rocks! :( - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default rocks! :(

Today I was at the resort, and I ran over some rocks with my board... I don't think any of them are core shots though... wondering what the best course of action would be? (Pics are uploading to photobucket right now... will post link soon...)

Also, my edges are starting to get fairly dinged up and I was wondering how often yall get your boards machine tuned/base ground, etc.?

Last edited by veazer; 01-28-2011 at 11:19 PM.
veazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-repair.html
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Operator wide base hits pictures by almightyveazer - Photobucket

-picturez

And i did read through that thread... It does talk about tuning, but not machine tuning frequency, nor base repair, just waxing and tuning basically.

Last edited by veazer; 01-28-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

get some ptex candles theres a sticky about it in the tips tricks blah blah blah section about board repair and maintenance. (scroll down a couple posts in the thread linked above theres a vid about base repair). by the pics id say you should fix them but theyre not TOO bad...
edit: you can get ptex CANDLES (not sticks) at onlne shops like tognar but your local shop will definetly have some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehaus View Post
Snowolf and I have came to an agreement that it was for sure Poutanen's fault. I vote for one year of probation and being forced to ride skis til death.

Last edited by mrjimyjohn; 01-28-2011 at 11:44 PM.
mrjimyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for that link, and my local shop's got a few buckets full of p-tex sticks/candles (difference?)... I take it the color doesn't really matter, just try to match the base?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

ya make sure you get the candles though because the sticks will not light on fire like the candles which means you need to use a glue gun type thing that probably casts 20Gs or a soldering iron. your shop might call them sticks when theyre candles anyway just ask them. also the video doesnt show it but you should keep the candle moving (roll it around in your hand) so that the ptex doesnt oxidize. your shpo will probably tell you that but just thought id say it anyways

Quote:
Snowolf and I have came to an agreement that it was for sure Poutanen's fault. I vote for one year of probation and being forced to ride skis til death.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I doubt my shop will tell me anything... they didn't know what a file guide was the last time i went there... Nor did they know what base cleaner was. Stupid freestyle employees... But if it doesn't light i can bring it back, or just make it melt anyway(I'm a fire-eater, so I could prolly make a hot enough flame with something in my garage) and besides, they wouldn't sell p-tex that you need a gun for, their consumers arent that high-tech

But going back to the pictures... how do i tell if that one bad-ish gash near the edge got to the core or not? (How would I tell for any gouge for that matter?)

Also, my base is sintered, so will dripping normal candle p-tex work, or would i need the stuff that you need to solder in? (soldering irons are cheap)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

no none of the pics you gave are core shots (youd know if they were, theyd be a completely different color) but as for the sticks, if thats all they have, itll work but it takes a lot more time because theyre specifically made to be used for core shots (the chemical something blah blah i dont know is different so it locks itself to fiberglass or even wood if its really bad better) im not sure if theres any difference for sintered/extruded bases but id assume it would work. (ptex is ptex is it not?)

Quote:
Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimyjohn View Post
(ptex is ptex is it not?)
Let us hope so... I'll post pics post-repair tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

None of those dings looked too bad to me. The one along the edge was the worst but it looked pretty small in size. I don't know if I would even bother fixing any of them until the annual base grind.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote