Skier looking to buy board... fast advancing beginner? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Skier looking to buy board... fast advancing beginner?

aight so i've been skiing for quite a while now, started in grade 5 and now into 1st year uni. but recently i've gone snowboarding at blue mountain (if you guys know where that is, collingwood, ontario, pretty much the biggest ski "hill" there is in ontario), and i'll have to say, i like it! yeah i still like skiing too, and mostly would board for half a day as a noob then ski the 2nd half and drag my friends down double blacks and glades.

but anyways. i've gone snowboarding twice, and by the end of the second day i was very comfortable going down blue runs and was itching to try single diamonds (except my friends didn't want to come along, and they've been boarding for 2 or 3 years too...). anyways, i'm looking into buying a board. I'm definitely gonna stick with it, it's really fun, very different than skiing (hurts alot more too when you fall)...

so i've been looking around for some cheap setups, i know cheap setups aren't good.. and what not. but i do have a budget i guess, and probably won't let myself spend more than 450 to 500 CAD on the whole setup. sportchek seems to have some pretty cheap gears, i was looking at the FireFly Furious they have on sale right now for $130, but i've been getting a lot of mixed reviews over the internet. some say just by the name "firefly" u know it's crap so stay out of it, others are saying that it's okay for a beginner board and it's a good bang for your buck. and overall it's just difficult to find reviews on firefly boards. 2 other boards on sale are the K2 anagram 10/11 model and the ride control 2010 model for $200 bucks. I've read that teh K2 anagram is a pretty solid lineup, and wasn't able to find much on the control.

only the firefly is on their website: Firefly Furious Snowboard 2010/11 - SportChek.ca

with boots i'm planning on going with these: Ride Anthem Boa Snowboard Boots 2010/11 - SportChek.ca
haven't tried them out yet, but obviously i'd have to find something that's comfortable, so if those aren't comfortable i won't get those...

bindings i have no clue. i was gonna go with basically the cheapest, except now after reading some reviews/recommendations, i found out that bindings are actually really important on a board, so in that department i'm totally opened to suggestions now...

i defintely plan on sticking with it. whether i'll try park or not i dont know. i don't on skis, but maybe i will on a board. i really like speed though. i think i'm a pretty fast learner? if i can go down blues at a comfortable pace by the end of the second day? but then again, i don't know how a noob/intermediate would really be classified i.e. here.

so yeah... out of those boards, taking into account my budget, my experiences (or lack thereof), which one would you guys suggest? boots? bindings? general advices?

thx
chopperdudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've never heard of that board. If you are a rapidly-advancing beginner then you will "outgrow" a cheap, beginner board in about 6 days of riding. At your budget maybe look for a higher quality used board in good shape? Year-end closeouts should be right around the corner.

As for the boots, I say do not buy a single-BOA boot. With only one BOA the boot will be too tight in one area or too loose in another, but not ever "right." Get a dual BOA if you're going to get BOA.

I'm a big fan of K2 bindings.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you're buying from sportchek... get the K2 WWW.. i believe that's the only decent board they carry. Or go to a local board shop. they always have old equipment on sale and will be able to help you find something in your budget. off the top of my head, board shops in the GTA i can think of are corbetts, hustler, saction, hogtown, sportinglife (at sherway) or sportinglife skis and bikes on yonge, sign of the skier, and boardsports..

I find that the people who work at sportinglife and sanction are a lot more helpful. if you really aren't sure if you'll stick with snowboarding and just want a set to learn on so you don't have to rent everytime. play it again sports? buy an entire setup for less than $120? and when u feel like a pro you can spend a ton of money on a nice set up.

hope that helps...

cheers
jyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i could be wrong but i think this thread was started in january
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure victoria stiles up there is a bot of some sort.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
i could be wrong but i think this thread was started in january
This. You guys need to check dates before you post in a thread. This is from January and is almost a year old.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
I'm pretty sure victoria stiles up there is a bot of some sort.
Yep. I'm going with spam bot.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote