Best board company - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOisDAN View Post
I totally agree with that list. Mervin Mfg has been innovating since day one, seems like every few years a new technology that actually helps and isint just hype comes out. I like the fact they are built for riders by riders.
And Never Summer is a great company as well, it's weird how that list and a lot of people say it's a company no one has heard of...I knew about them as soon as I got into boarding over 15 years ago, and I have seen a lot of their boards being used by people who rip. Again a company that is built by riders and don't make their boards in China.
As much as I hate to admit it Burtons high end stuff is pretty good. But I don't like much else about them.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshy View Post
I like the fact they are built for riders by riders.
Because other people's boards are built by gerbils for turkeys, right?
PredaClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaClone View Post
Because other people's boards are built by gerbils for turkeys, right?
Built by people who don't snowboard or care about snowboarding for people who have money. Built in the USA or built in China. If you think there is no difference you are a fool.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

the USA isn't god when it comes to manufacturing, great products are made all over the world
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Built by people who don't snowboard or care about snowboarding
This factor conceivably could make a difference, but it would have to be demonstrated empirically, through quality studies. I wouldn't take it on faith.

Quote:
Built in the USA or built in China.
This factor can make a difference from a macroeconomic perspective, but not necessarily to the board itself. However, if you choose to give it weight, that's your privilege.

Quote:
for people who have money.
This is pure snobbery -- a bogus distinction between "riders" and "people who have money." All good boards cost a pretty penny these days. In fact, boards manufactured domestically typically cost somewhat more than those made overseas.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes View Post
the USA isn't god when it comes to manufacturing, great products are made all over the world
Ok, country of origin...I'm not trying to say USA is the best, but they happen to be a country that makes the best snowboards IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
This factor conceivably could make a difference, but it would have to be demonstrated empirically, through quality studies. I wouldn't take it on faith.
If you don't snowboard how would you know what can be improved upon in the design of a snowboard?

Quote:
This factor can make a difference from a macroeconomic perspective, but not necessarily to the board itself. However, if you choose to give it weight, that's your privilege.
Are you insane? China is known for using the cheapest and most unsafe compounds around.
Name me one other company that puts as much research and development with into their materials while having a concern for environmentally safe products as libtech. Genetically altered trees, top sheets made from beans, basalt made from volcanic rock instead of fiberglass...I can keep going on, go look at libtechs website if you care to learn more. But please don't try and tell me anything made in China can compare to something like that.

Quote:
This is pure snobbery -- a bogus distinction between "riders" and "people who have money." All good boards cost a pretty penny these days. In fact, boards manufactured domestically typically cost somewhat more than those made overseas.
A person who thinks of snowboarding as more than a hobby will most likely not buy the cheapest board one can find at a sports chain store, but will buy at a boardshop that has a higher end product.
Where as someone who is in it for a little fun in the winter won't care about the latest and greatest technology, and will most likely buy from a big chain with cheap prices from staff who know next to nothing about the sport.

Boards manufactured domestically, particularly one made by hand obviously will cost more. Paying a worker a decent wage with benefits will of course make the price of a board higher as opposed to paying next to nothing for manufacturing and materials overseas.
Personally I would rather support a snowboard company who hires people who like to snowboard and gives them a good wage and good working conditions.
You think you will get the same quality of board from a factory in China built by people earning next to nothing with shit working conditions even if they had the exact same materials as the domestic company?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Ok, country of origin...I'm not trying to say USA is the best, but they happen to be a country that makes the best snowboards IMO

If you don't snowboard how would you know what can be improved upon in the design of a snowboard?

Are you insane? China is known for using the cheapest and most unsafe compounds around.
Name me one other company that puts as much research and development with into their materials while having a concern for environmentally safe products as libtech. Genetically altered trees, top sheets made from beans, basalt made from volcanic rock instead of fiberglass...I can keep going on, go look at libtechs website if you care to learn more. But please don't try and tell me anything made in China can compare to something like that.

A person who thinks of snowboarding as more than a hobby will most likely not buy the cheapest board one can find at a sports chain store, but will buy at a boardshop that has a higher end product.
Where as someone who is in it for a little fun in the winter won't care about the latest and greatest technology, and will most likely buy from a big chain with cheap prices from staff who know next to nothing about the sport.

Boards manufactured domestically, particularly one made by hand obviously will cost more. Paying a worker a decent wage with benefits will of course make the price of a board higher as opposed to paying next to nothing for manufacturing and materials overseas.
Personally I would rather support a snowboard company who hires people who like to snowboard and gives them a good wage and good working conditions.
You think you will get the same quality of board from a factory in China built by people earning next to nothing with shit working conditions even if they had the exact same materials as the domestic company?
This is excellent.

and mervin FTW.. or anything USA frankly (NS, Smokin, Jones...)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For my money:

1. Never Summer
2. Smokin'
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
This is excellent.

and mervin FTW.. or anything USA frankly (NS, Smokin, Jones...)
LOL. Do you even know where Jones do their manufacturing?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Boards are not designed by factory workers. All big board companies have professional design staffs and test rider teams, regardless of where the boards are actually manufactured.

Quote:
Are you insane?
Nice rabid argument. Good start.

Quote:
China is known for using the cheapest and most unsafe compounds around.
Snowboards are not made by "China" -- they are made in Chinese factories according to specs prepared by the snowboard companies' design and production managers.

You probably have some Chinese-made snowboarding equipment in your home, such as bindings, boots, outerware, etc. Aren't you worried about all the "unsafe compounds" to which you may be exposed?

By the way, why is the hate directed exclusively at China? What about all the board manufacturing that is outsourced to Europe?

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with being a LibTech fan, but there's no need to swallow the hype whole. Every top board company has its own slate of tech innovations and interesting design tweaks. Believing that one company is miles ahead of all the others means moving from being a fan to a fanboy.

Quote:
Now you're contradicting yourself. First you said the problem was that the Chinese-made boards were for "people with money" rather than real riders. Now you're saying that the Chinese-made boards are sold cheaply to casual buyers, and it's the real riders who buy the more expensive gear in fancy shops. So I guess the legit riders must be the "people with money"?

There's nothing wrong with preferring to support domestic manufacturing, but there's no need to conjure up unwarranted generalizations to justify yourself. According to you, it's inevitable that K2 & Ride boards will be of terrible quality, because of the curse of Chinese manufacturing. But since we can all see and test those boards for ourselves, the argument falls apart.

Last edited by JoeR; 02-08-2011 at 04:42 PM.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote