Reverse Camber and Rocker Difference? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Reverse Camber and Rocker Difference?

Yeah, im buying new board.. and i dont know those things so well, so im just asking easy question is there any difference between reverse camber and rocker? or are those the same thing:P

please answer
xzibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rocker is a type of reverse camber. There are many different types of reverse camber(RC). There are full rockers like Arbor, and Burton (can't remember more off the top of my head). Then there are combos like Neversummer, Capita, Lib Tech, and DC to name a few. Anything from rocker between your feet with camber at the nose and tail or the opposite with something like zero camber or camber between your feet and rocker at the tip and tail.
ptapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rocker Guide - What is "Rocker" and why does it matter? | evo

As has been said there are various combinations of rocker and camber. I ride a neversummer and love it.

Some more googling should get you up to speed.
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

To simplify it even further:

Rocker: the board it pressed upon creation to have a rocking chair bottom. Meaning the pressure is in the center. The benefit is, from the best of my knowledge, that it allows you to press and Ollie easier, as well as helps prevent you from catching and edge when transitioning from edge to edge. A number of park boards are rockered for it's ease of movement.

Camber is the traditional and the exact opposite. The board, when viewed from
The side on a flat surface, will have contact points under the bindings or just outside towards the ends. The benefit of camber is greater control at speed. Although camber may take more getting used to, you have more edge pressure which allows greater stability and pressure. I.e. Less chance of washing out when you've gotta make an "Ohhh Shiii..." stop.

Companies like never summer and others use R/C tech. Rocker in the middle, camber under the bindings. They're like hybrids are to the auto industy. The best of both worlds.

Hope I helped.
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
To simplify it even further:

Rocker: the board it pressed upon creation to have a rocking chair bottom. Meaning the pressure is in the center. The benefit is, from the best of my knowledge, that it allows you to press and Ollie easier, as well as helps prevent you from catching and edge when transitioning from edge to edge. A number of park boards are rockered for it's ease of movement.

Camber is the traditional and the exact opposite. The board, when viewed from
The side on a flat surface, will have contact points under the bindings or just outside towards the ends. The benefit of camber is greater control at speed. Although camber may take more getting used to, you have more edge pressure which allows greater stability and pressure. I.e. Less chance of washing out when you've gotta make an "Ohhh Shiii..." stop.

Companies like never summer and others use R/C tech. Rocker in the middle, camber under the bindings. They're like hybrids are to the auto industy. The best of both worlds.

Hope I helped.
this even helped me and i thought i knew a good amount on both

I also feel that the rocker article was very PRO rocker and didn't really list any cons or why the regular camber is good

Last edited by alecdude88; 01-13-2011 at 04:17 PM.
alecdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

as I understand it camber is still the best for carving and advanced jumping/pipe riding. Rocker introduces some playfulness to riding, which is why I went with a hybrid. Pure rockers are pretty much geared to pure park rats and butter fanatics.
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
Pure rockers are pretty much geared to pure park rats and butter fanatics.
I've been riding K2's jib rocker for a month and a half now and I have had no problem with chatter (maybe the harshmellow is helping), holding edges on groomers or floating in powder. I know the physics suggest otherwise, but I can ride these boards on anything...
Music Moves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

...and there's always a flatkick board that carves well, pops like a dream but is still very playful.
earl_je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl_je View Post
...and there's always a flatkick board that carves well, pops like a dream but is still very playful.
i dont know about carving but the last 2 parts sound like an artifact to me
thtrussiankid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

some additional reading on the topic

The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Camber Theories Explained
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote