I don't want to use rentals anymore. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I don't want to use rentals anymore.

Hi everyone, this will be my first board so I'm pretty unfamiliar with what kind of board to get and also what companies to avoid.

I am:
6'1"
230 lbs
amateur level
mostly freeriding
goofy stance
size 12 boots
board sizes:161-163 (what I usually get from rentals)

Board use
-decent for mountain and parks
-high speeds sometimes
-beginning to learn tricks like ollies and, wheelies, and butters
-decent levels of powder usually, never icy.

Budget:
$250

Any advice would help, thanks for your time.
DAMNitzHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

For $250 your going to have to find something used or on sale.

There is a used Ride Machete 161 wide with Flow bindings on eBay right now, could end up being a solid deal and sounds like it would suit your needs. Great all mountain board.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default one idea

At that price point I would personally go with he sierra reverse crew built on the Burton Custom platform (sort of) See the reviews. If you get it from their website. You can get killer bindings cheap. You can also get them on ebay or craigslist often.

Sierra Reverse Crew Snowboard Reviews & Sale | trusnow.com
Principal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principal View Post
At that price point I would personally go with he sierra reverse crew built on the Burton Custom platform (sort of) See the reviews. If you get it from their website. You can get killer bindings cheap. You can also get them on ebay or craigslist often.

Stop spamming.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Your definition of spamming is a curious thing to me. Same question asked by one person gets the same semi-infomred based on experience OPINION from me as the next. If being consistent is samming, guilty. I don't have a dog in the fight so I don't get you.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for such quick replies!

Yeah, I knew that with the budget that the board is almost guaranteed to be used, but I love the sport and being a college student doesn't help. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes View Post
For $250 your going to have to find something used or on sale.

There is a used Ride Machete 161 wide with Flow bindings on eBay right now, could end up being a solid deal and sounds like it would suit your needs. Great all mountain board.
The ride machete board looks very nice so I'll definitely keep an eye on it thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principal View Post

That's a sick board! Thanks for the advice.

How would the Ride Machete compare to a NS Legacy board?

Last edited by DAMNitzHENRY; 01-13-2011 at 11:49 PM.
DAMNitzHENRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Just my two cents...

AVOID SIERRA BOARDS. They are cheaply manufactured boards with Sierra's name slapped on it. They market it as being a popular model from a name brand like Sierra Crew being a Burton Custom.

While it is true that Burton manufactures the Sierra Crew for them, it is made from an old Custom mold from at least two years prior. Also, it is definitely not made from the same quality materials as the Custom.

This is Evidenced by the many reviews about Sierra boards breaking easily that you can find in these very forums as well as in other places around the Net. Suspicious that it's supposed to be a 2008 Custom, yet you don't hear as many REAL Customs breaking as easily when there are literally thousands more of them out there.

Will the Sierra get you down the mountain? Certainly. Will it allow you to have fun? Certainly. Will it last long? Questionable. Cheap now, but might end up being much more expensive in the long run when you need to replace it.

Sierra boards used to get pushed quite a bit around these forums. There's probably a reason why you rarely see people recommending them now.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am not say Sierra is all that, but we have five of them in the neighborhood some ridden pretty hard and have not had one problem and their v-rocker like performcnce has been good. In addition there are dozens of positive reviews on trusnow. So maybe they can't take a gorilla pounding, but the average rider seems to be pleased. Maybe someone here has FIRSTHAND experience different than ours.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, I had a Sierra Crew and the nose broke for no reason the second time I used it, riding only groomers and tracked powder, so I'd say that's a problem.

Haven't heard back about warranty replacement/credit, BTW, so I went out and bought a K2 Raygun, which was MUCH MUCH better for little novice me. I rode all blues for the first time yesterday.
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Point well taken. I have heard bad press about the crew from others, but we don't have those.