Can I get away with a 158cm board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I get away with a 158cm board?

I'm 6', 200 and I was wondering if I can get away with a 158-ish board. I currently ride a 163cm board, but I would like my new one to be a bit shorter (hopefully making it a bit more playful, and easier to spin with). I pretty much ride groomers most of the year. We are lucky to get a 8" pow day once a year around here. We have accumulated almost 60" of snow in MN this year, and I have only had one day of decent powder riding the whole season. My wife and I make out about 20 times a year. I was just curious if I could sneak down to a 158 or am I better off staying around 161. I am not a big park guru, but I do want my next board to be a little shorter if possible. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
160-161 would be much better suited to you.

16 Gnu Swallow Tail Carver . 16 NS West . 15 NS Snowtrooper BIA
16 Burton Genesis X . 15 Now Drive
16 Flow Talon . 14 Flow Hylite
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Sure you can ride a 158. I'm about the same size as you and ride a 157 or a 159 most days, I do ride a 166 on powder days though.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Sure you can ride a 158. I'm about the same size as you and ride a 157 or a 159 most days, I do ride a 166 on powder days though.
What's powder? Yeah, no powder around here. I think I am going to hunt down something in 158-59 with some camber in it. Maybe a hybrid. I'm too afraid that reverse camber is going to have a lot less pop out on the mountain.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

You can definitely get away with a 158. However, as Triple stated, a 161 would better suit your riding style.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoRidr View Post
What's powder? Yeah, no powder around here. I think I am going to hunt down something in 158-59 with some camber in it. Maybe a hybrid. I'm too afraid that reverse camber is going to have a lot less pop out on the mountain.
Hop on a DH2 then tell me how you feel about rockers and pop.

As for your size, there is no absolute rule for board sizing. Also, different boards will support different weight ranges even within the same brand. It's a good idea to stick with the manufacturer's weight range.

If you're a more experienced rider, this is the one time in your life that the phrase, "size doesn't matter" actually holds true. You will be able to compensate

Just remember, if you choose a size that is under your weight, the board will flex softer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reviews and David Z's rants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoRidr View Post
I'm 6', 200 and I was wondering if I can get away with a 158-ish board.
Wide or regular? A wide board will generally ride a little stiffer (i.e., accommodate a higher top weight) than a regular board of the same model and length. But you shouldn't go wide unless your boot size requires it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

If I found something with some tip and tail rocker I think I would opt for something around 158. The K2 Slayblade with the "flat base" tech could also be an option I could see going a little shorter with. My main problem is not getting the chance to demo anything, so I have been doing a lot of reading on snowboard related topics to find some decent info to help guide me. I am very comfortable riding MidWest rated blacks, so my learining curve will be relatively short if I make any drastic changes to length. So far I am interested in these decks:

Flow Era
K2 Slayblade
NS Evo (maybe SL, but I want something in twin shaped)
Bataleon Evil Twin (if I want to go all RC) guess they call it TBT
Capita Indoor Survival

I will take a look at the DH as well.

If you have any board suggestions pass them along! Thanks.

SnoRidr
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

My friend is 230lbs and rides a 156 NS Revolver. He is mostly park but has hit over 30mph on it a bunch of times. I would say a 159 Machete or DH2 would be awesome for you.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Wide or regular? A wide board will generally ride a little stiffer (i.e., accommodate a higher top weight) than a regular board of the same model and length. But you shouldn't go wide unless your boot size requires it.
Size 10 boot. I have the 08' Shaun White boots. I think they run a little large for their size. Prob more like 10.5.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode