Need helping on buying a board and setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need helping on buying a board and setup

So after renting boards for a while, I finally decided to get a board since I'm getting serious about boarding.

My question to you folks is, what type of board would you recommend to a beginner/intermediate.

I'm 6"3, 185 pounds, and a size 10.5. I figure a 162-163 board would work for me (I'm guessing I won't need a Wide?).

Looking for boards that won't break the bank but at the same time won't fall apart after 1 season.

Would it be better to a get a board/binding/boots combination or purchase each separately?

Also what's a good place/site to get the best deals?

Sorry for the confusion and the amount of questions.

Thanks in advance!
WorstPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Do you have a budget?

Snowboards.net has pre-made packages or you can build a custom one. You get 10% of boots and bindings if you get them with a board through the package builder.

Snowboard Packages

You will also get Skullcandy earbuds or headphones (depending on price of board) and a Burton gift pack with the order.

Sizing will vary depending on the specific board. Your general range for your stats will fall in the 157-163 range.

The Ride Crush in a 158 is a good option for you. It is a centered twin with a mid-flex. It has Ride's LowRize rocker profile which is real mellow rocker profile giving you forgiveness without feeling too loose.

The K2 Raygun in a 161 is my top choice for you. Best bang for the buck in this price range and category. K2's all-terrain rocker has flat camber between the feet and rocker in the tips. The nose has a medium rise rocker while the tail has a mellow lowrize. This shape is great for powder situations.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Do you have a budget?

Snowboards.net has pre-made packages or you can build a custom one. You get 10% of boots and bindings if you get them with a board through the package builder.

Snowboard Packages

You will also get Skullcandy earbuds or headphones (depending on price of board) and a Burton gift pack with the order.

Sizing will vary depending on the specific board. Your general range for your stats will fall in the 157-163 range.

The Ride Crush in a 158 is a good option for you. It is a centered twin with a mid-flex. It has Ride's LowRize rocker profile which is real mellow rocker profile giving you forgiveness without feeling too loose.

The K2 Raygun in a 161 is my top choice for you. Best bang for the buck in this price range and category. K2's all-terrain rocker has flat camber between the feet and rocker in the tips. The nose has a medium rise rocker while the tail has a mellow lowrize. This shape is great for powder situations.
Thanks for the reply. So for my stats should I go more towards the 157 side or towards the 163 side? Won't a 158 be too small?

As I'm still learning I'm not riding parks or anything like that. Just going down the mountain is what I'm doing now.

I live in the East coast so the snow here tends to be more on the icy side.

Thanks for the inputs so far.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm the same height and weight as you and I ride a 165 right now for an all mountain board, but my next board will be in the 157-159 area. A 158 will be fine for you and with a 10.5 boot you won't need a wide board.
JRZBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What I was trying to get at is that there is no absolute board size for your weight. Each board supports a different weight range. You should stick with a board size where your weight falls somewhere in the center of the recommended range. The boards I recommended and their size fits you.

If you find other boards that you like, go to the brand's website and look up that board's spec sheet. It will give you a weight range.

Basically put... a 158 Ride Machete is small for you. A 157 K2 Turbo Dream is a great size for you.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are probably 50 boards that might be appropriate for you. The 2 critical factors are your budget and the type of riding you want to do. That will narrow the scope and then you just look for the right size (important) and the best value for the money. Graphics are always personal, but please don't buy a board solely based on them or i'll have to hunt you down.

As these guys have mentioned, there will be a size range based on your weight. Generally you go to the low end for freestyle riding and can go to the higher end for freeriding. All-mountain boards cover the all the gray area in between.

You can find out about just about any board in this forum or use a site like The Good Ride which has some good reviews.

An advanced rider might benefit a little from separate purchase of components, but if you can avail yourself of a package deal at a local shop or at a site like Leo referenced, you will do just fine. Good luck!
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
What I was trying to get at is that there is no absolute board size for your weight. Each board supports a different weight range. You should stick with a board size where your weight falls somewhere in the center of the recommended range. The boards I recommended and their size fits you.

If you find other boards that you like, go to the brand's website and look up that board's spec sheet. It will give you a weight range.

Basically put... a 158 Ride Machete is small for you. A 157 K2 Turbo Dream is a great size for you.
Thanks for the reply.

Hmm both seem good.

Any opinions on the bindings/boots from the packages listed on that site?

I'm assuming I'll need a Large binding.

Also for the K2 Raygun I don't see how stiff the board is. I guess for a beginner/intermediate like me a board that's more flexible would be a better choice?

Sorry for the all questions. Appreciate the help you've given me thus far.

Last edited by WorstPlayer; 01-25-2011 at 12:36 PM.