K2 Baselines - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default K2 Baselines

Hi guys

I'm currently learning to snowboard and decided to buy a board. I've had a couple of lessons and some time int he mountains in France last year and off to Bulgaria in two weeks. I want to buy a board and I'm sold on K2. I really like their products.

I am having trouble choosing a good beginners board. My main priority is to be able to get down groomed slopes nicely. I'm not really fussed about hitting the park or anything at this stage. I want something that will help progress my learning but will also be a nice ride once I'm at a good recreational level.

To name a few boards I like the look:
K2 Darkstar
K2 Raygun
K2 Parkstar

I like most of them really although really not too keen on the Anagram appearance.

What baseline technology is best for the beginner?
Catch free rocker?
Flatline?

I THINK I would prefer a twin tip, centered board. I just think it keeps things simpler for a beginner? Am I wrong?

Could you please explain your answer, I've tried reading the K2 site but it doesn't give me a definitive answer.

Please recommend me a suitable K2 board

Thank you
leecasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

i vote for the raygun. definitely not the parkstar as it will be too noodley for you and won't help you progress into carving. the darkstar is a good board as well but the all terrain rocker in the raygun will be more forgiving for learning. i have the turbo dream which is sort of the raygun's big brother and i love it.
ryannorthcott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

I ride the parkstar 157. Great board, wish the top sheet could take more abuse but I ride everything, rails, sliders, kickers, tables, free ride, powder, etc etc...It is my first "nice" board. Learned on rentals and then a cheeeeeeeaaaaap ass ride board and bindings. Going to the parkstar and my '10 Flow NXT ATSE bindings was night and day improvement.
jputtho2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would also check out the k2 Brigade, I had the 2009 model and it was great. It has a catch free edge design, so really nice for learning. It does have a slightly set-back stance, so that may be a deal breaker for you, but something to look at. Its also not as flexy as the other boards like parkstar and darkstar, so it'll be better for mountain riding
cjwalsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

both the raygun and the brigade have a set back position, brigade is 1" I believe and Raygun 3/4". Could this effect my learning?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

A directional twin is perfectly fine for beginners. Sure, a true twin will ride the same both ways thus making switch riding easier but... you won't be able to tell the difference given your current skill level.

Also, for freeriding, directional boards are the best. A directional twin is also beneficial to mix in a bit of freestyle in your riding.

So if your main focus is to just cruise down the mountain, go ahead and get a directional twin. The Raygun is awesome for the price. I can't commend K2 enough for making a board this good at such a cheap price.

It's not going to be super stable for bombing down black steeps, but something tells me that you won't be doing that anytime soon.

K2 Raygun Snowboard 2011

K2's all-terrain rocker is very beginner friendly. It is 70% flatline in the middle and 30% rocker in the tips. The nose has a medium rise rocker and the tail has a mellow low rise. This shape is great for powder riding.

Flatline might be too aggressive for a beginner. It adds to the speed of the board. The Darkstar also has a sintered base which is very fast when waxed. Flatline plus 4000 Sintered base = the board might ride you.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

haha, awesome reply. Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you very much. I can end my long quest and go for the Raygun. Will pick it up tomorrow. Thanks!!