160cm or 163cm? Please help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 160cm or 163cm? Please help!

I just recently started snowboarding and have gone a few times and decided I wanted to get my own board now. I just bought a 2011 Flow Merc 160cm wide. Im kinda worried that I bought it a bit too small though.

Im 6'2 and weight somewhere between 195-200 pounds with a boot size of 11. I did a lot of research and the snowboard calculator suggested around a 164, but as I looked further I read that a smaller board is best to learn on and will be easier to handle so thats why I went 160cm.

Im not very experienced so I couldnt say what I typically ride on. So from that alone you can probably tell Im a rookie. Im just looking to get better, get my carving down, and practice switch on the easy slopes. Did I get the right size or should I return it for the 163cm or does the 3cm really even make a difference?

Thanks for any help!
kdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

You'll be fine. Go ride it and have fun.
conwayeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think you should stick with the 160. It's wide too, so that will make it seem a bit larger. I thought the same way this past offseason when I bought my first board. I'm 6-1 180lbs. I labored over the decision to pick up a 156 or 158 burton custom v-rocker, I opted for the 156 thinking that the smaller board would make progression easier and I think I made the right choice. However, having gone six or so times this season I don't really think the 2cm would have mattered much. I did end up picking up a second board rather quickly, a 2011 Ride DH in 159, it's cambered and I think the size is perfect. Did you try searching this site for the Flow Merc to see what members are saying about sizing?
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlyr View Post
I think you should stick with the 160. It's wide too, so that will make it seem a bit larger. I thought the same way this past offseason when I bought my first board. I'm 6-1 180lbs. I labored over the decision to pick up a 156 or 158 burton custom v-rocker, I opted for the 156 thinking that the smaller board would make progression easier and I think I made the right choice. However, having gone six or so times this season I don't really think the 2cm would have mattered much. I did end up picking up a second board rather quickly, a 2011 Ride DH in 159, it's cambered and I think the size is perfect. Did you try searching this site for the Flow Merc to see what members are saying about sizing?
No, I just found this site today after I placing my order yesterday. I went 163cm originally, but I dont plan on going too fast just yet, I really just want to work on the basics so I can be well rounded so I figured id go 160cm. The only reason why I went with the Flow Merc is cause I felt like it was a great deal and a solid beginner/intermediate board. Thanks for the replies, anymore would be appreciated. Here is the eBay auction I won... 2011 FLOW MERC Snowboard+Bindings+Boots NEW Burton - eBay (item 140505250591 end time Jan-27-11 23:06:02 PST)
Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would have said "buy the 163" but really, we're talking about a little over an inch difference in length. I doubt you'd notice the difference.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'd say get the 163. Learning on a smaller board makes it easier to learn bad habits. 3cm is not a huge difference though. If you're looking to get into freeride you'll probably end up on a 166 anyway.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, to be honest it's not going to make a huge difference. I have snowboarder for 5 years and currently work at a snow board shop. I am 6,4 210 and I ride a 164 wide, and last year i rode a 160. When you buy a board you want to make sure that you even out to aspects, weight and height. Every board will have a weight rating and a height rating. Usually the guideline for height is between the nose in chine but can sometimes vary dude to what kind of riding you are doing. Im assuming the board you have is rated for someone who weighs between 174-200 pounds. If you were to choose a bigger board it will be a little bit stiffer and will be a better board for you once you start to progress in snowboard. The small one will be more flexible and more forgiving and may be a little help when you're learning. I would personally choose the larger board because, in the long run it will be better for you. I hope i could be some help.
EyeZakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I should have went 163, but I dont think I want to pay to ship it back again unless its an absolute must. Hopefully I will be fine with this board.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

You'll do just fine on a 160...don't second guess yourself.
skipmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

The 160W is good for you, just get out there and have fun on it.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote