Whats Up Guys - Need Help w/ Board Selection ... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
mbehr22

Default Whats Up Guys - Need Help w/ Board Selection ...

Great forum youve got here ...

Im a noobie to the site and Im hoping yall can help me out.

Im 6-0 180 sz 9.5 looking to buy a board - im sick of renting every time i go snowboarding.

I live in the dirty south, so i dont get to go snowboarding as often as i would like, but im ready to go a head and purchase some gear...

So far I have been told I need ~160 cm board.

I would like flow bindings due to ease of use ...

my price range is low to moderate and my level is beginner/novice. I grew up on the coast (wakeboarding my whole life) so snowboarding came to me so much easier than skiing

anyway, any tips/help/brands are very appreciated.

So far, i have been shopping on ebay a a few websites for boards ...

here is a board someone recommended to me ... its a 163 silence shatter. im not familiar with the brand...

i havent looked into boots yet - any help with that appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
mbehr22

btw - i have no desire to hit the park just yet. i just like getting out there and cutting it up downthe slopes. im not advanced enough for the tricks and jumps - leaving that for the experts

also, i hope to make more trips out west now that i am getting my own gear, but most of the time i am going on the east coast in primarily icy or groomed conditions ... just FYI
Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
jibbah686

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbehr22 View Post
Great forum youve got here ...

Im a noobie to the site and Im hoping yall can help me out.

Im 6-0 180 sz 9.5 looking to buy a board - im sick of renting every time i go snowboarding.

I live in the dirty south, so i dont get to go snowboarding as often as i would like, but im ready to go a head and purchase some gear...

So far I have been told I need ~160 cm board.

I would like flow bindings due to ease of use ...

my price range is low to moderate and my level is beginner/novice. I grew up on the coast (wakeboarding my whole life) so snowboarding came to me so much easier than skiing

anyway, any tips/help/brands are very appreciated.

So far, i have been shopping on ebay a a few websites for boards ...

here is a board someone recommended to me ... its a 163 silence shatter. im not familiar with the brand...

i havent looked into boots yet - any help with that appreciated

Thanks
anywhere inbetween a 156-159. the shorter the easier its gonna be to hit the park when you do. but the longer the faster your gonna go down the mountain. id say go for a 157. and a rome agent maybe? its got good all around ratings and its an almost twin meaning that its still got a little directional in it for your downhill fun. if your serious with the sport than that would prolly be the board. if not then a forum stomper would be my next pick. with flow bindings if your set on those, if not ride romes or forums. burtons can be a little pricy. boots 32 or dc theyre cheap and theyll do for your riding.

any questions feel free to ask.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
mbehr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbah686 View Post
anywhere inbetween a 156-159. the shorter the easier its gonna be to hit the park when you do. but the longer the faster your gonna go down the mountain. id say go for a 157. and a rome agent maybe? its got good all around ratings and its an almost twin meaning that its still got a little directional in it for your downhill fun. if your serious with the sport than that would prolly be the board. if not then a forum stomper would be my next pick. with flow bindings if your set on those, if not ride romes or forums. burtons can be a little pricy. boots 32 or dc theyre cheap and theyll do for your riding.

any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks!!

is there a huge difference in performance when you go from a 157 to a 160? is it just a faster board?

what about a never summer board? i think i saw that brand suggested in another thread. Just curious about pro/cons of the sizes and brands ...

do you like the flow bindings? they seem to be the easiest ones i have used so far
Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I posted this in another thread, but the points all apply to your question:

Height means nothing. Weigth, and boot size are what you need to be concerned about. You need a board that is wide enough to keep you toe/heel from not over-hanging too much. You also need a board that is designed to flex correctlly with your weight.

That said, some brands make a deck that is 155cm and coveres a weight range of 120-155 (pulling number out of my ass, here). Another brand may make a 155cm deck that covers people up to 200lbs. It really depends on how the board is designed to ride, not the actual size the board is. The best thing you can do is check-out the web sites from various brands. Check out the stats for the boards they make, and look at the suggested weight-ranges for their boards. As a general rule, longer boards handle more weigth, and shorter boards for less weight. However, I know the K2 WWW 152 deck says it can handle people up to 200lbs. So rules, like hymens, are meant to be broken.
Common brands you could check out are:

-Ride
-Forum
-Burton
-Never Summer
-K2
-Rome
-Atomic
-Flow

Hope this helped.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
mbehr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
I posted this in another thread, but the points all apply to your question:

Height means nothing. Weigth, and boot size are what you need to be concerned about. You need a board that is wide enough to keep you toe/heel from not over-hanging too much. You also need a board that is designed to flex correctlly with your weight.

That said, some brands make a deck that is 155cm and coveres a weight range of 120-155 (pulling number out of my ass, here). Another brand may make a 155cm deck that covers people up to 200lbs. It really depends on how the board is designed to ride, not the actual size the board is. The best thing you can do is check-out the web sites from various brands. Check out the stats for the boards they make, and look at the suggested weight-ranges for their boards. As a general rule, longer boards handle more weigth, and shorter boards for less weight. However, I know the K2 WWW 152 deck says it can handle people up to 200lbs. So rules, like hymens, are meant to be broken.
Common brands you could check out are:

-Ride
-Forum
-Burton
-Never Summer
-K2
-Rome
-Atomic
-Flow

Hope this helped.
Nice

that helps a lot ... to expand on your points, if i am a novice, shouldnt i get a board that not very stiff?

BTW, i dont have any plans of hitting th park ... i just want a solid board compatible with my current skill sets and for how i want to ride.

with that said, of the boards listed above, which brand is going to go easy on my wallet?

thanks in advance!!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbehr22 View Post
[B]that helps a lot ... to expand on your points, if i am a novice, shouldnt i get a board that not very stiff?
You want a happy medium. Not something really soft (pure jib board), or something really stiff (pure freeride/big-mountain board).

Quote:
with that said, of the boards listed above, which brand is going to go easy on my wallet?
Heh. At some point you have to take responsibility for your OWN research. We aren't going to do all the work for you! You have a list of brand names, now go take a look at their respective web sites.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote