Short with a big boot = Bad? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
RawStevenMoney

Default Short with a big boot = Bad?

Sup fellas,
I am 5'9" 160-180 lbs (weight fluctuates a lot. And I wear a size 13 boot.

The first time I boarded, I got a rental board and my boots weighed SOO much because I have a 13 foot. 12 just doesn't fit for me with boots. So after that, I did some boot shopping and out of all of the boots I liked, I liked the Burton Moto the best. I almost bought it and then I came across an older boot- Burton SMU. It was a bit fat, so it was hard to strap into the bindings, but I liked it WAY better than rental stuff and I snagged em for $60 because they only had a 13 left. But I still feel like my foot comes way too far off of the board. I asked a guy at the pro shop and he said "Well, sorry to say that having a big foot as a shorter guy is like the worse thing in snowboarding."
My questions are these....
How far should a boot come off of the board?
Are the SMU's a crappy boot?
I know I should ride a wide board, but what size is good for me?
I was thinking a Burton Cruzer Burton Cruzer Snowboard - Wide - Free Shipping! from Dogfunk.com

But is 154 too short for me? If so, I was thinking a Burton King
Burton King Snowboard - Free Shipping! from Dogfunk.com

I am not a very advanced snowboarder, but I really want to get into it and don't mind spending some money. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
ecave84

what kind of riding do you want to do?

Im by no means an expert, but I just bought a rome flag and i would recommend rome just on the fact that i love my board so much. I think the Rome manual might not be a bad choice for you. I also looked at the GNU 11-up and that didnt look like a bad choice in that price range. I really dont know much about burton boards. I do own Burton ruler boots and they were the only boot i could find that fit my odd shaped feet and ive had no problems with them. I have size 12s. Boots are a much more individuall thing since everyones feet are different. If they fit good and are comfortable for you then they are a good boot for you.

Rome Manual Snowboard from REI.com
EASTERN BOARDER : STORE : SNOWBOARD : BOARDS : GNU : 11-UP

you probably cant go wrong with a burton board. I have owned 2 wide k2s quite a few years ago and i was happy with those as well.

what do you mean by boots come off the board? Toe and heal overhang?

Last edited by ecave84; 02-05-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
RawStevenMoney

My toe comes off of the fron of the board. Ya. Is that not good?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
ecave84

even with a wide board i have overhang. it doesnt effect my riding though. If your catching your toes than its not ok. But if you buy a wide board you should be ok. If not you could pick up some risers which yould help as well.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Weight determines length of board. So at your range, you can ride anything from 155-165. I'd stay around 160cm-ish, cause once you get used to riding it even at 180lbs, you're still gonna be able to control it at 160lbs.
I'm 180ish and ride a 159.
If you're riding park, you want shorter.

Now what really should concern you is board width. Do you know what angles you ride? if it's rental, probably around 15/0 or so. I'd say at LEAST a 26mm wide board. If you have wider angles, you MIGHT be able to get away with high 25's, though with a 13 boot, I wouldnt try.
Burton King,
Neversummer Legacy,
Rome has a wide one,
Arbor Roundhouse (though you should be experienced for this board, otherwise it will ride you )
There's a lot of wide boards out there. Just look. And you won't have a problem finding a wide board in around the 160 length.
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
RawStevenMoney

Wow, thanks romesaz. That was really informative. I was under the impression that my board size had to do with my height, not my weight. Thanks a lot everybody!