Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Board and Size Recommendations (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/36814-board-size-recommendations.html)

SnowSportGuy 01-30-2011 09:30 PM

Board and Size Recommendations

New to the forum and look forward to any feedback given.

I am done renting boards and looking into finally purchasing my own equipment.

I am hoping to get feedback and recommendations from other boarders.

I am 6ft, 190lbs and wear a size 12 boot. I like using the performance boards and have had used Burton boards for most of my rentals but open to any other brand suggestions.

What size board in length range and board waist width would you recommend based on my physical description mentioned above? Also when purchasing a board and bindings separately, are all bindings compatible with any board or are their specs to look for in bindings as well? :dunno:

I am also interested, in regards to width, a board that does NOT result in toe over hang with my bindings.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Hodgepodge 01-30-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowSportGuy (Post 367630)
New to the forum and look forward to any feedback given.

I am done renting boards and looking into finally purchasing my own equipment.

I am hoping to get feedback and recommendations from other boarders.

I am 6ft, 190lbs and wear a size 12 boot. I like using the performance boards and have had used Burton boards for most of my rentals but open to any other brand suggestions.

What size board in length range and board waist width would you recommend based on my physical description mentioned above? Also when purchasing a board and bindings separately, are all bindings compatible with any board or are their specs to look for in bindings as well? :dunno:

I am also interested, in regards to width, a board that does NOT result in toe over hang with my bindings.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

you are going to be looking in the 161-163 range if you are an all mountain rider. definitely a wide, meaning 26cm + waist width. what kind of boards were you looking at? regular/reverse camber, etc

SnowSportGuy 01-30-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodgepodge (Post 367646)
you are going to be looking in the 161-163 range if you are an all mountain rider. definitely a wide, meaning 26cm + waist width. what kind of boards were you looking at? regular/reverse camber, etc

Thanks for you reply!

Is it better to go with Reverse Camber if mostly doing mountain riding? I also ride goofy I believe (right foot forward), so I am not sure if that makes a difference in binding/board selection

Hodgepodge 01-30-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowSportGuy (Post 367657)
Thanks for you reply!

Is it better to go with Reverse Camber if mostly doing mountain riding? I also ride goofy I believe (right foot forward), so I am not sure if that makes a difference in binding/board selection

doesnt make a difference which way you ride! if you are going to be going in a lot of powder most of the time, you should look at reverse camber. also, if you are a park guy who love rails and smaller jumps, look at reverse camber. on the other hand if you like big jumps, carving corduroy, and arcing powerful turns, you should look at regular camber. if you want a slay it all deck, check out hybrid camber, like mervin's c2btx or never summers rc tech. really, it all comes down to what feels right for you.

SnowSportGuy 01-30-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodgepodge (Post 367666)
doesnt make a difference which way you ride! if you are going to be going in a lot of powder most of the time, you should look at reverse camber. also, if you are a park guy who love rails and smaller jumps, look at reverse camber. on the other hand if you like big jumps, carving corduroy, and arcing powerful turns, you should look at regular camber. if you want a slay it all deck, check out hybrid camber, like mervin's c2btx or never summers rc tech. really, it all comes down to what feels right for you.

Thanks again for your help!

Since this is my first board and still in learning phase, a reverse camber seems right for me. My ideal conditions is to ride in powder most of the time. Just rode in Tahoe this weekend with a cambered board and it was a mix of powder and ice and it did relatively well.

SnowSportGuy 01-30-2011 10:17 PM

Now when it comes to bindings, are there some that are better than others or act differently?

Sorry for all the questions.

onji 01-30-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowSportGuy (Post 367677)
Now when it comes to bindings, are there some that are better than others or act differently?

Sorry for all the questions.

I'm going to try and avoid saying some bindings are better and others are worse as an overall quality. But given that, some bindings are better for some people, and others are not.

I don't know a whole lot about bindings but I'd recommend if you can't get a test run on the setup, at least see how your feet feel inside your boot, inside the binding, atop the board.

You also need to decide on whether you want ratchet bindings or the quick-release (Flow) bindings. They're both good types of binding. The quick-release are good because you can get in & out of them really quickly and (IMO) don't create pronounced pressure points on your feet. It's for these reasons my girlfriend prefers quick-release. I prefer ratchet because (IMO) I get quicker response from the board which I prefer at high speed & in the park. I also find the quick-release bindings really hard to release if you get buried in deep powder.