Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   09' lib tech trs with magna and banana (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/36777-09-lib-tech-trs-magna-banana.html)

Nickybonez 01-30-2011 01:50 PM

09' lib tech trs with magna and banana

I'm 6'2 about 210lbs and i ride a 162 trs i've been riding lib boards for awhile and love them....... Except this one I don't know if its me or not, but i just can't get comfortable with the board i swear i change my stance everytime i ride and i think i have it right, but its not.. I"ve been asking around and some ppl love it and some ppl hate it. I also find that some ppl said that on that board you should go smaller and some ppl said go bigger. I wanted to know what you guys think or if you've had any experience like this?

PATKOUG 01-30-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickybonez (Post 367330)
I'm 6'2 about 210lbs and i ride a 162 trs i've been riding lib boards for awhile and love them....... Except this one I don't know if its me or not, but i just can't get comfortable with the board i swear i change my stance everytime i ride and i think i have it right, but its not.. I"ve been asking around and some ppl love it and some ppl hate it. I also find that some ppl said that on that board you should go smaller and some ppl said go bigger. I wanted to know what you guys think or if you've had any experience like this?

I generally prefer high-speed oriented all-mountain type riding with random/infrequent excursions through the park to hit the medium-sized jumps and, of course, as much fresh, deep powder as I can get when it's available to me.

In December of 2008 I picked up a 2008-2009 Lib-Tech Dark Series 161 MTX--which I love because it excels at the type of riding I like--hard chargin' and hard carvin'.

My Dark is very responsive--it's stiff enough to bomb on, super poppy, and super edge-y with its MTX edges. I think it's a killer high speed all-mountain board. I'm pretty sure that the Dark is and always has been LT's stiffest and edge-iest board.

Near the end of 2008-2009 I spent about an hour or so on my friend's 2008-2009 LT TRS 157 BTX and I did not like it at all. I attribute this feeling to the board's Banana reverse-camber. While carving, that board would instantly spin-out on me on what seemed like practically any/every little bump and/or depression. My belief is that BTX is just too "loose" for my preferences.

However my brother, whose riding style is very similar to mine, has told me that he likes his 2008-2009 LT TRS 159 BTX very much BECAUSE of its characteristic Banana/reverse-camber "looseness" and he charges on it no problem.

So while my brother and I are both hard-chargers, he likes BTX, but I do not and don't want anything to do with it.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose...

p.s. I'm 5'9"/185# with size 10 feet/boots and my brother is 6'1"/150# with size 10 feet/boots also.

Nickybonez 01-30-2011 04:52 PM

exactly that's the way i feel every little bump/depression i feel like i'm gonna wipe out.. Sometimes I don't even where my goggles because i don't want to lose control on bumps I can't see in the shady areas. When i spoke to a sales rep they pretty much told me the same thing about the banana camber. They suggested a yes board next.

PATKOUG 01-30-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickybonez (Post 367434)
exactly that's the way i feel every little bump/depression i feel like i'm gonna wipe out.. Sometimes I don't even where my goggles because i don't want to lose control on bumps I can't see in the shady areas. When i spoke to a sales rep they pretty much told me the same thing about the banana camber. They suggested a yes board next.

I think that that sales rep probably recommended a Yes board to you because most Yes Boards utilize a cambered/reverse-cambered hybrid called Camrock.

I haven't tried any cambered/reverse-cambered hybrids as of yet, but I'm definitely interested in doing so and there are a-lot to choose from.

If you like MTX, a C2BTX board might be the hot ticket for you as far as cambered/reverse-cambered hybrids go.

However, I wouldn't just rule-out reverse-cambered boards wholesale because they're not all the same--they're not "all created equal" so to speak...

On that note, I just picked up a "Jib-Rockered" 2009-2010 K2 Jibpan 159 earlier this season right around Thanksgiving which is mostly flat with just a little bit of reverse-camber in its tips and it exhibits none of the negative tendencies I experienced with that 2008-2009 TRS 157 BTX. It carves/edges/turns solidly--very much like a full-cambered board--and it also floats fresh powder considerably better than any other similarly-sized full-cambered board that I've ridden because of its slight reverse-camber. And, like a-lot of people say about reverse-cambered boards, its slightly-raised tips also provide a little more forgiveness when landings are less than perfect. I like it a-lot.