Bataleon 2012 Q & A - Page 70 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #691 (permalink)

great thread!

curious to see what suggestions i'll get

a couple years ago i bought a Jam 161w off the classifieds here, i had to see what tbt was all about after reading so much about it. That board blew my mind, amazing. I sold it to a friend when i tweaked my back and couldn't ride.

Now i'm ready for another board, and as much as i loved the Jam- i'm looking to go for something more playful and less of a badass. I'll be riding with my 2 young kids so i might as well have something that's fun for buttering around on, and still be able to handle some higher speed and hopefully a bunch of powpow on when i get the chance.
Will be riding mostly Bridger Bowl and some at BigSky.

No park for me, too old.

Weight is 210lbs
Foot is sz 10
Height= lots

While i'd love a '13 model, i think i'll stick with wiredsport.com 's selection of '12 boards.

Here's what i'm thinking- 158w Whatever or a 160w Goliath.
A little worried that the Whatever will be too soft??

(also, i know i dont need a wide board, i just think that it helps when really laying it over in a carve. the Jam was sooo fast edge to edge i couldn't believe it and it was a wide)

I should probably consider the Omni too, but i'd be concerned it wouldn't be as fun for messing around on the green runs that i'll be on with my kiddos.

Open to suggestions!
Thanks in advance
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #692 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Stoked that you had so much fun on the Jam!

A few suggestions on your new deck. With a size 10 you should not go with a wide model. The Whatever is the correct stiffness for your specs for what you have described.

I would highly suggest the Whatever 159. It is perfect fro what you are looking to do...and much more. Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #693 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
great thread!

curious to see what suggestions i'll get

a couple years ago i bought a Jam 161w off the classifieds here, i had to see what tbt was all about after reading so much about it. That board blew my mind, amazing. I sold it to a friend when i tweaked my back and couldn't ride.

Now i'm ready for another board, and as much as i loved the Jam- i'm looking to go for something more playful and less of a badass. I'll be riding with my 2 young kids so i might as well have something that's fun for buttering around on, and still be able to handle some higher speed and hopefully a bunch of powpow on when i get the chance.
Will be riding mostly Bridger Bowl and some at BigSky.

No park for me, too old.

Weight is 210lbs
Foot is sz 10
Height= lots

While i'd love a '13 model, i think i'll stick with wiredsport.com 's selection of '12 boards.

Here's what i'm thinking- 158w Whatever or a 160w Goliath.
A little worried that the Whatever will be too soft??

(also, i know i dont need a wide board, i just think that it helps when really laying it over in a carve. the Jam was sooo fast edge to edge i couldn't believe it and it was a wide)

I should probably consider the Omni too, but i'd be concerned it wouldn't be as fun for messing around on the green runs that i'll be on with my kiddos.

Open to suggestions!
Thanks in advance
I see that you are aware of the width issue, but am still going to pick up on it: Not only do you not need a wide board, you almost certainly would be (considerably) worse off with one. Edge-to-edge is just one thing - sufficient edge pressure and control is just as important.
This is especially true for carving - I am pretty sure that a regular width board would be much better for your carving than a wide one...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #694 (permalink)

i knew i wouldnt get off the hook with this wide/non-wide thing!

thanks for the reco's!

lets talk width for a sec

the difference on the whatever is 9mm |____ |

split that in half and it's 4.5mm added to either side of the board, that's about 3/16's of an inch | |

the Jam i had was my first wide board and it didnt pose any problems for me, maybe it would bother a shorter rider? (i'm sorta tall)

i almost think the little bit of extra width works well when really tilted over, keeps the boots outta the snow. (i only run -3 on my back foot)

Wiredsport, Thanks for the vote on the Whatever! I would've guessed you'd say Goliath I get to save a few bucks!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #695 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
lets talk width for a sec
Yup. Let's get it perfect.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #696 (permalink)

i like stickers (had to make the post longer)
Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #697 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Got it. The Whatever 158 Wide is 26.3 at the waist and 27.3 at the center inserts. That gives you 1 mm of overhang a zero degrees and with any angle at all you will be within the confines of the edges. a 10 degree angle would put you about 1 cm shy of the edges. You don't want that.

The 159 is 254 waist and 264 center insert. That gives you a centimeter at zero degrees and plenty of room for angle which will result in better leverage, more power, and more fun!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #698 (permalink)

you and your math!

alright, i'll do it, but just this one time.

Thanks for the help, let it snow already
Old 09-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #699 (permalink)

Looking a Bataleon for a all around park board, considered other boards but I'm almost positive I'm going with Bataleon, I looked at the Evil Twin the only thing was I heard if was on the stiffer side plus the Twin TBT has a narrower center base then the GLOBAL WARMER came along with the park TBT which is wider I'm going to assume better to stability going into jumps and also it's still good for jibbing and rails and butters. Any objections on this board for med - big jumps ? Also size suggestion if I'm only going to use for park . I'm consider 148 or 151 I normally ride a 154 all mountain so I know the 154 will be to much .. I'm 160lbs 5'7" size 10 boot

Thanx
Lester86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #700 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Lester,

The new GW was designed to be a high end material park board that shares it other specs with the Airobic. There is carbon between the bindings which stiffens the mid section a bit and adds immediacy to the response there as well. It gets a sintered base and the hardwood stringers move from the center (on the Airobic) to edge (on the GW). Bataleon lists the flex as the same for both models, but the GW feels (a little - OK, very little) stiffer.

The ET is a more powerful deck, but I would still hesitate to call it on the stiff side. That will depend a lot on what you have been riding. So...What have you been riding?

Thanks!