Board Suggestions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Suggestions

Weight 220
Boot size 12
Riding style: Beginner
Age 21
budget: ~600
Your location of riding: Boone, NC (Sugar, App Ski, ect)

I started riding this season, and feel like I'm picking it up quick. I've gone on the slopes a total of 5 times including the first time 7 years ago as a kid. I really enjoy getting out there and seeing the improvement as I ride. I'm taking a class from my college which is basically a professional period of instruction for about 40 minutes once a week for 6 weeks. I bought a night pass and have been going as soon as the soreness goes away.

I've been lurking around the forums reading info and was looking for some advice for a board.

I'm borrowing my old roommates gear right now. We're the same height 6'2" but I'm reading its more about weight and I'm about 25 lbs heavier than him. I'm a bit over weight, and have started getting active again both on and off the slopes so I'll probably be shedding off a few pounds as I go.

I'm currently on a Forum Manual 159cm board. The roomate bought B,B&B for a good price. The boots fit snug and I really like them (the ratcheting type) and only had issues when I realized they weren't tight enough (started getting rear ankle pain). I think I need a wide board though. I had to duck out my feed so the toes of my boot wont hang off the toeside edge. The bindings are set all the way back. Bad sign?

He offered to sell me the gear after the season was over, but it's looking more like I need to have my own gear, especially if I need to buy based on my weight.

There's a terrain park where I ride but I've only gone on it a few times, as I don't feel terribly comfortable getting air yet. I don't feel like goind down hard like I see tons of guys when they try to shave off speed during their approach. I'll probably mostly ride freestyle around the slopes but once I'm confident I would like to play in the park. No halfpipe here but tons of boxes rails and jumps.

I'd also like to get on the school snowboarding team next season. They do races around the east coast, so buying a board for specifically that would be an option, but I'd have a seperate board for that if the time came. I'm still not too comfortable with the speeds on diamonds.

Anyway, I hope this isn't too much superflouous info. Thanks for the help

Update: Went boarding last night and put my settings to +12/-12. I forced myself to ride switch most of the night and was happy to see that I could begin to carve the black diamond switch. Hit my first box, and still having trouble sticking the landings off bigger jumps.

Last edited by Tachypsychia; 02-02-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Tachypsychia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Im selling a 2011 Flow Merc on eBay right now. Its a 160cm WIDE. Should be a solid board for you. Selling it for $215.00, brand new, also have bindings for sale too if you wanna check it out... 2011 Flow Merc 160cm WIDE Snowboard White *NEW* - eBay (item 300521713142 end time Feb-11-11 16:23:15 PST)

Otherwise maybe a K2 Raygun would be a solid board right at about your budget.
kdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I rode today and tried to ride on my tail and pop some ollies but there was no flex to the board. I don't know if its because its out of my size range or just that beginner boards don't flex much, but my legs burn from trying to hold a butter down the slopes. I definitely want something with more spring.
Tachypsychia is offline   Reply With Quote