Beginner girls board recomendation - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
cocolulu: Magnetraction is legit. You can tell the difference on ice and hard pack. That's a nice feature, since every resort gets ice and hard pack at some point.

The Rome Blue is a fairly stiff freeride board. Not really appropriate for beginners. I don't think it comes in a 141, so double check that information.
Yeah, here in northern California we haven't had a good storm in more than a month, so many resorts are icy hard pack. Oddly though, I went to Squaw Valley one day, and it was icy, then went to Alpine Meadows the next, and it wasn't half bad. It's weird because the two resorts are just down the road from each other.

I checked on the Rome Blue, and it turns out they made 141cm boards in 2010, but they stopped for the 2011 line. They only have 145cm boards as the smallest one now.

I suppose I'll just keep waiting for the end of season sale...
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

I've snowboarded a few times here in Squaw, northstar, and Sierra, never once was the snow not icy of some sort. In squaw, I've encountered really nice powder-ish on top of emmigrant lift, but then some parts along the way down were basically ice. I would say the popular long 3.5mile blue run all the way down to the village gets very icy as well. Given all that, now I'm really really wanting to just fork out the extra 100 and get the gnu b-nice. If it helps me learn.
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

lilfoot- is the B-street harder to ride /learn for a beginner? The reason I ask is because they have the shorter size (142) and it's on sale for 320 at my local store!

And *blush*, i like the design better...
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The B-street rocks! It was my board last season. It's a very soft, forgiving board. It's designated as a jib board, but handles all-mountain riding quite well. Great for ground tricks, park, learning to ride switch, and riding on ice and powder. Of course, it has BTX, which is nice.

Downside: It won't hold up under very high speeds and it'll throw you around quite a bit in choppy conditions.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
The B-street rocks! It was my board last season. It's a very soft, forgiving board. It's designated as a jib board, but handles all-mountain riding quite well. Great for ground tricks, park, learning to ride switch, and riding on ice and powder. Of course, it has BTX, which is nice.

Downside: It won't hold up under very high speeds and it'll throw you around quite a bit in choppy conditions.

I'm sorry, i don't understand what choppy condition means, you mean the terrain is uneven? If i mostly go on green/blue runs, I will be okay?

Keep in mind that I'm a beginner (only have maybe 6 days snowboarding) , the guy kept telling me that the rocker will make it very slippery and make me do helicopter and I'll be frustrated? I"m like thats not what I've heard.

I will not be doing park at all.

What's the difference between b-nice and b-street? It's cheaper than b-nice(on sale), but if it's too advanced for me, i don't want to get it... u know what i mean?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The B-street has the same rocker and the same magnetraction edges as the B-nice. It is softer than the B-Nice and has a sintered base instead of an extruded base. The B-street is classified as advanced freestyle/jib, which just means it is well made, not that it's hard to ride. The B-Nice will feel a little stiffer and a bit more stable.

Choppy conditions is when powder gets tracked out and starts to get packed down, so it gets pretty bumpy and lumpy. The B-street just doesn't absorb bumps very well, so you'll have to bend your knees more to absorb them.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #27 (permalink)

Oh, but b-nice will be the same in terms of handling choppy conditions?
Do you think I should get the b-nice for $379 or b-street for $320?

Also, B-street comes in 141 (a bit short for me??) and 145, should I get the 145 instead? I was going to get the 142 lunatique
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The B-Nice may handle chop a little better, but I'm not sure. I don't think the difference would be hugely significant. I rode the 141 and I'm about your size, but you'd be fine on the 145 too. Totally a preference thing.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

Thank you!! I think I'm going to take the plunge with the B street, the deal seems ok, right? At 320? I'm very excited, just don't want to het frustrated again using a completely diff type of board from the craptastic burton cruiser.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Awesome! Yes, $320 is a great deal, especially since the B-street often sells out early.