First time out on new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First time out on new board

I took my board (K2 Raygun w/ Rome 390's) out for the first time yesterday at the lovely Perfect North Slopes (/sarcasm). I did have a blast though and got a full day of riding in, we got there as soon as they opened and rode the entire 8 hours with a 30 minute lunch break.

We hit the beginner green chair they have there twice (because we both had new boards) to make sure everything was set-up and good to go. We then hit the blues all day and I was doing a decent job of linking some very quick skidded turns together because (and here comes my main gripe) the place is so packed that at times there were twenty people (at least) trying to fit down a narrow run and to be honest I do not trust people to actually have the ability to avoid me when they come down the trail. But it was still a good day and I really progressed fast and caught back on pretty quickly after not snowboarding for a long time. The set-up felt good the entire day (i was at +15/-9) and my slight worry about my overhang was not a worry at all (just one of those things I needed to get on the board and see). By the end of the day I had gone down the double black "Showtime" very cautiously but still doing my best to link my turns and then the single black "Encore" which I was able to link some turns down.

Overall it was a good day and the board was amazing. It is nice to finish a day of riding and not have any pain from terrible boots or anything like that. I know it was a good day as well and the board made a difference because I am sore from riding for eight hours and not in pain from falling a ton!

So if any of you read all that I have on request for advice/technique. I can ride and initiate a turn heelside. And I can get to my toe side slightly but I feel like I am really fighting with the board to initiate a turn to my toeside and get the board past the fall line, what do I need to be doing differently? (In your opinion from how you see most mistakes being made)

P.S. Rode on the lift with some great people as well, definitely a positive experience for the day
Boiler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eug3fo View Post
Toe-side is always less comfortable; you just gotta kick that back foot to initiate your turning. Imagine a bull kicking its hind legs and kicking up dirt before he attacks. After you get used to it it'll just happen naturally.
NO. Sorry but that is terrible advice. Kicking your back foot to initiate a turn (ruddering) is bad technique and should only be used when absolutely needed. Skidded turns are initiated with the front foot and the rear than follows in a slightly different path, creating a skid.

This thread has some good info on skidded turns and carving as well.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tip...s-carving.html
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you Qball and I know I was definitely "ruddering" a lot more than I should have been which is something I will need to work on. Luckily I'll be back on the slopes in about two weeks to work on it.

I will definitely read over that thread more though.
Boiler12 is offline   Reply With Quote