Bataleon 2012 Q & A - Page 13 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #121 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEricFautstein View Post
Riot vs. Evil Twin?

I am looking for an all mountain stick that can also do powder. occasionally go in the park.

How does the Riot handle pow? I have a hard time coming across reviews on the 2011 riot. Any major changes I should wait on for the 2012?

Will the ET handle pow better? do you think the et would be the better all around choice for my style of riding, even though the ET is a bit more flexible/park oriented?

THANKS!

btw, I am ~160 lbs, sz.10.5-11 boot
I would suggest the 2012 ET, The longer smoother tip/tail transition will help a lot on those powder days. The slightly softer tips on the ET will be perfect for those conditions. If you ride a lot of hardpack and ice then you would want to consider a more freeride oriented model, but it sounds like you are in a soft snow area.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #122 (permalink)

Is there anything the Riot is particularly weak at or not built for?
DrEricFautstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #123 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEricFautstein View Post
Is there anything the Riot is particularly weak at or not built for?
Hi Dr Eric,

The Riot is not a freeride board. As a stiffer twin, its range is really park to all mountain freestyle. If you are primarily a freerider you can find a better match.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #124 (permalink)

I'm looking into a all mountain/freeride deck. I live in NYC so I mostly shred in NY or PA and once in a while VT. I was looking into next years 156/158 Goliath, 156/159 Jam or 158 Omni. I'm leaning toward the Goliath or Jam in 156 cause mountains here are small, icy and crowded and being 170 lbs and 5'10".

What I would like to know is how would those boards handle ice because that's a big thing here. (Heard that it's a good idea to down size a board size to have extra grip.) I have heard that TBT is a little sketchy on icy conditions.

Also, which board would be a good match for me. I just want to go fast and yet still cruise around my slow buddies.
tomek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #125 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek142 View Post
I'm looking into a all mountain/freeride deck. I live in NYC so I mostly shred in NY or PA and once in a while VT. I was looking into next years 156/158 Goliath, 156/159 Jam or 158 Omni. I'm leaning toward the Goliath or Jam in 156 cause mountains here are small, icy and crowded and being 170 lbs and 5'10".

What I would like to know is how would those boards handle ice because that's a big thing here. (Heard that it's a good idea to down size a board size to have extra grip.) I have heard that TBT is a little sketchy on icy conditions.

Also, which board would be a good match for me. I just want to go fast and yet still cruise around my slow buddies.
Hi Tomek,

TBT in itself rips on ice! That said, any soft true twin model will suffer a little on boilerplate. The TBT design allows for full edge contact with only a small amount of edge pressure, but still keeps the contact point edges free at those critical moments that tend to happen quick and snap you down hard.

You likely want the Omni, but please post your foot size so we can know for sure.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Tomek,

TBT in itself rips on ice! That said, any soft true twin model will suffer a little on boilerplate. The TBT design allows for full edge contact with only a small amount of edge pressure, but still keeps the contact point edges free at those critical moments that tend to happen quick and snap you down hard.

You likely want the Omni, but please post your foot size so we can know for sure.

Thanks.
I have a boot size of 10.
The 158 Omni would be sweet but I never rode TBT and the Omni will have the Freeride TBT which I'm will have a really narrow center base. It would take some time for me to get use to it and I'm thinking that a Omni might be too much for me in these region of riding.

What do you think?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #127 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I have a boot size of 10.
The 158 Omni would be sweet but I never rode TBT and the Omni will have the Freeride TBT which I'm will have a really narrow center base. It would take some time for me to get use to it and I'm thinking that a Omni might be too much for me in these region of riding.

What do you think?
Just the opposite. The portion of the board with no TBT is long while the TBT portion is narrower. The board is directional and stiffer. Those elements are designed in to promote quick edge to edge transitions, a stable platform underfoot, max lift to the potential ice catching contact points. As always, the correct design for your conditions and style will be the easiest to ride. The 158 will be an exceptional choice. You could bump up to the 161.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Just the opposite. The portion of the board with no TBT is long while the TBT portion is narrower. The board is directional and stiffer. Those elements are designed in to promote quick edge to edge transitions, a stable platform underfoot, max lift to the potential ice catching contact points. As always, the correct design for your conditions and style will be the easiest to ride. The 158 will be an exceptional choice. You could bump up to the 161.
Aha. I see. Thanks.
Not really planning on buying a new board next season but I see that the Omni is only like $480 retail and it will be even cheaper towards the end of the season so might jump on one.
Also, noticed the 2012 158 Omni has a mellow sidecut of 8.45 and the 156 Jam has 8.05 and 159 Jam has 8.20.

Have you ridden the Omni or Jam Wiredsport? If so what was your experience with them.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #129 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Aha. I see. Thanks.
Not really planning on buying a new board next season but I see that the Omni is only like $480 retail and it will be even cheaper towards the end of the season so might jump on one.
Also, noticed the 2012 158 Omni has a mellow sidecut of 8.45 and the 156 Jam has 8.05 and 159 Jam has 8.20.

Have you ridden the Omni or Jam Wiredsport? If so what was your experience with them.
Omni's are $375 right now

I have spent a lot of days on the Omni and one on the Jam. I have mentioned it here before but the Omni is the sleeper in Bataleon's line. Not the style of riding they are best known for, but maybe it should be. TBT rips for Freeriding.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Omni's are $375 right now

I have spent a lot of days on the Omni and one on the Jam. I have mentioned it here before but the Omni is the sleeper in Bataleon's line. Not the style of riding they are best known for, but maybe it should be. TBT rips for Freeriding.
What do you mean "the sleeper in Batleon's line. Not the style of riding they are best known for, but maybe it should be."?