Looking to buy my first board. Help a noobie out? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking to buy my first board. Help a noobie out?

Hey everyone. I live in Seattle. I've been skiing for a while, and I can do blacks, but I started boarding this year, and I like it significantly more (I only started skiing because my friends at the time did, haha). I've been up four times, two of those times on lifts, and I think I have at least a decent hang of it.

Personal info
132 pounds (My friend is kind of a big guy, haha, and he weighs a fair amount more than I do). Note this later
5'8"
My shoe size is 10.
I do not do park. Right now I am doing Blue runs, which are groomed, but I do want to eventually do Blacks(which include ungroomed runs of course).
Dunno if this makes a difference, but I am fairly athletic/in shape. Not like a state champion or anything, haha, but I run, lift weights, use a balance board, etc.

I used my friend's Ride Control those four times. It is a bit old (I can't contact him right now, but it's between 2005 and 2008). It has Ride LS bindings, which are the same age. It's 149 CM. My friend is offering to sell this to me, bindings included, for $150 Although it does need waxing, and some sharpening. It's fairl

I will continue to Snowboard, and would like to invest in a board. Is this worth it to invest in an old board, even if it is a pretty decent price? My friend said that it's a bit small for me, and I basically sacrifice some speed, but gain some maneuverability.

But, I'm willing to shell out more money to get a new in season board. Granted if that is a smarter option than getting an out of date board (for the price and the such). So, help me out here?
Poseidenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

u might as well pay a little more to get a new board with boots and bindings. its better for the long run check out online retailers and if u prefer go to a local shop.

wiredsport.com is a good online dealer. i get my boards and stuff from there.check it out. u can make a snowboard package which would save u money too :P
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenny View Post
u might as well pay a little more to get a new board with boots and bindings. its better for the long run check out online retailers and if u prefer go to a local shop.

wiredsport.com is a good online dealer. i get my boards and stuff from there.check it out. u can make a snowboard package which would save u money too :P
Thanks! But the snowboards they list are kind of limited. No Burton, K2, neversummer, GNU, Libtech, etc.

Also, what type of board should I get? I know there are freestyle, alpine, all mountain, and freeride boards, right? I've heard I should get a freestyle, because they are more forgiving to beginners. But I don't really plan on doing park. Haha, so which type should I focus on?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also turns out I'm a bit dyslexic, it's a 146 board. And it also turns out I'm a bit impulsive, I decided to go ahead and buy his board. I figured it rode well enough,even if it is a bit short, I don't need to go blitzing down the mountain. And I figure I need a decent beginner board/a kind of cheap set, before I go out and blow $500 on a new board/bindings. Gotta figure out what I like and all of that. So in the mean time I'll research, and maybe I'll buy a new board in a couple of seasons!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

itrs preetty damn short especially for no park. you should try and move to park once you are comfortable carving everywhere
purpleian907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Haha, so was a bit of a too-impulsive buy? I think I'm closer to 5'7", and I'm on the lighter end.