Board advice, anyone? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board advice, anyone?

Hello snowboardingforum!

I have been snowboarding for 4 years (seasons), and I want to get my own board.

I mainly do freeriding, but i also want to get into jumping. Nothing major (if i break my legs or arms im screwed for my job) but just something fancy, a couple little jumps for fun and basic tricks, but still mainly freeriding.

My budget is about 400$, and today I went to a local shop and the guy there suggested i buy a Rossignol Angus 158MW.

I am about 5'9" and weigh about 180lbs, and my shoe size is 10-11 USA.

Thoughts? Anybody recommend this board too for my use and budget? Is that guy right on the size of the board/whatever or should i go for something else?

Thanks a lot.
Jas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You fit the bill for a Ride Machete:

Ride Machete Snowboard 2011

Good jump board. Has a good consistent pop. It's also excellent for powder riding. A little over your budget, but I would choose this over the Angus any day (yes, I demoed both boards).

I am your height and weight with size 9.5-10 boots (I wore my size 10 at demo). I rode the 158 just fine.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
You fit the bill for a Ride Machete:

Ride Machete Snowboard 2011

Good jump board. Has a good consistent pop. It's also excellent for powder riding. A little over your budget, but I would choose this over the Angus any day (yes, I demoed both boards).

I am your height and weight with size 9.5-10 boots (I wore my size 10 at demo). I rode the 158 just fine.
Tomorrow ill go to my local shop and check if they have it. Id really like to buy it there instead than the internet.

Is the angus that much worse? About the jump board, I mean i spend probably 90% of the time freeriding and 10% jumping, so its not really crucial.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I went for the angus by the way. Right after hitting you guys on the forum i went to the shop and the guy there had one of the last angus left from the old collection, (the one red and black with skulls) and gave me a price of 280$!!! So i went for it, it was a bargain.

I was told though that that midwide board 261mm waist is too mig for my foot size (EU43, i guess 11USA, or so a chart i found says,and is shoe size the same as boot size i dont know if it makes a difference).

Will that make a big difference or is it ignorable?

I doubt i can swap it for anything (at least in that price range), is it gonna be just slightly harder to use or should i definetly find a way to change it?

Last edited by Jas86; 01-30-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Please help me im freaking out i dont know if we will be able to change it because they had little boards left!!

if i put my foot on the board where the binding places are (barefoot) the foot is just as long as the board, wouldnt the boot make it even bigger?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas86 View Post
Please help me im freaking out i dont know if we will be able to change it because they had little boards left!!

if i put my foot on the board where the binding places are (barefoot) the foot is just as long as the board, wouldnt the boot make it even bigger?

Did you angle your feet to your stance angles? Most ppl dont ride 0/0...so if you angle your stance...should help...if still significant overhang...then you probably need a midwide/wide board.
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu View Post
Did you angle your feet to your stance angles? Most ppl dont ride 0/0...so if you angle your stance...should help...if still significant overhang...then you probably need a midwide/wide board.
Ok i put the feet (barefoot, i dont know how much difference boots can make but i need to buy new ones) on my stance, on the midwide board i have right now. It is 1cm smaller!!! will that even out with boots or not?

The shop i went to only has the 153cm version of the angus, (mine was one of the last i think last 2 or so) the only board in my price range in the shop.

So my question is: will width make more difference? Am i better off with a 153cm board (im 5foot 9 inches, about 1.79-1.80cm eu)that is that wide or is the MW fine (counting boots that maybe will make my foot 3cm bigger?

Thanks a lot im freaking out its my first board and i dont wanna get it all wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jas86; 01-30-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

I apologize for bumping my own thread once again, but

The boot should exceed 1cm back and infront of the board right?

Barefoot (putting the foot 1cm coming out of the back) has about 2.5cm missing to reach the tip of the top.

Will big socks and the boot itself be enough to make up for it?