Advice for a noobie's first snowboard? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for a noobie's first snowboard?

So I live in Washington, and this season, I switched from four years of skiing/skiing blacks, to starting snowboarding. I have been up four times, two of those times on the actual lift (doing both green and blue each time). I'm at the point where falling isn't AS common, I can get off the lift normally, etc. I'm a regular rider, or so I think anyway (I've been riding switch somewhat, but to be frank I am still a bit unsure. It feels natural, but so does goofy. Haha, how vague).

I used my friend's old board for those four times. It is a Ride Control, and it's a year or two old. I forget what the bindings were. He's offered to sell it to me for $150, bindings included.

So I'm a male, I weigh somewhere between 130-135. I'm 5'7" or 5'8". My shoe size is either 10 1/2 or 11, the former I think. The ride board served me well, and it was pretty flexible, but I'm still uncertain. So I'd like some help on this, haha.

1. So should I buy a "good" model from a previous year, but used, or a new model from this year?
2. I'd be willing to shell out $500ish max.
3. I've heard great things about NSI, GNU, and Libtech. I hear these three use special patented technology which makes riding easier/more efficient/what have you. But is it worth a relatively new comer's money to buy a 2011 board?
4. I don't think I'll be doing the park any time soon.
5. What brands should I look for? Or should I avoid the brand-idea and go for individual models from an array of companies. There are ALOT of snowboard companies...

Uh...ya. I guess that's it for now. If you could also recommend some goggles, bindings, and a helmet, that'd be great too!
Poseidenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

any of the companys you mentioned have great boards for under $500. for learning id say any kind of rocker/rc tech would be fine but untill you start to get better id stay away from camber as its much easier to bite and it takes a little more effort to do anything (turning ollies carving, anything!) I love camber boards and i didnt really have the opportunity to learn on rocker and i wish i had. but anyway you said your doing blue runs too so if you like the feel of camber go ahead. sorry i cant reccomend specific boards cuz i dont know what you ride. im assuming just groomers if your learning so any kind of all- mountain board would be fine

Why do i have a feeling someone is gonna post after me with a post that will pwn mine.... hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehaus View Post
Snowolf and I have came to an agreement that it was for sure Poutanen's fault. I vote for one year of probation and being forced to ride skis til death.
mrjimyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What do you mean by $500? For just a board? Board + bindings? Or the whole cookie, i.e., board, bindings, and boots?

If you are willing to spend that much for just a board, you have a whole lot of options available. If you want to do a board + bindings, you still have good options.

But first, let me ask you about that Ride Control. What size is it and what year? Find out the binding specs as well. That might actually be a great deal for $150 and you can use the left over money for a good pair of boots or even another board!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
What do you mean by $500? For just a board? Board + bindings? Or the whole cookie, i.e., board, bindings, and boots?

If you are willing to spend that much for just a board, you have a whole lot of options available. If you want to do a board + bindings, you still have good options.

But first, let me ask you about that Ride Control. What size is it and what year? Find out the binding specs as well. That might actually be a great deal for $150 and you can use the left over money for a good pair of boots or even another board!
I couldn't agree more with Leo on this one. Use the extra scratch for some nice solid gloves, some cold weather gear (under armor...etc), and a helmet. If you have an accessible board available for that price, it'd be silly not to hop on it. Put away some of the money for an off season board. Still got a few months to get more comfortable with that Ride. The more time you spend on it, the more sure you'll be of what kind of board you want. Although camber may be a little harder to learn on, its got a ton of stability. Best of luck, sir. Let Leo lead you into the light. He definitely knows his stuff.
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

The board is about a 146 I think, and it is two years old max. The bindings are ride also. Uh if I can get more information I'll let you know. I cannot find the ride control design that this snowboard has, but I know it's fairly recent.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The board is just a tad small, but if it and the bindings are only two seasons old and in really good condition, I'd go with what Leo said and pick it up. Save the money for other gear or to pick up a more advanced board down the road.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

bumpbumpbump
Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

146 is a tad small for you as someone mentioned. For that board, you want something in the 150-153 range.

However, 146 will still ride fine. It'll just be a bit softer than it's supposed to be. For $150, that board and bindings is a pretty good deal. I'm guessing the bindings are a Ride LX or EX. That's fine. Just give the setup a once over and make sure it's in working condition.

You could also negotiate the price down

Just get it. You'll definitely want something more in a season or two, but at that price, it's worth it.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

They are Ride LS bindings.