Epoxy? Board is delaminating.. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Epoxy? Board is delaminating..

The guy at the shop told me to use epoxy to put down a piece of the top layer that is sticking up. Does this sound like a good idea? Will any epoxy work? (if there is a difference)

Thanks! Just want it fixed before I go on Saturday.
Ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

No one? This forum is so dead...
Ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This has been covered before in several threads. Find an epoxy that has some flexibility to it and works in cold conditions. Yes this is a good idea...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yes use epoxy...
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Use the two tube, slow dry, marine grade epoxy. Fill, clamp, wait to fully dry, go. Easy as that.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Be careful.
Dont use a 5 minute epoxy. It cures VERY fast, and you will have a mess on your hands and probably not have time to smash down the piece you are working with to hold.

Get several clamps ready, practice run it. Get the clamps on there as fast and as well as you think you should to hold pieces together while the epoxy cures.

if you dont do this, you will be sorry.

Using a slower dry epoxy not only gives you more time to work with it, it also gives more strength. The only reason why I use a 5 min epoxy is if I need more strength than a good glue like CA, but dont want to sit there holding two pieces together for 15 minutes.

Just be careful, practice run including using some tongue depressors or Popsicle sticks for practice. You most likely will use these to smear the stuff in there. Remember that when you smash the two halves together, you will have run off. Clean that stuff off vigorously as soon as you can because it will be hard to very soon.

make sure you mix the two parts as evenly as possible. I use old plastic cups cut down to the very bottoms , squirt some of the first part on one side, eyeball what I squirted in that one side and then squirt about the same hardener on the other side, eyeball that, once both globs of stuff look good, mix it up for about 30 seconds with the stick and then carefully add epoxy to the parts that need glued.

If you are only bonding small pieces together, you might want to find something that is thin and small enough to work the epoxy in. Like if it is just the side of the board, and maybe only 1/2" in and about 3" down, then maybe a piece of thin cardboard is all that is needed to work it in there and smear it around.

Sorry for the novel on epoxy, many others might have more experience but reading as much info as possible helps you prepare yourself.

Oh and another thing about the 5 min epoxy, it cures really fast. The curing causes ALOT of heat. If you are bonding something that is delaminating, I doubt you want to add more heat to the issue at this point. I would wait about 72 hours before I would touch an iron to that area too.

Should note, I'm not a pro or even an amateur at fixing snowboards, just someone that has bonded his fair share of things together, including body parts.

As for the epoxy types, someone mentioned flexible. Not sure such a thing exists to be honest but maybe it does. Epoxy is usually rock hard when cured.

Last edited by Sincraft; 01-16-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Sincraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttam View Post
No one? This forum is so dead...
Never underestimate the bump. =P
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ski Snowboard P-tex Base Repair Tools

checkout that site and look at the 6 hour epoxy. Claims flexible and used for repairs such as yours. They have tools there too if needed.

Looks good.
Sincraft is offline   Reply With Quote