Where did board sizing come from? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where did board sizing come from?

I know everyone "knows"what size board they need. I see sizing charts everywhere and they tell me I should ride a 168. Understood. Where did this info origially come from? Is there some kind of formula? I am sure these charts didnt fall from the sky, but I'm just trying to understand them.
Prime320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime320 View Post
I know everyone "knows"what size board they need. I see sizing charts everywhere and they tell me I should ride a 168. Understood. Where did this info origially come from? Is there some kind of formula? I am sure these charts didnt fall from the sky, but I'm just trying to understand them.

'It's based on your weight ( and riding style)

snowboard size chart, snowboard buyers guide, snowboard selection, snowboard sizing chart, snowboard length guide, snowboard length
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dear Paul Bunyan, you must be a big boy if it says you should ride a 168...anywho, they come from the manufacturer (via the engineer/designer). It is essentially the amount of force (weight) of the rider when compared to the stiffness and function (ideally what the board was designed for) of the board. This is why park rider size down, powder riders size up, and ranges are fairly large. Every board is different in the size range as well; a stiffer 156 board could ride just as strong on edge as a softer 159 board even though it has more effective edge.

Does that help?
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
Dear Paul Bunyan, you must be a big boy if it says you should ride a 168...anywho, they come from the manufacturer (via the engineer/designer). It is essentially the amount of force (weight) of the rider when compared to the stiffness and function (ideally what the board was designed for) of the board. This is why park rider size down, powder riders size up, and ranges are fairly large. Every board is different in the size range as well; a stiffer 156 board could ride just as strong on edge as a softer 159 board even though it has more effective edge.

Does that help?
yeah I am 6'2" and sitting at 260-270 these days. I guess that makes sense. I see so many charts and they say "this is it" and bang, thats the rules. Was just curious on what made those rules. How to determine how much weight what kind of effective edge can support etc.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime320 View Post
yeah I am 6'2" and sitting at 260-270 these days. I guess that makes sense. I see so many charts and they say "this is it" and bang, thats the rules. Was just curious on what made those rules. How to determine how much weight what kind of effective edge can support etc.

Thanks for the help
No worries. You will see on most boards that the largest 2 or 3 sizes (for a particular model) will have 200+lbs or 220+lbs for the weight range...so basically ride something as stiff or as soft as you want and get as close to the range as possible. I would say 168 (even at your size) might be a little bit much of a board to ride for your everyday cruiser, but you will probably want to be between that and 162...just a thought.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
No worries. You will see on most boards that the largest 2 or 3 sizes (for a particular model) will have 200+lbs or 220+lbs for the weight range...so basically ride something as stiff or as soft as you want and get as close to the range as possible. I would say 168 (even at your size) might be a little bit much of a board to ride for your everyday cruiser, but you will probably want to be between that and 162...just a thought.

Right now I am on a 163 Atomic hatchet. Nice board. Good for freestyle but I want something to bomb on now and I am trying to do a lot of research instead of just jumping at something like I always do. I want something that can handle powder too since my board nose dives like thats it's job. I like a lot of back woods type set ups. I was thinking about a 167 Ride Highlife. Being a big dude chop tends to bother me more than it does my friends. I think the small rocker shape of the highlife will help me a lot with what I am looking for, but I am trying to understand size more than accept size.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a 168Wide Highlife and I am 6ft 5in, 235lb. For your weight I would not go smaller otherwise you will sink in off piste powder.

http://www.myfastec.com/videos/fastec-setup/
http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Particularly given that your stated use for the new board will be to get away from freestyle and be bombing and hitting pow, you should not shy away from going a little bigger than your Hatchet.
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
I have a 168Wide Highlife and I am 6ft 5in, 235lb. For your weight I would not go smaller otherwise you will sink in off piste powder.

How is the highlife treating you? I will probably wait until the end of the season sales to find one so I have some time to better educate my decision.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, if you are looking for bombing and powder, getting into the high 160s is where you want to be. The Highlife is an excellent choice...that board rips!