Bataleon 2012 Q & A - Page 46 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #451 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
losib3257's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 135
Default

Wired,

What is it like first riding TBT? I cannot help but to continue thinking that once I get on the board and start riding that I will feel like my board will have a teeter-totter effect because of the TBT.
losib3257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #452 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
pete7:19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losib3257 View Post
Wired,

What is it like first riding TBT? I cannot help but to continue thinking that once I get on the board and start riding that I will feel like my board will have a teeter-totter effect because of the TBT.
If anything it's the exact opposite.
First ride on my Jam and I had to tweak my style a fair bit. Until then I'd been gently leaning into turns using the edges, the raised edges on TBT don't catch so easily and you are forced to be more definite. It forced me to commit to the turn more and has made me a much more solid and stable rider as a result.
There is no instability as you suggest, just a good solid stable ride and very few nasty surprises. It's pretty rare for you to spend much time with the board flat to the ground when riding, unless you're just pointing the nose straight downhill and letting go, so most of the time the stability of a flat base is only used when you're standing still at the bottom of the chair lift.
pete7:19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #453 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losib3257 View Post
Wired,

What is it like first riding TBT? I cannot help but to continue thinking that once I get on the board and start riding that I will feel like my board will have a teeter-totter effect because of the TBT.
The first ride on TBT depends a little on where you are coming from. If you have been riding a fully cambered conventional deck, then you will immediately appreciate the snag free feel from the lifted edges at the contact points. It may take a few runs for you to get the feel for exactly when the full edge will engage, but this is very minor and it happens early on.

If you are coming from a rockered design, there is no adjustment period. You will notice the extra punch of camber right away and the catch free feel of your old rocker board is still there.

There is no teeter totter effect because A. If you meant nose to tail rock, it is not there because these boards are all cambered and B. If you meant edge to edge, that is not an issue because the baords are flat between the inserts (edge to edge). TBT is only present out past the inserts.
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #454 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
losib3257's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
The first ride on TBT depends a little on where you are coming from. If you have been riding a fully cambered conventional deck, then you will immediately appreciate the snag free feel from the lifted edges at the contact points. It may take a few runs for you to get the feel for exactly when the full edge will engage, but this is very minor and it happens early on.

If you are coming from a rockered design, there is no adjustment period. You will notice the extra punch of camber right away and the catch free feel of your old rocker board is still there.

There is no teeter totter effect because A. If you meant nose to tail rock, it is not there because these boards are all cambered and B. If you meant edge to edge, that is not an issue because the baords are flat between the inserts (edge to edge). TBT is only present out past the inserts.

That is good to know because I am coming from a cambered deck. If TBT is only present from the bindings out how will I fell the TBT? Once I apply my weight and start riding the TBT then touches the surface?
losib3257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #455 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losib3257 View Post
That is good to know because I am coming from a cambered deck. If TBT is only present from the bindings out how will I fell the TBT? Once I apply my weight and start riding the TBT then touches the surface?
Good question. When weighted and running flat the deck has full length contact surface from wide point to wide point on the center line, but at the tip and tail the wide points are not in contact. When edging it takes only a little lean to engage the edges. The idea is to create more edge when you want it, less when you don't.
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #456 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
losib3257's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Good question. When weighted and running flat the deck has full length contact surface from wide point to wide point on the center line, but at the tip and tail the wide points are not in contact. When edging it takes only a little lean to engage the edges. The idea is to create more edge when you want it, less when you don't.
Okay, thanks that makes much more sense now.
losib3257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #457 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 5,280
Default

Hi! I have a 2011 ET Classic. Just wondering what the factory bevel is and if i should take it to a shop for tuning to a different bevel. I will be using it for a little all mountain, mostly park.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #458 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Hey, how does the TBT handle on rails, like doing blunts, and tail slides towards the tips of the board. Does the narrower base make it harder to not fall forward or backward?
hoopsthereitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #459 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 138
Default

hi Wiredsport, really appreciate what you're doing for the community with all your feedback! So now.. I must.. ask

So last season I had a YES Great Dudes then picked up late season a fun.kink US edition. Needless to say I sold the YES. This season, looking to add another Bataleon to my collection. I'm leaning towards the 153 or 156 Whatever (despite the extruded base). I like steeps, bombing, tree runs and just random fun.. just all around fun really..I'm 5'8, 157lbs, size 7 Salomon boots.. -12/9 (I dont recall, too lazy to look for my board since in storage). Can you recommend a sizing? THANKS!

It was either this, or get a 2011 154 (?) Riot .. what do you think?

Last edited by oldlady; 10-08-2011 at 03:10 AM.
oldlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #460 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlady View Post
hi Wiredsport, really appreciate what you're doing for the community with all your feedback! So now.. I must.. ask

So last season I had a YES Great Dudes then picked up late season a fun.kink US edition. Needless to say I sold the YES. This season, looking to add another Bataleon to my collection. I'm leaning towards the 153 or 156 Whatever (despite the extruded base). I like steeps, bombing, tree runs and just random fun.. just all around fun really..I'm 5'8, 157lbs, size 7 Salomon boots.. -12/9 (I dont recall, too lazy to look for my board since in storage). Can you recommend a sizing? THANKS!

It was either this, or get a 2011 154 (?) Riot .. what do you think?
Hi OL.

The Whatever 153 will be incredible for you but my question is what would you be looking for it to add/change to your quiver. Will it replace you Funkink? If so, it is the right choice for the riding that you have described. The core moves frome tough core to Core Core, which means more pop and response. As always a size 7 foot brings its problems so I would definately opt for the smaller size (over the 156).

Thanks!
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums