You consider the Custom a stiff board??? Are you talking about the Custom X? The regular custom is a medium flex board. The Ride DH2 is actually stiffer than the Custom.

I don't know what size you ride, but this sounds like a really excellent board for what you are describing:

Ride Machete Snowboard 2011

Perfect board for all-mountain freestyle type of riding favoring the freestyle side. Poppy, great edge to edge power, and mid-flex. You can jib if you feel so inclined, but this board excels on jumps. It also doubles as a great powder board.

This is the board I got. It's also all-mountain freestyle, but this one leans more towards the all-mountain side:

K2 Turbo Dream Mens Snowboard 2011

Here's my complete review of this board:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...eam-390-a.html
Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
You consider the Custom a stiff board?
No, sorry, not in its-self but considerably more so than the jib boards i mentioned and a little more than i'd expected in the nose/tail. I rode this year's custom against my 4 year old and it's definitely wider and softer now, noticeably easier to butter.

Machete was certainly in my shortlist and still not off the radar, also Rome's Agent rocker.

Last edited by sidey; 01-13-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Here's another one:

K2 Parkstar Snowboard 2011

Not as stable as the Rome Agent or Machete, but trade-off is that it is a more playful and forgiving board.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The '11 DH LE's are the stiffest twin's I have ever been on ever. Unless you wanna jump all day or ride pipe, look elsewhere.

I highly recommend the Arbor Westmark, Signal Omni, CAPiTA Indoor FK, or a 2012 Destroyer DoubleDog. Between the Grip and DH2.5, definitely the Grip.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidey View Post
However the Ride DH 2.5 looks to me like it could be the slightly more playful REPLACEMENT for said Custom saving cash (cos i can then sell it) and the feeling "i should've brought my other board today".
This is the ultimate Ride DH2.4/2.5 thread:
DH2.4/2.5 First Impressions - Ride Snowboards - Ride Nation Forum

There is also a good review in this forum:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...e-dh2-4-a.html
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have the DH2 LE, it is definitely a stiff deck. I like it though. From what I understand about the grip is that is makes a great POW board if you size up or a great park stick of you size down. For all around riding I am not sure it is what your looking for. I could be wrong though, as I have never ridden one.
conwayeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for your responses guys, especially those reviews joe, really helpful. I spent hours googling and never found them!

I've gone and bought the DH 2.5 in a 155 - i'm 5'9", 160lbs size 9. Felt like i'd gone with my heart over my head as i did it but now feel totally happy this board will slay it everywhere. Can't wait to get it monday, ride it saturday!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well I hate to ruin your bubble... but good luck jibbing it at all. Or buttering.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

fair enough, i'll let you know how i get on with it in a couple of weeks. Worst case scenario i'll hate it, sell it and learn a lesson. Not the end of the world!