Beginner wanting to make first purchase - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner wanting to make first purchase

Alright so I just went snowboarding a couple times - basically my first times (I don't count the times when I was 13, 7 years ago) and I'm pretty sure I'm hooked on it. I really can't wait to go again. I fell a fair bit at first but I'm a pretty fast learner and by the end of the day I'd say I was doing pretty decent. I plan to go a lot in the future and since renting a board/boots each time costs $45~ I figure after 10 times, buying my own gear will have been worth it.

I've been doing a lot of reading about the sport and the equipment and I was going to try my best to not ask for too much help unless I really narrowed it down but I really have no idea what to buy.

Basic info I know someone will need to help me:
-height - 5'8/9ish
-Weight - 130 - this is kind of tricky for me as I'm currently skinny as hell because I've hardly done anything physical in a couple years. I don't quite like how skinny I am and I'm actually a fairly athletic person and I don't think it'll be too much of a problem for me to gain 10-15 pounds. How much this will affect my board size - I have no idea
-Boot size - 10.5/11 - I REALLY hope I won't need a wide board.. will I? D:
-Riding style - I haven't touched any park stuff other than a couple tiny jumps just to try it out but I definitely think it's something I'd get a little more into. Generally, the "all mountain" type thing interests me.
-Age - 20
-budget - I don't have the biggest budget, under $500 for board/boots/bindings would be ideal and I would LOVE to get something for less but I have doubts that it'll be possible and I really don't want to regret cheaping out on something I'll be using for some years. If an extra $100 would be worth it for me then it's not a big deal

Also - I live in BC, Canada so something I could order without too many fees would be lovely. I wish I had a couple board shops where I live to get a general idea of what I'm looking for but unfortunately I live in a tiny town with NOTHING.

The board is obviously the part I want most help with. I've been looking into used/new/old stuff and the only time I go "hey, that's not super expensive" is when I see something like a 5150 board, LTD transition board or something similar and I really have no idea if they'd be worth buying. I'm guessing the answer is no.
One last thing, I'm not saying I HAVE to make a purchase soon. I just want some general guidance. Is there a time when old stock would be going on clearance that I should consider waiting it out for or should I start right now?

Thank you SO much for any help. I'm sorry for my giant post but I figure too much information is better than too little.
NeXiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm in the same kind of position. Also a beginner looking to buy his first.

I like K2. I know the K2 Anagram is for beginners and a very good price. Its a true twin tip, centered and very forgiving with its catch free rocker. Only reason I'm not getting this board is I'm not that keen on the graphics. Personal preference, I know some people who love it. It does look much nicer in person mind.

The board I think I'm going to get is the K2 Raygun. It's slightly off center, its twin tip but it is directional. For me this isnt a problem as I dont really plan on hitting any parks and stuff for a while, although apparently it can do ok there too. The graphics are really nice on this board in my opinion and its once again a forgiving, stable ride. Slightly more expensive than the Anagram, but worth it I think.

Check them out!

Disclaimer!: I am not an expert, just done heaps of research in beginner boards and tech over the past 2 weeks as like you I am looking to buy my first board. Good luck with your choice!
leecasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
WMM

@ OP I would think a 155 size is decent for you. I would get a wide if I were you but its all up to you. I don't know what to say about what type of board you should get. But click the link below.
@ Poster bellow, if you are new I don't recommend you get that bored. You should watch some reviews on it, I watched several reviews and majority of them class the board as a intermediate to advanced board. They say if you go all out on a board and you're new you won't even recognize the difference if you road a different board before. It may also make it harder for you with all the new technologies. Thats actually the board I am planning on getting, the k2 raygun.

Both of you should check out this link: Best Snowboards for Beginners | Made Manual
WMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I was looking at that raygun and it definitely interests me but I'm having trouble finding it on a Canadian website :\ Some of these boards that appeal to me just have NO reviews anywhere. This is getting pretty difficult At what time does next year's gear start rolling out? I imagine there would be some older stuff on sale then?

Also - I'm not arguing but are you sure 155 is good for me? Any of those calculator type things told me 149-151 basically. I really appreciate the info though ^^

Anyone mind telling me if ANY of these package deal things are even close to worth it?
boardroomshop.com - Skate, Snow, Wake, Surf :: Order Online or Call TollFree 1-800-316-7669
NeXiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

check out wiredsports.com they've good packages and stuff. if u buy all boots/board/bindings it'll be cheaper than buying one by one on its own. shipping fees from US to canada is 15bucks. i had to pay tax for mine when i picked it up from Canada post cause i wasnt at home...cost be another 15, but its way cheaper compared to some other places. check it out not tons of boards but u should check it out to see
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
WMM

Well I am just guessing so go by the chart.

I don't recommend the raygun, I recommend you look at that link to pick your board I post on my post above. If you're new it will likely make it harder or you won't even tell the difference with the new technologies added. But the price is pretty good, I know of several burtons that I've seen on several sites, that are cheap and are classed as beginner boards.
WMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I went in the store today to buy the Raygun. The guy convinced me to demo the Burton Process V Rocker. LOVED IT! It was a bit more expensive than the Raygun but looks sweeter and rides like a dream. So much fun!

Burton Process V Rocker 10/11
leecasey is offline   Reply With Quote