Question about snowboarding goggles fogging up... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
ahrenba

Default Question about snowboarding goggles fogging up...

Hey guys,

A couple of days ago, I bought the Dragon DX snowboarding goggle. Many people said that they have never experienced fog-up with it.

However, I just went up the slopes todays, and had a number of frequent fog ups. My goal with this post is to see if I am doing something wrong.

They especially fogged up when I pulled them up and rested them on the top of my head.

Questions:
1. Is it ok to have your goggle foam on top of something like a beanie, or should it be directly on your face?
2. So, what are some reasons why a goggle would fog up?
3. What are some tips to reduce fogging?
4. If they do fog, what's the best way to get rid of the fog up on the slopes?

Also, I noticed that a couple times, there were a few condensation spots in between the double lens? How the heck would this happen?

Advice? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Edge

ok, heres the deal with fogging goggles, I would know because i also paintball.

When you rest any type of goggles snowboard, or being paintball FYI, umm your sweating and the condensation and wetness on the top of your head along with the heat from your head will cause the googles to fog.

I had my goggles on top of my skullie today and they were fine, could be your lenses- get anti fog if possible.

Reducing fog either spit on them and wipe it off or you could buy special solution to put on your googles with anit-fog.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
ahrenba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
ok, heres the deal with fogging goggles, I would know because i also paintball.

When you rest any type of goggles snowboard, or being paintball FYI, umm your sweating and the condensation and wetness on the top of your head along with the heat from your head will cause the googles to fog.

I had my goggles on top of my skullie today and they were fine, could be your lenses- get anti fog if possible.

Reducing fog either spit on them and wipe it off or you could buy special solution to put on your googles with anit-fog.
Thanks for the reply. The reason why I am so baffled by this is because I have heard a ton of reports that these goggles rarely ever fog. The goggles are supposedly anti-fog, double lensed, and have ventilation.

I am also concerned about the condensation spots between lenses.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
andrew_schenk

i work at a paintball field and to stop fogging we mix a small amount of dish soap with water and spray it on the lenses (spray on the inside)... and let it dry, the soap creates a clear film over the lens. only use enough soap to slightly change the colour of the water, depending how much water you use, you may only need one small squirt of soap.
for diving i spit in my mask.

i was talking to a guy who works at one of my local board shops and he is sponsored by dragon and even he said dragons will fog more than other goggles in the same price range... he said it will happen alot if you lift them off your face alot... this is the thing that turned me away from them... i already own spy blizzards and have never had a problem, so i went with spy orbits instead
Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

OK, I used to have a big problems with fog, too. Now, its all fixed. Here are a few things to consider:

(1) The first thing to check is that the goggles fit your face correctlly. Goggles come in different sizes. Make sure you have the right size.

(2) NEVER touch the inside of googles with you hands. If so, you can mess-up the anti-fog stuff.

(3) NEVER take your goggles off and put them on your head when you are outside. Put them on your face, and don't take them off until either (a) they are fogged up, or (b) your done riding for awhile. If they do fog-up, take them off, and let them dry on their own.

(4) Losen the neck of your jacket-up when you are in the lift line. Heat can rise-up from your body, and exit the top of your jacket. If your jacket is closed-up, the heat will go right-up to your head, and goggles. This can cause fog. Part of this is also to not overdress. Be warm, but not too warm. Exercise, skiing, or any movement generates heat and if sweat is forming on your forehead, your goggles fog up. Take off a few layers until you are comfortable.

(5) I found have that if your wear your googles OVER something (i.e. hat, beenie, mask, etc), that the thinner the material, the better. If it something really thick, the goggles have to deal with different "levels," and can thus cause some problems.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
rektek

if new goggles are fogging take them back, especially if there fogging between the lenses. New goggles shouldn't fog even if you breath on em.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

even though most of these people are giving you good advice, i hate to brake it to you but its cause you bought dx's. its not really the goggles themselves its just that there not high end (like $85 or more). some might say you dont need goggles that expensive but its so worth it. my friend has the smith Phenoms and he can breath on them, up into them, put them on is head, eat sh!t, anything and they dont fog, and we hike the park. another friend has anon figments which he often describes to people as sex for you face. they perform just like the Phenoms with the whole fog thing. just get some anons, the figments are only like $85 maybe $90

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

I wonder if anyone here SCUBA dives also?

I dive quite a bit, and we use Sea Drops on the inside of the lens to eliminate fogging. Yes, spit does work quite well also.

I just don't have the guts to try Sea Drops on my Oakley Wisdoms for fear of ruining the factory coating. I don't have any problem with the Oaks fogging up or anything, but I love how Sea Drops keeps everything crystal clear while diving.
stevetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
ahrenba

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_schenk View Post
i work at a paintball field and to stop fogging we mix a small amount of dish soap with water and spray it on the lenses (spray on the inside)... and let it dry, the soap creates a clear film over the lens. only use enough soap to slightly change the colour of the water, depending how much water you use, you may only need one small squirt of soap.
for diving i spit in my mask.

i was talking to a guy who works at one of my local board shops and he is sponsored by dragon and even he said dragons will fog more than other goggles in the same price range... he said it will happen alot if you lift them off your face alot... this is the thing that turned me away from them... i already own spy blizzards and have never had a problem, so i went with spy orbits instead
Thanks for the tips. That sucks about what your friend says... Shoot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
OK, I used to have a big problems with fog, too. Now, its all fixed. Here are a few things to consider:

(1) The first thing to check is that the goggles fit your face correctlly. Goggles come in different sizes. Make sure you have the right size.

(2) NEVER touch the inside of googles with you hands. If so, you can mess-up the anti-fog stuff.

(3) NEVER take your goggles off and put them on your head when you are outside. Put them on your face, and don't take them off until either (a) they are fogged up, or (b) your done riding for awhile. If they do fog-up, take them off, and let them dry on their own.

(4) Losen the neck of your jacket-up when you are in the lift line. Heat can rise-up from your body, and exit the top of your jacket. If your jacket is closed-up, the heat will go right-up to your head, and goggles. This can cause fog. Part of this is also to not overdress. Be warm, but not too warm. Exercise, skiing, or any movement generates heat and if sweat is forming on your forehead, your goggles fog up. Take off a few layers until you are comfortable.

(5) I found have that if your wear your googles OVER something (i.e. hat, beenie, mask, etc), that the thinner the material, the better. If it something really thick, the goggles have to deal with different "levels," and can thus cause some problems.
Nice! Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure to consider these next time up on the slopes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rektek View Post
if new goggles are fogging take them back, especially if there fogging between the lenses. New goggles shouldn't fog even if you breath on em.
Yeah, I am debating whether to take these back. Do you think I can return them after I wore them once? Do any of you know what Sports Authority's return policy is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
even though most of these people are giving you good advice, i hate to brake it to you but its cause you bought dx's. its not really the goggles themselves its just that there not high end (like $85 or more). some might say you dont need goggles that expensive but its so worth it. my friend has the smith Phenoms and he can breath on them, up into them, put them on is head, eat sh!t, anything and they dont fog, and we hike the park. another friend has anon figments which he often describes to people as sex for you face. they perform just like the Phenoms with the whole fog thing. just get some anons, the figments are only like $85 maybe $90
Damn...Thanks for the advice on the Phenoms and Figments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post
I wonder if anyone here SCUBA dives also?

I dive quite a bit, and we use Sea Drops on the inside of the lens to eliminate fogging. Yes, spit does work quite well also.

I just don't have the guts to try Sea Drops on my Oakley Wisdoms for fear of ruining the factory coating. I don't have any problem with the Oaks fogging up or anything, but I love how Sea Drops keeps everything crystal clear while diving.
Nice, I may have to try that if I keeps these goggles.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rektek View Post
New goggles shouldn't fog even if you breath on em.
That could possibly the dumbest post in this thread.

Keep the goggles off the top of your head and keep the vents clear of snow.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote