Looking to buy first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Looking to buy first board

Hey,

I'm looking at buying my first board and seeking some pointers. I'm fairly new to snowboarding, had about 14 days out on the slopes a couple of years ago now, and a few days on indoor slopes. So I still consider myself a beginner.

I'd like a board which is good for both mountain riding, and also doing jumps/tricks on the mountain. The park might appeal to me later down the line, but I don't think I'll be heading into that territory for a while.

One board I very like the sounds of so far is the K2 Raygun. I've heard good things about the progress-ability of this board, and also reviews saying it's good for both jumps and mountain riding, and good for beginners as it has a catch free rocker?

I'm going again for a week next month, so would love to get this nailed.

What does everyone here think of the Raygun, and its advantages/disadvantages, and compared to boards in its price range. Any other boards you would recommend over the Raygun, and why?

I'd like to keep my budget to around 600 for board, boots and bindings. But will be able to extend it, if it means a much better riding experience.

Also, what does everyone think of the step-through bindings? Bindings such as K2 CTS/CTX. Are there any disadvantage of using these over standard bindings. I like the idea of being able to simply step into the bindings and only having to clip up the back. But what are the fallbacks? Do these ever come undone while riding?

My Height: 5'10"
My Weight: 60KG / 135lbs

cheers!

Last edited by ellhans; 01-14-2011 at 09:20 AM.
ellhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Bump... Anyone?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

never used the raygun, but i do like my flow bindings.
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do you have any issues with them or are there any disadvantages to using them?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

no, i really like them. i even managed once to lock the highback on the lift and skated off the ramp right back down the slope, left my friends jealous but they caught up to me in the end . only trouble was when i was skating up the hill and stepped into a soft patch and fell and had to roll over to get my foot out of the binding but that only happened once cos i went down a wrong intersection.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, which flow bindings are you using? The ones I'm thinking of are the K2 Cinch CTC
Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I've got the Flow Flite 1's. Bottom of the line for step ins. Since, I've gotten some Union Forces. After 3-4 times, the luxery of stepping in was overshadowed by my desire to get better.

With my Flow's, I can't get tight enough in the bindings. There's no ratchet on them, so you have to tighten them as best you can without. The downside is that if you tighten them at home and get them too tight, they're super hard to step in to. If you don't over tighten them, you end up with a lot of wiggle room. I could feel my boot shifting mid run as I would traverse from edge to edge. I REALLY didn't like the feeling.

I even bought Flow boots + bindings. So it's even by the same company.

Just my 2 cents on step ins.
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellhans View Post
Thanks for the info, which flow bindings are you using? The ones I'm thinking of are the K2 Cinch CTC
K2 Cinchs are not Flow bindings. Cinchs are K2s take on quick entry bindings. If you really want easy entry bindings I'd personally get flows over the K2s Cinchs. I haven't really heard great things about the Cinchs...kinda bulky and heavy...and some ppl have problems with the closure.

In regards to boards....Raygun is a good choice to look at. Also checkout the Arbor Formula...I think for 300 bucks its a really good deal as it comes with their rocker system and griptech edges. Company is solid too.
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

i got the nxt atse. i thought it was pretty secure, no slipping around in bindings. i did take like 2 hours at home to tweak the bindings on the board just right though.

edit: igot them just tight enough that i can step in, and wiggle a bit, to lock the highback, but i cannot easily tighten the highback on the lift. and never tried the k2 cinch but i did see that in the store. the part where the straps are that opens up seemed pretty stiff to me, but i'm guessing once its bolted onto a board its easier to leverage it open.

Last edited by dasob85; 01-17-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
I've got the Flow Flite 1's. Bottom of the line for step ins. Since, I've gotten some Union Forces. After 3-4 times, the luxery of stepping in was overshadowed by my desire to get better.

With my Flow's, I can't get tight enough in the bindings. There's no ratchet on them, so you have to tighten them as best you can without. The downside is that if you tighten them at home and get them too tight, they're super hard to step in to. If you don't over tighten them, you end up with a lot of wiggle room. I could feel my boot shifting mid run as I would traverse from edge to edge. I REALLY didn't like the feeling.

I even bought Flow boots + bindings. So it's even by the same company.

Just my 2 cents on step ins.
I believe from 2008 and on, all Flows have mini ratchets now. They work like normal ratchets. The SE versions of Flows are even better in that the two inner straps are tooless adjustments. Super easy to set up in my opinion. Stepping in does take some getting used to if you like the cap tight. I set mine tight and can step in fine.