Beginner girls board recomendation - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Lunatique and the Luna are different boards. The Lunatique will be more forgiving and it'll be easier to ride in powder. But it will feel a little more "loose" especially on hard pack. It's a preference thing.

The B-nice is a great board - love the magnetraction. It makes a big difference on hard pack. It is also a rockered board.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm also in/around San Francisco and I have roughly the same physical characteristics as you...

I'm in a similar situation as you except I'm upgrading from an old clunky board to a newer one.

I think the snow situation right now at Tahoe is definately icy at many resorts since it hasn't snowed in about a month, except for a light dusting this past weekend. But there are some resorts that have a nice few inches of soft stuff over the hard pack. "Powder" is really only right after a big storm I suppose.

For places to shop locally, so far I like the Sports Basement, but they don't seem to have the deals you mentioned! Where did you find them... at REI? Although... I already have a few boards picked out and I'm just waiting for the sales to start hopefully they stock doesn't sell out in 142'ish cm boards.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolulu View Post
I'm also in/around San Francisco and I have roughly the same physical characteristics as you...

I'm in a similar situation as you except I'm upgrading from an old clunky board to a newer one.

I think the snow situation right now at Tahoe is definately icy at many resorts since it hasn't snowed in about a month, except for a light dusting this past weekend. But there are some resorts that have a nice few inches of soft stuff over the hard pack. "Powder" is really only right after a big storm I suppose.

For places to shop locally, so far I like the Sports Basement, but they don't seem to have the deals you mentioned! Where did you find them... at REI? Although... I already have a few boards picked out and I'm just waiting for the sales to start hopefully they stock doesn't sell out in 142'ish cm boards.
REI has the 2010? (black) luna on sale, but only 146 (just a tad too long for me)
Any Mountain has the Lunatique 142 on sale for $250!

What did you pick out?

I'm very tempted to get the GNU B nice because of the banana traction, you know how icy it gets... in fact, i have never ridden in powder ever!!
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
REI has the 2010? (black) luna on sale, but only 146 (just a tad too long for me)
Any Mountain has the Lunatique 142 on sale for $250!

What did you pick out?

I'm very tempted to get the GNU B nice because of the banana traction, you know how icy it gets... in fact, i have never ridden in powder ever!!
With lilfoot's help, I picked the Never Summer Pandora, Never Summer Infinity, Roxy Ally BTX, or Roxy Ollie Pop. I'd like an All-Mountain Hybrid Camber board, but the one that jumps out at me (Never Summer Infinity) might be a bit expensive and a bit too long (145cm). Other online guides say 145cm should be fine for me (110 lbs), but it's a big step up from what I have now (138cm).

Lake Tahoe usually gets decent snow I think, so it's not icy all the time. It really depends on the resort I think, whether or not it gets sun to soften stuff up, and weather there are strong winds. It's just that this year, it basically hasn't snowed all January, so it's icy in some resorts (*Cough* HOMEWOOD *COUGH*). Alpine Meadows was nice though when I went 2 weeks ago!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Girl, I don't know if I should fork out the extra $100 for the magnatraction on the B nice, it's a bit longer than I wanted it to be, but seriously, if it can even help me catch 30% edge, it's worth it.
I ride mostly at Sierra or northstar, just really enjoyed squaw valley, do you think it is necessary to get the magnatraction?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The magnetraction will give you excellent edge control on ice and hard pack. I love it, but some do find it too grippy.

The banana tech on the B-nice is a rocker. It will feel a bit more loose, especially getting off lifts, but you'll get used to it quickly. It'll give good float in powder and the raised edges will make it harder to catch an edge.

It's good stuff.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

lilfoot, given that the luatique is a good $100 cheaper, do you think it'll be good for me?
The guy is trying to convince me to get the 146 so i can "grow into it", do you think at my weight and height i should stay with 142 or 146? I"m actually almost 5'5 at 105 lbs.
Decisions decisions!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That's a hard question to answer. If you've been riding a 145 and you're comfortable on it, the 146 probably won't feel much different. Plenty of women your size ride a 146 or longer for freeride, but it is on the longer side of your suggested range. I personally prefer something much smaller and feel like a shorter board feels much lighter beneath me. For your size and level of experience, I would say that a 141-144 would be the best range.

Regardless, by the time you "grow into" the Lunatique, you'll probably be ready for a more aggressive board.

You can't really know without demoing. You kind of just have to pull the trigger.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
Girl, I don't know if I should fork out the extra $100 for the magnatraction on the B nice, it's a bit longer than I wanted it to be, but seriously, if it can even help me catch 30% edge, it's worth it.
I ride mostly at Sierra or northstar, just really enjoyed squaw valley, do you think it is necessary to get the magnatraction?
Some of my friends who have magnetraction say "theoretically" it's better on ice and hard pack, but they can't tell the difference in Tahoe. I'm not really sure.. and this is all 2nd hand advice

I've never been to Northstar, but Sierra was nice each time I went. Nothing outrageously icy. The beginner area at Squaw Valley seemed icy when I went... It might have been me just going different times in the season... it's mostly about the weather around the time you hit the slopes I think.

I'm just a beginner also, so everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt!

Are there any opinions on the Rome Blue? I saw the 2010 Rome Blue on sale (141cm) for $275. It seems to be a hybrid all-mountain board.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

cocolulu: Magnetraction is legit. You can tell the difference on ice and hard pack. That's a nice feature, since every resort gets ice and hard pack at some point.

The Rome Blue is a fairly stiff freeride board. Not really appropriate for beginners. I don't think it comes in a 141, so double check that information.