lib tech skate banana verses gnu bnice vs bpro vs ns infinity vs ns Pandora - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default lib tech skate banana verses gnu bnice vs bpro vs ns infinity vs ns Pandora

Ok here is the story basically my girlfriend says she likes all of these and she has no idea what the difference is in any type of snowboard. She is not looking to do tricks she just wants to freeride and help with her carving, turning and stability. She also says to tell you that she does not want a beginner board. Which board do you suggest and why? This is from my phone so I'm sorry if it comes out weird
CrossStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

banana is going to be wider and stiffer than a b-nice; the b-nice vs a b-pro--the b-pro has the c2 so has more pop, less squirrely at high speed bombs...the b-pro is on my list of next board. Currently have a banana, unfortunately snapped the tail of my 2008 b-nice the first day out this season...cambered--really fun board.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Is she a beginner? How much does she weigh? What is her shoe size? How aggressive and naturally athletic is she? All of these boards are good, some are more suited to progressing riders than others.

The B-Nice and Skate Banana are both rockered boards - they will feel much looser, like skating, than the others. I don't know much about the Skate Banana, but the B-Nice is an all-mountain board geared more towards beginner-intermediate progressing riders.

The B-Pro is much stiffer than either and will rip pretty hard. It has C2BTX, which I've heard great things about - it will feel much less loose than the other two.

All of these boards have magnetraction, which holds an excellent edge on ice and hard pack. Some people find the edges too grippy, though.

The Infinity is an all-mountain board with a rocker-camber combination that is similar to Mervin's C2BTX. It has vario grip edges, which help with grip. It is a very good all-mountain board that will be stable enough to do anything, but probably a bit more forgiving than the B-Pro.

The Pandora is a soft park deck. It is very forgiving and easy to ride, with the same vario grip and rocker-camber as the Infinity. For a park board, it is very damp, so it handles the mountain very well.

If you are interested in Mervin's technology, also take a look at the Gnu Pink Park Pickle, Roxy Ollie Pop, and the Roxy Eminence - both are excellent boards with technology that is similar to Gnu's.

Overall, the B-Pro is the most suitable for freeriding, but may not be the most suitable for a new rider. The Infinity and the B-Nice would be next in terms of stiffness. The Skate Banana and the Pandora are the softest and would be the easiest to learn on.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. We just got finished with a 8 day snowboarding trip and she is still a beginner but is getting the hang of it. She has pretty big feet, she needs a 10 1/2 shoe but shes forcing herself to use size 10 because they dont have 10 1/2 shoes anywhere. She weighs about 169 and shes 5'7. Shes not naturally athletic, shes an artist so she didnt do sports growing up. She got into snowboarding because I did, and wants to get better at it and get some better gear.

She is looking more into the never summer boards because there are so many mixed reviews on Libtech/Gnu stuff and its hard to decide, but the never summer seem to be pretty good. Do you think she would be able to use the Never Summer SL just as well as Infinity? And what size would you suggest for either infinity or SL? Or the Gnu/Libtech for that matter... would the Skate Banana be good for General Free riding since she wouldnt be doing park at all? Thanks for your help
Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Foot size is a big issue with snowboards, so if she's got bigger feet she should be able to ride the SL - it will be a bit stiffer than the Infinity though. If you are going for a men's board, then perhaps the Evo would be a better match?

She would be good on something in the mid-150's, but hopefully others will chime in with that info.

Again, I don't know much about the Skate Banana, but this review has both good and bad things to say about it: Snowboard Review: 09-10 Lib Tech Skate Banana BTX – Shayboarder.com

There are probably better options out there if she isn't interested in park.

If you like NS, go for the Infinity in a 156. Can't go wrong!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok so I think we will probably go with the Sl or Infinity since they are so similar. But do you think the more flexibility in the Infinity will make it more unstable at higher speeds when compared to the Sl since it is stiffer? Which one would be more stable?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well I suppose the SL would be more stable because it's a stiffer board. However, that stability will really only come into play at VERY high speeds. If she's a new rider, she won't need that stability for a long time. Also keep in mind that stability doesn't matter at all if she isn't able to control the board (if it's too long or too stiff).

If you want to get her a men's board, I'd recommend the Evo over the SL, since it's still a great all-mountain board, but it's a bit softer. But why get either of those two boards over the Infinity? Men's boards would really only be better for her if she is a highly athletic, highly aggressive, and experienced rider.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey - I ride a GNU B-Pro and completely love it. I've been riding for four years and it easily the best board I've been on - it's very, very forgiving. I just bought my daughter the NS Infinity because she rides much harder than I do and it is a slightly stiffer more 'advanced' board in our opinion - still fun, but anything stiff requires that bit more attention. Also bought my younger daughter the B-Nice because she likes to goof around on her board - she's also a good rider, but not looking to motor down steep inclines, just have a lot of fun on a good, all round board. If your girlfriend is progressing well, she'll continue to do so on the B-Nice - whereas I think she might be held back a bit by the Infinity. Nothing worse than a stiff board to ruin that hard earned confidence!
Rosydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey a few days ago she put a deposit down on a SL at a store with no refunds that exclusively sells Never summer. The owner convinced us that Never Summer was an excellent brand and he has been dealing with them exclusively for 20 years and has never had to send one back. Now Im hearing a lot of suggestions on the Evo. I called him and he said we could add the credit to any board we liked. He also said if I did not like the Sl after using it I could swap it for any other board. Even if its next season. I want to get the better board and make sure it helps me learn and progress rather then slow me down by being too stiff.....HELP! >_>
Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

For my money I'd never buy a men's board when women's boards are designed with women in mind - even taller women with (excuse me) big feet. The SL is going to be pretty challenging - my husband has one and he's a pretty darn confident boarder. Never Summer make superb boards but it honestly doesn't sound as if your girlfriend is ready for anything over the Infinity and even that might take getting use to - though if she's progressing fast it's worth investing in a board she'll ride comfortably soon. Both my daughters have chosen more flexible boards over stiff boards because they're all-mountian riders - they are extremely good but although they ride hard and fast, they also like to play around and do tricks - it's all of a piece of the fun of boarding rather than skiing. Read some of the reviews on boardinsiders.com - note what each woman has to say and particularly her level of riding. The point someone made about it not mattering how stiff the board is if she's can't control it is spot on.
Rosydog is offline   Reply With Quote