Okay, Really?!? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Okay, Really?!?

So in the hopes of solidifying a potential first board for this beginner, I went to a local shop yesterday. They are supposed to be fairly reputable and knowledgeable. I kinda have been leaning towards Burton Ruler boots, k2 brigade board, and open on bindings. I went in there open minded, as I don't deny my ignorance of gear available. From the word go, the only brand I was shown of all three components was Burton. He just kept saying they are the innovators, and they set the standard every year. For boards, boots, and bindings... Did I just land a fanboy trying to sell me on what he uses, or are all things Burton really the cats meow? From other sports I'm involved in, I run across these guys frequently and that's okay. While I don't doubt Burton's quality, I find it hard to believe that other options aren't worth exploring.

Any thoughts? I'd really like to get into a new quality setup for under $600 that will last multiple seasons...
ryninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There are myriad options other (better?) than Burton.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

There is definitely more great stuff out there than Burton. Try a different shop if that one is Burton heavy.
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by basso4735 View Post
There is definitely more great stuff out there than Burton. Try a different shop if that one is Burton heavy.
Or just ask for recommendations on here? I"m sure there are plenty of people who would offer up suggestions along the lines of your boarding preference. Plus online is almost always cheaper than your local shop. I'm not saying I want all local shops out of business...but not everyone can afford paying top dollar. Best of luck.
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It could be that shop employees get a commission, and he was trying to push the most expensive stuff

Your first instict on the K2 Brigade was a good one, I'm on my second year on mine and still like it alot. Burton is not the do all end all like that guy said, and I question the quality after watching my brothers top sheet start to delam after 2 days of riding. There's tons of good stuff out there, if you post your specs and what you plan on riding someone around here will help out.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Or just ask for recommendations on here? I"m sure there are plenty of people who would offer up suggestions along the lines of your boarding preference. Plus online is almost always cheaper than your local shop. I'm not saying I want all local shops out of business...but not everyone can afford paying top dollar. Best of luck.
That's fine, but if you're new I still feel that actually going into a shop and actually touching a board, bindings, and of course boots it is helpful.
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

As far as I know, most shops have a minimum amount of Burton they need to sell to meet their obligations, so staff usually get bonuses on Burton gear. Every shop kid around here pushes Burton...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by basso4735 View Post
That's fine, but if you're new I still feel that actually going into a shop and actually touching a board, bindings, and of course boots it is helpful.
Or he could do a combination of the two. Advice here, narrow down the list, and then go and molest said options in the shop.

And if you are just using the shop to molest their products, at least walk away with something from them. I admit, I've done this many times for electronics, but I always give my business in some other fashion.

Example: I want to handle computer mice before buying online. I go to Best Buy (big corpo, I know) to handle the mouse, then pick up an ink cartridge for my printer and go home to order mouse.

I'd feel less guilty if it was some over-saturated big box "snowboard shop" like Sports Authority though

As for Burton products, they have many great gear. They also have a lot of so-so products. The reason being that they have gear for every single level of rider and anything in between. They also have the biggest market share in snowboarding so of course you're going to hear more stories of defects out of them. That does not necessarily mean that their products are inferior as their defect ratio is probably smaller than a lot of companies.

While I won't argue their products run at a price premium for anything above entry level, it only applies to current year products. After discounts, we're talking differences of like $20.

The shop kid you spoke for does sound like a fan. There are tons of "I need everything Burton" riders out there. Some new, some really great riders. Don't mind them. Explore your options. You might find yourself actually liking a Burton board and K2 bindings or some type of similar combination. Mix and match bro.

What's your stats?

Weight
Boot Size
Height

Are you a brand new snowboarder? Or are you just a beginner that has already seen some snow time looking for your own setup now? Have you already figured out what you want to focus on? E.g., park (jib or jumps?), all-mountain, etc..
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yes there are a ton of other companies out there other than burton but lets face it. its your first set up and you have nothing to compare it to. whether is burton, k2, never summer or whatever its all quality gear that will last a beginner years. honestly, find the best deal you can on gear thats in your size. your going to ride it a couple seasons, get better and want new stuff anyway.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, if its a decently sized shop, they might have different employees on rotation. when i got my boots, the first time i went, the guy was pretty terse and forceful. he pushed stuff on me. granted, at that time i was only toying with the idea of getting my own board so maybe that came across unintentionally. second time i went, i got a different guy, was really nice and actually listened to my requests (of getting boa boots) and since he was nice, i felt no problem asking him to keep bringing me boots to try . but, he(and i) forgot about the heat molding so i had to go back again yesterday. Again a third guy, who was also nice as hell got me all set up. Although i did run into the first guy i met, who was still looked pretty pissed. so maybe if the store is decently sized, you might get a different person who can make a world of difference.
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote