Bataleon 2012 Q & A - Page 52 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #511 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Wiredsport did you maybe miss my question? It's at the top of this page
Himynameissean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #512 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek142 View Post
Doesn't that Evil Twin Classic have a extruded base? If so then hot iron wax is useless.
really? wtf?! seems like having wax is noticeable, maybe its placebo or goes away after a couple runs...so all the synthduded bataleons dont appreciate waxing?

i doubt its old wax, i scrubbed the board clean, after my wax job it looked nice and clean too, just looks like that after riding.

does it look like that cuz all teh wax is rubbed off the edges maybe?

Last edited by snowklinger; 10-25-2011 at 07:38 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #513 (permalink)
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek142 View Post
Doesn't that Evil Twin Classic have a extruded base? If so then hot iron wax is useless.
That's not true. A hot wax is always many times more effective than any spray-on/rub-on waxing, regardless if the base type. An extruded base is also porous, it just isn't as porous as a particle sintered material nor does it have the even pore distribution of a sintered base. Regardless, hot waxing it still opens the pores it does have allowing it to accept much more wax than a spray-on/rub-on product. It just won't absorb the ridiculous amounts a sintered base will.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #514 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
That's not true. A hot wax is always many times more effective than any spray-on/rub-on waxing, regardless if the base type. An extruded base is also porous, it just isn't as porous as a particle sintered material nor does it have the even pore distribution of a sintered base. Regardless, hot waxing it still opens the pores it does have allowing it to accept much more wax than a spray-on/rub-on product. It just won't absorb the ridiculous amounts a sintered base will.
phew! just got some new wax in, siked to be doin it myself, bummed if my board is such a giant lemon its not even worth waxing!
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #515 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,186
Default

Sintered vs Extruded

Sintered is not one thing. Extruded is not one thing. There are many varieties of each. Sinterred bases (depending on the base makeup) have different wax consumption properties as do Extruded bases. There are many grades of each base type. Just calling a base sinterred or extruded tells you very little. All benefit from regular waxing.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #516 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20
Default

I don't get it you answer everyone else's question but mine, I'll just buy else where I guess?
Himynameissean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #517 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himynameissean View Post
Hey I'm new to the forums and new enough to snowboarding I guess. Was really into it as a kid and only picked it up again last season. After reading through this thread, I'm pretty sure the Goliath is the board for me. I'm just not sure what size to go with. I'm 5'11", 170-175 pounds, size 12 in Burton Moto boots. I was thinking I'd need the 160W but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks?

I should add, most of the riding I'm going to be doing is groomed trails and I'm gonna be getting into the park this season too. I'm planning on a few trips to Vermont to see if I can get some powder but, thats not really my main concern.
Sorry there,

I thought when you had written, "I'd like to know what everyone else thinks" that you were looking for opinions other than mine (which would be welcomed and perfectly OK by me). The Goliath 160 W will be an excellent choice for your specs. It is the do everything Bataleon and will certainly set you up for a great winter.

Sorry again to leave you hanging out there
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #518 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 37
Default

Hey,

I would also love to get a recommendation on which Bataleon to get I'm 6ft and between 165 and 170 pounds. So far I've ridden a Skate Banana 159W with Union Force L/XL for 2 years, which I liked a lot. Right now I feel that I want to do my first steps in the park, and be a little bit more playful when I'm cruising around. I looked into the Evil Twin and the Goliath, but leaning a bit more towards the Goliath. I really want to get a shorter board this time, but don't want to do a too big compromise when it comes to powder and cruising fast on the slopes. I had a Nitro Team TLS 45 1/3 when I bought the banana, but noticed that it was too big and switched down to a 44 Nitro Team TLS. This time I hope, that I can go with a non-wide board. My stance is 12/-12, or 18/-12, I actually don't remember right now

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by frechdaxx; 10-26-2011 at 10:48 AM.
frechdaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #519 (permalink)
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Sintered vs Extruded

Sintered is not one thing. Extruded is not one thing. There are many varieties of each. Sinterred bases (depending on the base makeup) have different wax consumption properties as do Extruded bases. There are many grades of each base type. Just calling a base sinterred or extruded tells you very little. All benefit from regular waxing.
Actually it tells you quite a bit. One was formed by pressing a solid piece of material through a die and the other was formed by sintering ground particles in a press at high temperatures and pressures for long duration. That alone is valuable Yea, are all sorts of material choices, molecular weights and manufacturing details, but the basic manufacturing principles still create basic attributes in a base which is die extruded versus particle sintered. A die extruded base will have grain slip-plane inconsistencies, less even pore distribution and it is not possible to achieve the porosity in a particle sintered process by using a die extrusion process, all other things being equal.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #520 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
Actually it tells you quite a bit. One was formed by pressing a solid piece of material through a die and the other was formed by sintering ground particles in a press at high temperatures and pressures for long duration. That alone is valuable Yea, are all sorts of material choices, molecular weights and manufacturing details, but the basic manufacturing principles still create basic attributes in a base which is die extruded versus particle sintered. A die extruded base will have grain slip-plane inconsistencies, less even pore distribution and it is not possible to achieve the porosity in a particle sintered process by using a die extrusion process, all other things being equal.
Yes, essentially pellet melt-and-sheet-roll vs. pellet crushing. Those are the rough processes. However, simply calling a base "sinterred" (for instance) without taking into account the details of that sintered product tells you very little. Sintered bases range from inexpensive to very expensive. Some hold siginficantly more wax than others and often lose that wax more quickly. Some are more brittle than others. Some boards use custom compounds and at times those are excellent and at other times they fail. That is not to mention various compounds and inclusions. The same is true for "extruded".
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums