Need help on board width! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help on board width!

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to snowboarding (been out about 5 times this year) and i'm looking to get my own setup. I bought a pair of burton rulers, size 11.5. Got them heat molded and they fit great, nice and snug but not cutting off circulation. My question is regarding board width as I've seen a ton of different info out there.

The guys I've talked to at the local shop say anything 11 and up needs a wide. However I've seen lots of posts on here that say otherwise. One post I read on here even said that someone with size 13 would be fine to ride anywhere from 25.5 to 26. I'm looking at picking up the carbon credit 156 Wide, but i'm worried that with it being a 26.7 width that i'll sacrifice overall control for turns.

Also, burton claims that the rulers have "shrinkage" technology but they still feel pretty big. I stepped on a wide board (26.2) with my boots on at our local shop and my toes still hung *slightly* over the edge. So what gives?

***As a side note, I think i'll be riding with bindings set at 15, -9 for now. I've got a pair of black rome 390's on the way if that makes any difference***
Feeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

i would go for a wide board. turn control won't be hindered a noticeable amount (at least is wasn't for me and i demo'ed the same normal width and wide board on the same day). I myself have size 11 feet and i'll always go for a wide or at least a mid-wide board. i also ride the exact same stance angles as you do and find on deep carves the toe drag gets annoying on a normal width board.
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

The wider your stance, the less chance you need a wide board. If your using heavy angles this also reduces the need for wide.
I wear 11.5 boot on a 156cm board with 25 cm waist width. With +12-12 angles i have no problem what so ever.
Hope this helps, and good luck
init is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, what init said.

11.5 boot and ride a 25.1 waist

stance is 23 +15/-12
jiveturkeydk is offline   Reply With Quote