another newbie setup recommendation needed - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
micah323

Default another newbie setup recommendation needed

Been searching the forums looking for info. So far this site has been very helpful, but I realized I probably needed to make a post to make sure I am headed in the right direction.

5'6
140-145lbs
beginner- dont have a style or type I like to ride, just trying to learn and have fun

Just started snowboarding and really like it. I recieved a Lamar board, binding, and boot setup years ago that I am using currently. The board is a 157cm, which I think it too big, and judging by others boards, is too big. The bindings are garbage and the boots are killing my feet.

It is time to upgrade.

I am one of those people that would rather pay a little more and do it right the first time, so I dont have to rebuy when I get a little better.

From all of the good reviews I am leaning towards the Rome 390 binding. Dont think I need that targas so I can save some money.

The board is really confusing me. I put my size and weight into one of those board calculators and it shows me being between a 149 and a 153, which seems about right from what I have read on this forum.

Now it gets complicated. What board to choose. The ones I have been looking at are the Ride boards...dont know which model suits me, was thinking about the agent, found a good deal on it $370ish, the Burton custom, a Never Summer board, or any other board you think will be good. For the board alone I would like to keep it between $300-500.

Anyone have any help. Really looking to purchase soon, but dont want to make a bad choice and regret it. If the agent would work good for me I would probably go with that, but I have also found some Never Summer boards for the same price. Both are highly recommended, just need someone to point me to certain models.

Sorry if this is so long, just wanted to be complete with everything,,,, I read the noob first post guidelines and just wanted to make sure I gave all the relevant info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eric @ WA

First off congrats on being a new rider. Welcome to the a favorite sport of everyone on here!

Below are my .02 and others here will be happy to throw in their advice for you as well.

Since you don't know your type of riding yet and just learning, I would stay with an all mountain/freeride type board so that you can get the basics down. I would recommend staying away from extremely stiff boards as they will not be forgiving for a first timer. As you hone your skills and you like all mountain riding...then a stiffer board will be great. I would also not recommend a park specific board for a first timer.

The 390s are good bindings. Would you need them as a first timer? Not really but if you can get a good price on them then go for it. Targas are stiffer and not as forgiving in terms of transferring power to the edges.

I haven't ridden an Agent so I can't comment base don experience with that board. The Burton Custom is more of an advanced board for a first time snowboarder. If you like Burton they have other boards more suited to beginners. NeverSummer is also an excellent company and I always speak highly of them as is Rome. You can tell who the quality names are and you can't go wrong in choosing that company. Where newbies (for lack of a better word) go wrong is choosing the wrong type board for their level of experience. I've seen brand new boarders choose a pipe board when trying to learn free-ride and vice versa. A big key to the success of getting a good board is to choose the one that is intended for both your skill level and type of riding. Beginners should never fall into the hype of what the pro riders are riding.

Others who are more in the beginning stages of riding may chime in on their experience with their particular board.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I looked at the Agent - prob a good board

Also looked at the Arbor Formula - which is a $300 beginner/entry level board that you can probably find on sale right now for closer to $240...

I ended up buying the Arbor Alt - which is a $500 board but you can definitely find it on sale for cheaper...

Never Summer is supposed to make great boards, although I haven't been on one...

I've heard that for the money you can probably do better than Burton - a few shops have told me that you end up paying a premium for the Burton name where that is not as true with other brands. Dont know how much truth there is to that, but I've heard it on more than one occasion. Then again, so many people own Burton boards because Burton obviously knows what they are doing...

Most importantly, you want to get out and demo a board before buying it if possible. That's the best way to know if the board is the right one for you. Anything else is really a shot in the dark...

Also, each board should have its own sizing recommendation. Some boards said I should be anywhere from a 155-161 and others said more of a 153-158 (I weigh about 150lbs)...whatever you do, just check that specific boards specs.
dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Some great advice given to you so far. I'll echo some of it, and throw in some other stuff.

Eric @ WA is dead-on when he said to go for an all-mountain type deck. These are not as stiff as pure freeride boards, and not as flexie as pure freestyle boards. They are forgiving enough for new riders, but stiff enough to allow you to progress a bit. Also, while all-mountain boards will not be and ace anywhere, they are a jack of all trades. Hence, you'll be able to explore the moutain and figure out which type of riding you like best.

As for deck size...each company will have weigth ranges for their given boards. Look at the manufactures web sites for the specific details. However, given your weight, I imagine you'd be looking at a 150 - 155 sized board.

For specific decks, I always direct people toward Never Summer, Rome, and Burton. I am opposed to Ride for political reasons, but they do make quality products. That said, take a look at the below decks.

Burton: Elite, Clash, Royal
Never Summer: SL
Rome: Manual, Crail, Solution, Agent

Also, remember Never Summer has a THREE-YEAR warranty on their boards...NO ONE else in the industry will do that.

Hope this helps!

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
micah323

thanks guys for all the help, I really appreciate it. Really looking forward to making a new purchase, unfortunately this weekend I will be stuck with what I have now..dreading how much my feet are going to hurt.

Sedition- the Rome agent and the NS SL that you recommended looking into are two of the main boards I am interested in. I have found them both on sale at roughly the same price.

Is it one of those things where you just choose one and you cant go wrong or see what one you can find the best deal on? Will using Rome bindings have any relevance on my choice of board brands?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i would really recommend the santa cruz fusion.it has a deeper heelside sidecut since human anatomy makes it harder to make solid and deep heelside turns. my friend has been riding santa cruz for a very long time and thinks very high of their quality. he has had only one board have a problem and santa cruz promptly replaced it. if you aren't into santa cruz. the rome agent and graft are good choices. the k2 darkstar or believer. salomon draft or prospect. neversummer sl or evo. burton custom or warhol twin or se7en. ride dh or society.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah323 View Post
Will using Rome bindings have any relevance on my choice of board brands?
Board, no. Boots, maybe. You want to make sure you have bindings that fit well with the boots you've got...

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
thebutress

I just grabbed a cold smoke myself. I was lucky to find the 06/07 model for a good price. you can get good deals on the 07/08 model, but i think that's cuz its ugly. :|
Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
micah323

sedation- you like others have said I should look into an all mountain board. You listed the Rome agent. At the ski pro website it has it listed in the 'Rome all freestyle' section instead of the rome 'all mountain' section. Are they incorrect? It shows the anthem as being an all mountain.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Eric @ WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah323 View Post
sedation- you like others have said I should look into an all mountain board. You listed the Rome agent. At the ski pro website it has it listed in the 'Rome all freestyle' section instead of the rome 'all mountain' section. Are they incorrect? It shows the anthem as being an all mountain.
The ROME Anthem is an awesome board and personally one of my favorites. It can do anything you throw at it from groomers to parks. However...I think it's too stiff for a first time rider. Sure you can learn on it, but the learning curve will be longer. If you can already link your turns and already feel somewhat comfortable then the Anthem will serve you better. The agent will be a softer board so it will be more forgiving. Classification of boards these days seem to overlap. If you go to Rome's site, you can see the ratings of each board in terms of all mountain, pipe, park etc.

As was mentioned the NS SL is also a good board that is an all mountain freestyle board. It's a softer board (compared to the Premier) and should serve you well. I have the Anthem, SL, and Premier and love all those boards for their intended purposes.