How to choose our first board, boots...? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jofi

Default How to choose our first board, boots...?

Hi everyone,
i'm new around here, and i have to say that you have quite a good forum, Congratulations.
I've doing snowboard for 3 years, and now i start to think about buying my own material. It is always diferent to have our own things.
I don't understand much about what to buy, so i'm asking if someone could help me a bit, with sizes, types, materials, quality, price, of board and boots...
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jofi

Default Sorry

Sorry, forgot sayin something
I am 'bout 180 cm, and weight 83 kg, my boot is about 44-45, i'm still a teenager, i'm gonna grow a bit, so i don't want something to expensive.
My brother wants one to, he is 16, has 190 cm, and weights 80 kg, his foot is 47(lol).
can you help,
jofi
Old 02-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Eric @ WA

My advice for boots...Try 'em on first! Never buy them online without trying them on. This is the most important piece of equipment you get. You can buy the most expensive and luxurious board and binding out there and none of it will mean a thing nor will you enjoy any part of it if you're feet are killing you.

Go to a shop first and try on as many pair of boots as you can. Walk around in 'em and make sure there are no pressure points. Buy the ones that feel comfortable for you. Pressure points equal uncomfortable feet. Uncomfortable feet equals pain. Pain equal a crappy boarding experience every time. Also keep in mind that the boots will pack out over time. In other words they will break in and typically go about .5 a size bigger. Get boots where your toes just touch the ends and are not curled. Over time as the boots pack out, everything will fit great!

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

with a 44-47(11-12.5 US??))) size foot (you and your brother's range) you both want at the very least, a mid-wide board (25.5 mm) or so. Since you're still both growing, your brother will probably want a wide board (26mm+) since he'll still grow into it.
If you're 18,19, you wont grow much I would think, so a 25.5mm board would be fine for you.

At your weight, both of you would want a 160-163 cm board
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jofi

Default what about marks?

And what about marks (i'm not quite sure it is how you say it...), what would be better rossignol, head, salomon...?
jofi
ps-thank you for answering so quickly...

oh and i forgot to say, i'm 14.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Best advice I was given was to demo as many boards as possible and think about what you like about each one...I would definitely try to demo the board you are planning to buy

If you figure out that you want something stiffer or want something for the park instead of groomed trails that can narrow it down...but...

Some people like apples and others like oranges - nobody else can give your the right answer for what board you should get...only you know how they feel when you ride them
dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jofi

Default Sure

you're right but what i wanted to know was which were the most reliable...
jofi
Old 02-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Most reliable boards? Tough call...I know Never Summer provides a three year warranty, and think they are the only company to do that.

Materials: As for base, I think a sintered base is supposed to be a bit better than an extruded base - although I heard somewhere that an extruded base might be a bit more durable? I think most boards these days use a wood core and a progressive side-cut is probably good for all-mountain riding. I dont know a whole lot about this and wont pretend to. If somebody else does that'd be great. I have an Arbor Alt, which uses a bamboo top-sheet that I love. Arbor is also known for using top-line materials and being very environmentally friendly - if that is something you care for.

For quality/reliability:

On the boots, I have a pair of K2 Raider Boas and have not had any problem with them...I know some people have complained that they might loosen up a bit after a few runs, but I just turn the knob on the boa system and they tighten right up. Very easy to use and fit great. I think any boot is going to loosen a little during the day - even with laces. This just makes it easier to tighten them after a dozen runs.

As for quality boards, I have not heard of people complaining about the quality of any of the standard companies. You probably cannot go wrong with Burton, Rome, Ride, Arbor, Never Summer, or the like.

For bindings, I have the K2 Autos and love them...but have only had them for three weeks or so and cant profess to know if they will stand the test of time. If they don't, I'd imagine that K2 will take care of me. I know there are a lot of posts about different bindings and am sure they have some valuable insights.

Good luck with the choice! Let us know what you decide.
dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofi View Post
And what about marks (i'm not quite sure it is how you say it...), what would be better rossignol, head, salomon...?
jofi
ps-thank you for answering so quickly...

oh and i forgot to say, i'm 14.

Rome, Burton, Ride, Option, Atomic, LibTech, Gnu, Never Summer, Arbor, Santa Cruz
All good boards, all good brands.

edit: Now the question is whether you get any of these brands where you are, cause by the looks of it, you aren't in North America
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote