Boot recommendation - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
AK-Man

Default Boot recommendation

This may be too general a question but thought I'd ask anyway.

I would like to replace my existing boots. I have a pair of Burton Moto speed lacing boots. The boots fit poorly and a crack has already begun on the crown of the toe area of one boot (my back boot, could be caused by supporting the board on the chair lift).

The lacing system works fine. The boots are uncomfortable (pressure points in the ankle) and I have too much heel lift in them. I purchased them back in November and have about 15 days riding in them.

On cool thing is that I purchased them from backcountry.com and this company will take them back no questions asked for a full refund. Thought that was groovy.

Anyway, now that I am an "intermediate" rider (versus brand new - yep, only took 15 days for me to upgrade myself from beginner to intermediate =) and since I want/need to get new boots I thought I might upgrade from this beginner pair.

I am looking for some ideas for brand and model. Where I live there is a very poor selection to purchase directly and I will have to purcahse online. I realize this is a disadvantage but I can't help that.

I am a large guy, coming in at 252 pounds, 6' 0". I ride an Atomic Cold Smoke 168 cm board. I am willing to spend around $250 for a pair of boots.

Would appreciate hearing from a number of you as to what brand/model boot you like so I can narrow my search. Just searching for "snowboard boots" gets me may too many options!!

Anyway, like I said, pretty general question but if you have experiene with a pair of boots you like would appreciate knowing what brand and model you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

well, boots are really the only thing that asking for advice from us here wont do you all that much good. my friend has 10 year old boots and is looking to upgrade all his gear. when he asked if he needed new boots i just asked him if they were still comfortable (no pressure points) warm and gave good response. when he said yes i said dont buy new ones. until you get to the point where you consider yourself an expert (above advanced and 2 above intermediate) almost any boot well do what you need it to. so i say if your moto's are still comfy and warm and not falling apart, don't upgrade. if you really feel the need to upgrade try: 32, celsius, salomon, and more burtons. the best advice i can give you is to not make any decisions till you try on at least 10 pairs of boots, sounds like a lot, but to get perfect fit, you cant do too much.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What size do you wear? I have a pair of Celsius Climate boots with the BOA speed lacing that I bought in December. They're too small. 10.5s only ridden once.

Also, it takes some time to break your boots in, like a lot of time. It took 3 years of riding for me to settle into my old pair. I just recently bought a pair of Solomon F24s, last years model, for $200 from REI. Check out REI.com's clearance, you might find something you like. Like Nivek said, you may just need to go try a bunch on.
neednsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
AK-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
What size do you wear? I have a pair of Celsius Climate boots with the BOA speed lacing that I bought in December. They're too small. 10.5s only ridden once.

Also, it takes some time to break your boots in, like a lot of time. It took 3 years of riding for me to settle into my old pair. I just recently bought a pair of Solomon F24s, last years model, for $200 from REI. Check out REI.com's clearance, you might find something you like. Like Nivek said, you may just need to go try a bunch on.
My current boots are size 12. Too much heel lift so am thinking I will go with a 11.5.

Will go back and check with our retailers but the selection is fairly lame.

are there any brands I should keep away from (poor quality, etc?) would hate to buy a "good fitting" pair only to have them fall apart!

Thanks for the responses.