Narrow down my list? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Narrow down my list?

So I'm considering getting a new board at the end of this season when everything is discounted. I'm looking for an all resort rocker or hybrid board. It needs to be able to hold its own on ice too since I'm on the east coast.

I've done a little research and compiled a rough draft of boards. You can recommend other boards or remove some on my list for whatever reason. I haven't ridden any of these and don't really have an opportunity to so I only have recommendations to go by.

Never Summer Legacy
Burton Joystick
GNU Riders Choice
Lib Tech T.Rice
Lib Tech Skate Banana

Last edited by JRZBoarder; 01-15-2011 at 09:41 PM.
JRZBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

lib tech TRS seems like it would kill it for your riding or actually maybe the gnu riders choice it is like the same as the TRS except its got a sintered instead of the TRS having a TNT base
snowboarder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

i've got the turbo dream and i absolutely love it. only reason i would not suggest it for you is because you mention you'll be doing a lot of east coast ice riding, so if i were you i'd go for something with magne-traction. of the three with magne-traction i'd go for the t. rice.
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yea I was looking at those also, but I didn't mention that I'm a size 13. I like to have a board that's roughly 26cm wide give or take .2 or so. The TRS doesn't come that wide and the wide version of the riders choice has a 26.8 which is wider than I need and would be a little slower edge to edge. I know it's hard to base the right width off waist width alone though so maybe it would be fine I'd have to check it out in person.

I've only ever ridden on the east coast. It's not even really that icey where I ride it's just halfway through the day the snow gets pushed around so it exposes the hard pack base. It occasionally does get icey though so the magne-traction or frostbite edges or whatever technology is out there for ice would really help.

Last edited by JRZBoarder; 01-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZBoarder View Post
Yea I was looking at those also, but I didn't mention that I'm a size 13. I like to have a board that's roughly 26cm wide give or take .2 or so. The TRS doesn't come that wide and the wide version of the riders choice has a 26.8 which is wider than I need and would be a little slower edge to edge. I know it's hard to base the right width off waist width alone though so maybe it would be fine I'd have to check it out in person.

I've only ever ridden on the east coast. It's not even really that icey where I ride it's just halfway through the day the snow gets pushed around so it exposes the hard pack base. It occasionally does get icey though so the magne-traction or frostbite edges or whatever technology is out there for ice would really help.
honestly, you wont have trouble with a waist that wide, especially with a 13. i ride a 26.5 waist width and i have 11's... you can't really tell the difference. the riders choice kills it dude i ride east coast too and magnetraction is the best out there for the icy conditions we tend to have
Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just bought a Riders Choice. I got the wide board and fucking love it. It is awesome. It has the C2BTX, banana camber hybrid. I don't know how I ever rode without it.
that1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok so the Riders Choice is sounding pretty good.

I'm also still considering the Lib Tech T.Rice & Skate Banana, Burton Joystick, and the NS Legacy if anyone has any experience with those. Also have some questions if anyone could answer them.

The Riders Choice and T. Rice seems like they have the same technology so what's the main difference between them? the Skate Banana is reverse camber so what are the advantages/disadvantages of that compared with the hybrid? And than how does the Joystick and Legacy compare to those? I know the Joystick is full rocker while the Legacy is a hybrid.

Thanks for helping.

Last edited by JRZBoarder; 01-15-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

the difference between the T. Rice and the riders choice is the T. Rice is pretty stiff and the riders choice is less stiff and probably going to be a little bit more park orientated but still being able to kill it all cant go wrong with the riders choice
snowboarder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I went with the riders choice over the T Rice and the Dark series because it is a lil more flexible. It still bombs down the hill really fast, but you can hit jumps and jibs with it and still have some forgiveness on landings. The banana (and other rockers I assume) can get a bit squirrely at super high speeds. If you are going to be mostly park, then the Skate Banana is what you want. If you are riding both park, steeps, and going mach 10, get the Riders Choice.

Hope that helps.
that1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok riders choice sounds like the best match then. I do basically everything bombing, carving, buttering, jibbing, jumps, whatever. It's just being from NJ I don't really ride much powder or do any back country or anything like that.

How much difference will there be between my current board, a '10 camber burton custom, and the rider's choice? I'm on my 2nd season on the custom and it's been great, but I wanted something a little more "playful" with a little more flex which should come naturally from a reverse camber. The custom is a 165 so very stable, but not the best for the park.

Also do you think there will still be leftovers at the end of the season? This board would be for next season and plus I like saving money by getting them at a discount.

EDIT: As far as size goes I'm thinking the 158. I weigh 185 does that sound good?

Last edited by JRZBoarder; 01-15-2011 at 11:48 PM.