Looking for a new setup for my Fiancee - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a new setup for my Fiancee

Hey guys, Was wondering if you could give me some advice on a new setup for my fiancee. She is very much a beginner but she is having a lot of fun and enjoys it. We want to get her a set up of her own.
Stats:
Height: 5'9" Tall
Weight: 135 Lbs
Boot size: 9
Riding style: Freeriding. I don't every see her wanting to get into the park.
Budget: $400-$500

Right now she really likes the Burton Feather, Burton Citizen Bindings and Burton Mint boots.
I don't really know a whole lot about other brands, my whole setup is burton as well but I want to learn more about what else is out there.

Thanks in advance.
jkiniowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Has she tried on the Mint boots and compared them to the fit of others? She should definitely try on as many boots as possible to make sure she gets the best fit. The setup you listed is a decent beginner setup if you want to stay with Burton but if you have room to stretch the budget a little I'd recommend at least upgrading the bindings. The Citizen is at the bottom of Burton's binding lineup.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

She has only tried on the Burton Mint and Coco Boots. I will try to get her in some others

We thought about the scribe or lexa as a possibility, or we may have found a deal on some used stiletto's
It's not a big deal to stay with burton, I would like to know about what else is out there that would work well for her
Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

The other issue we have out here in the midwest (Iowa) is that there are not a lot of shops, so not a lot of different brands. The ones I have seen are Burton, Saloman, DC, 5150, Lamar, Thirty-Two.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Lexa is a very nice binding but it will kill your budget if you're trying to get board, boots and bindings for $400-500. The Stiletto is a decent step up from the Citizen, especially if you find a deal on a used pair. Of the brands you listed, I'd stay away from 5150 and Lamar, the others are all good.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I figured 5150 and lamar were definately brands to stay away from. Just not sure if burton is the way to go since it tends to carry a higher price tag
Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I really can't recommend the Burton Feather. There are much better boards out there for the money and a lot of women report growing out of it quickly, since it's truly a beginner board.

I also can't recommend Stilettos: total crap for the money. Citizens would be even worse. The Stilettos were my first binding and I hated them so much I literally threw them away after just a few months.

A better binding for a similar price is the Ride VXn. The Burton Lexas are excellent, as are the Escapades, but they're expensive. Check out Rome Madison, Union Milan, Union Trilogy.

For a board, if she's pretty aggressive, get her an all-mountain board. If she's more timid, get her a freestyle/park board.

Some boards to consider:
Capita Space Metal Fantasy
Never Summer Pandora
Never Summer Infinity
Gnu B-Nice
Roxy Eminence
Roxy Ollie Pop
Arbor Eden
Arbor Cadence
Rome Vinyl
Ride Compact
Bataleon Violenza
Bataleon Distoria
K2 Luna/Lunatique
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Definately timid
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

My GF just bought her first setup, all Burton(got a good deal at Empire): Feather - Stiletto - Bootique. She seems very satisfied with it, but she's a beginning beginner And at our age (she's 35), I doubt she will ever become an aggressive rider.

The Stilettos seems to be decently made, no issues yet but obviously not a great binding either, just gets the job done...

Now for the boots: she tried a lot of different models and fell in LOVE with the Bootique (30$ more than the Mint). She says it's the most comfortable footwear she has owned(and she's owned a lot...) She would wear them to work or to go shopping if she could! Might be worth looking into it.

HTH,

Simon
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Simon, just because she is older does not mean she will not be aggressive. I am 34, my friend who is a die hard learned in her late 40s and keeps on pushing me to get private lessons on how to do jumps. I am not interested but never doubt a woman. You never know.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote