Where did board sizing come from? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Prime320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where did board sizing come from?

I know everyone "knows"what size board they need. I see sizing charts everywhere and they tell me I should ride a 168. Understood. Where did this info origially come from? Is there some kind of formula? I am sure these charts didnt fall from the sky, but I'm just trying to understand them.
Prime320 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,869
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime320 View Post
I know everyone "knows"what size board they need. I see sizing charts everywhere and they tell me I should ride a 168. Understood. Where did this info origially come from? Is there some kind of formula? I am sure these charts didnt fall from the sky, but I'm just trying to understand them.

'It's based on your weight ( and riding style)

snowboard size chart, snowboard buyers guide, snowboard selection, snowboard sizing chart, snowboard length guide, snowboard length

2015/16 -17- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06 - 181K
KIRKRIDER is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
jgsqueak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dear Paul Bunyan, you must be a big boy if it says you should ride a 168...anywho, they come from the manufacturer (via the engineer/designer). It is essentially the amount of force (weight) of the rider when compared to the stiffness and function (ideally what the board was designed for) of the board. This is why park rider size down, powder riders size up, and ranges are fairly large. Every board is different in the size range as well; a stiffer 156 board could ride just as strong on edge as a softer 159 board even though it has more effective edge.

Does that help?
jgsqueak is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Prime320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
Dear Paul Bunyan, you must be a big boy if it says you should ride a 168...anywho, they come from the manufacturer (via the engineer/designer). It is essentially the amount of force (weight) of the rider when compared to the stiffness and function (ideally what the board was designed for) of the board. This is why park rider size down, powder riders size up, and ranges are fairly large. Every board is different in the size range as well; a stiffer 156 board could ride just as strong on edge as a softer 159 board even though it has more effective edge.

Does that help?
yeah I am 6'2" and sitting at 260-270 these days. I guess that makes sense. I see so many charts and they say "this is it" and bang, thats the rules. Was just curious on what made those rules. How to determine how much weight what kind of effective edge can support etc.

Thanks for the help
Prime320 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
jgsqueak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime320 View Post
yeah I am 6'2" and sitting at 260-270 these days. I guess that makes sense. I see so many charts and they say "this is it" and bang, thats the rules. Was just curious on what made those rules. How to determine how much weight what kind of effective edge can support etc.

Thanks for the help
No worries. You will see on most boards that the largest 2 or 3 sizes (for a particular model) will have 200+lbs or 220+lbs for the weight range...so basically ride something as stiff or as soft as you want and get as close to the range as possible. I would say 168 (even at your size) might be a little bit much of a board to ride for your everyday cruiser, but you will probably want to be between that and 162...just a thought.
jgsqueak is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Prime320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
No worries. You will see on most boards that the largest 2 or 3 sizes (for a particular model) will have 200+lbs or 220+lbs for the weight range...so basically ride something as stiff or as soft as you want and get as close to the range as possible. I would say 168 (even at your size) might be a little bit much of a board to ride for your everyday cruiser, but you will probably want to be between that and 162...just a thought.

Right now I am on a 163 Atomic hatchet. Nice board. Good for freestyle but I want something to bomb on now and I am trying to do a lot of research instead of just jumping at something like I always do. I want something that can handle powder too since my board nose dives like thats it's job. I like a lot of back woods type set ups. I was thinking about a 167 Ride Highlife. Being a big dude chop tends to bother me more than it does my friends. I think the small rocker shape of the highlife will help me a lot with what I am looking for, but I am trying to understand size more than accept size.
Prime320 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Cavman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 168Wide Highlife and I am 6ft 5in, 235lb. For your weight I would not go smaller otherwise you will sink in off piste powder.

Ride Highlife 168 2011 | K2 CTX 2010
Hammer Broadline 163W 2008 | SP Fastec Trooper 2010
Hammer PCM C+ 161 2011 | SP Fastec Brotherhood 2011


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cavman is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
GorgeDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hood River, OR
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Particularly given that your stated use for the new board will be to get away from freestyle and be bombing and hitting pow, you should not shy away from going a little bigger than your Hatchet.
GorgeDad is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Prime320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
I have a 168Wide Highlife and I am 6ft 5in, 235lb. For your weight I would not go smaller otherwise you will sink in off piste powder.

How is the highlife treating you? I will probably wait until the end of the season sales to find one so I have some time to better educate my decision.
Prime320 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 AM
Senior Member
 
jgsqueak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, if you are looking for bombing and powder, getting into the high 160s is where you want to be. The Highlife is an excellent choice...that board rips!
jgsqueak is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome