The age old question.....rocker, camber, tbt? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The age old question.....rocker, camber, tbt?

Which type is better and why? I am currently looking for a new board, but dont have time to test out every board. My current board is a camber board but tbt sounds pretty interesting and I dont know if I am sold on the rocker hype. Maybe a hybrid?

Let me know what you guys think.
keepridingi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Camber: Great edge hold, good pop, stability. Good for big kickers, carving, going fast.

Rocker: Flexible, very easy pressing and jibbing, less edge-catching. Easier to ride.

Hybrid: Inbetween these two

TBT: Might be best of two worlds, haven't tried it myself. I can say: Some people love it, some people hate it. Most say you have to try it for a couple of days before you can judge. Its way more forgiving, won't catch edges but is still stable on high speed, and has good pop.

I ride a flexible camber board for rails, jibs and jumps, it's a real park board. Most park boards at the moment are rocker, I've tried that myself too and I feel it gives less control, way less pop but it butters and jibs easy as hell...

You should make up your mind yourself, but if you also want to ride a bit fast on slopes etc. I wouldn't go for a rocker board to be honest. Maybe you can try some boards anywhere? That would be the best...
Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Easy solution...

Never Summer R/C tech. You literally get the benefits of camber and reverse camber.

I'm anti TBT. Sold my Bataleon after a handful of days on it. I didn't like the edgehold
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am a fan of Neversummer's rocker camber design too. Pretty much gives me the best of both worlds.

I have very little experience with TBT. Seems to be more of a jib monkey's design though. There are fans of it, so I think there is something there.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepridingi5 View Post
Which type is better and why? I am currently looking for a new board, but dont have time to test out every board. My current board is a camber board but tbt sounds pretty interesting and I dont know if I am sold on the rocker hype. Maybe a hybrid?
I went from a regular camber board to Ride's hybrid DH2.4 this year. I've explained why in other posts, but the gist of it was that because I couldn't demo boards, I wanted to be confident that the step away from what I was used to wouldn't be too big. The easiest transition from regular camber is to a hybrid with camber between the bindings and rocker at the tips (rides almost exactly like regular camber, but with extra benefits). Next would be a hybrid with rocker between the bindings and camber under each foot. The hardest transition I think would be to full rocker. TBT is a one-company outlier, so it's hard to categorize. I would not buy something like TBT without demoing it first.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
The hardest transition I think would be to full rocker.
i strongly disagree. full rocker is most forgiving shape out there. it feels different to camber - sure. but it would not be hard to make the transition.

because of its looseness it might not be able to do some things as well as a camber board but on the other hand it does some other things better and is generally a more relaxing experience riding it. good for chilling on the mountain, taking it easy, jibbing, buttering, powder, etc.

OP, you need to try these shapes out for yourself. you must have time to test out three boards!!! grab one or two from your friends for a day or something... it's our advice but your money that you'll be spending. and you'll be the one stuck with it if it doesn't work out.

JoeR - you must be a Harvard man working in finance? Yes? No?

Last edited by thetraveler; 01-25-2011 at 05:16 PM.
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetraveler View Post
i strongly disagree. full rocker is most forgiving shape out there. it feels different to camber - sure. but it would not be hard to make the transition.
Whether it's hard in some absolute sense isn't the issue I raised. This is a relative question -- of the alternatives to regular camber, which is the greatest change, and which is the least? Nothing can be easier to get used to for a camber rider than a camrock-style hybrid, because it feels almost exactly like regular camber. Everything else is progressively further removed, even if, in more general terms, it still presents a completely manageable challenge.

Quote:
JoeR - you must be a Harvard man working in finance? Yes? No?
Yes to the first part, no to the second, but why do you ask?
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Pretty interested on that fight too.. I guess most of the brands have good rocker/camber profile, with the rocker between feets and camber from outside the binds (or this is just NS?). What attracts me more are the TBT and BS Tech, that sounds to be more forgiving with a good grip when you need, specially TBT cause it's still a camber board. But I have no personal experience on that, just talking about what I read (a lot!!!).

The TBT divides opinions, if you have the opportunite, just try it! From what I heard, most of people love it, but some don't even like it..

Milo303: Can you tell us more about your bad experience with TBT? Which one you rode? Felt any benefit or just hated?

cheers!
pedrodla is offline   Reply With Quote