Beginner girls board recomendation - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #31 (permalink)

Lilfoot: picked up my B-street today! There was a coupon for an addition $50 off, so the grand total was $270. For almost the same price as the lunatique, I'm quite happy!

One stupid quick question, and I'm very sorry for my stupid question, some people say that the banana technolgy does not do well carving in blues (I'm not sure why...), does the magnatraction help with that?
When they say it doesn't do well, what does it mean? Does it mean I won't be able to go fast (not a concern) or I'm going to slip and fall on my ass?

Also, most people say that it takes some getting used to when you first ride a rocker, did this happen to you? If so, any advice on how to deal with this? I'm SO excited!
I got the Ride VXN binding. ( if the prices are the same, $99, would you get the 2009 or this year's model? i can't tell the difference)

Thanks again for all your help!
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't listen to idiots. You'll be just fine. I think the people you mentioned are talking about true, hard carving. And no, it wouldn't carve as well as a stiff, cambered board, but for you it really won't matter.

The VXns are good bindings for the price. Get the newer model - always!

It did take me a little time to get used to the rocker - maybe a few runs. After that it'll seem completely normal. I feel the strongest different when skating/getting of the lift.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Don't listen to idiots. You'll be just fine. I think the people you mentioned are talking about true, hard carving. And no, it wouldn't carve as well as a stiff, cambered board, but for you it really won't matter.

The VXns are good bindings for the price. Get the newer model - always!

It did take me a little time to get used to the rocker - maybe a few runs. After that it'll seem completely normal. I feel the strongest different when skating/getting of the lift.
Hey lilfoot, want to let you know that I was able to test out the board and I absolutely love it!! It is totally fine for a beginner as you said, I did ran over some choppy terrain, not sure if it's just choppy or moguls or whatever it's called, I only see it in the steeper blue area. It throws me around quite abit, but I think being such a green beginner, it wouldn't make any difference whether I'm on a rocker or camber, I remember being thrown around on a camber board like that as well, I might as well learn how to handle those with a rocker.

The board saved my ass a few times, I can totally feel it, but I hear you on getting off the lifts. I don't have a stomp pad so it was very slippery the first time I get off the lift. I did get use to it after a couple of times. There were no adjustment periods for me since I ride on a different rental board everytime before I got this, so it was just like before. Despite it being a rocker, I still eat shit, but definately not as much as before, can be a combo of board, confidence the board gave me, and just purely being out there more often. Thank you so much for recommending such a great board for me.

quick question for you since we have the same board. How often do you wax your board? Someone mentioned that being a sintered base, it needs to be done more often? Do you do it on your own?

Sad that the top of my board has been scratched lightly already..
Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah! So glad you liked it! It is natural to feel thrown around in bumpy conditions - you just have to learn to bend your knees to absorb it.

My base was extremely dry when I first got it, so I waxed it after every trip for a few weeks. Then I probably waxed after every 3-5 trips. My husband and I wax our boards at home - it's pretty easy, but it does take time. You can tell it needs to be waxed when the base near the edges looks dull and scratchy...
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #35 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
quick question for you since we have the same board. How often do you wax your board? Someone mentioned that being a sintered base, it needs to be done more often? Do you do it on your own?

Sad that the top of my board has been scratched lightly already..
Sintered bases need to be waxed often because they become slow when dry. This is why you hear people saying that sintered bases need to be waxed more often. It's to maintain the speed of the board.

In my opinion, I think extruded bases need to be waxed more. While an unwaxed extruded base is faster than an unwaxed sintered, when both are waxed the extruded base is much slower.

Extruded bases also don't absorb wax as well as a sintered one. This means they will get dry much quicker than sintered bases. If you want to maintain speed, and extruded base will actually need much more frequent waxing.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #36 (permalink)

Have you decided on a board yet? Definitely check out any mountain if you haven't. They have better selection and prices than REI.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #37 (permalink)

I already bought it! And yes, I got it at Any Mountain, the B-Street was $270 vs REI's $349 on sale!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Awesome. I'm from the SF area too, which resort are you planning to ride? I'm trying to plan a trip in a few weeks, can't decide where to go yet.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Awesome. I'm from the SF area too, which resort are you planning to ride? I'm trying to plan a trip in a few weeks, can't decide where to go yet.
What are you looking for in a resort?

I really liked northstar and squaw valley esp if you and your group is at least late beginner/intermediate level, as these resort has alot of intermediate runs. At squaw, they open till 9pm at night, and night riding is the bomb! The runs are really long, love it!!

Now, these are large resorts, so you'll have to deal with crowds if it's weekend. I didn't really encounter any crowds at squaw when I was there for work, even on a saturday (green lifts, some wait, blue lifts, no line at all), but you do have to ride the gondola to get up to the mid mountain and connect to lifts. Same with northstar, park your car, ride shuttle, get to village, get to gondola, then you get on lifts. Takes another 20 minutes of your time for all these waiting etc.
Northstar has plenty of blue terrain. I was told that the blue at northstar is like mini /easy blacks and their blacks are like others blue... but I heard the backside is amazing. I'm just learning so I'll never go there.

For smaller resorts, I learned at Sierra at Tahoe, but I was only on the green runs, so I dont know anything about the other areas at all.
Boreal is another small resort, good for parks and beginners.

Let me know where you decided to go!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Yeah! So glad you liked it! It is natural to feel thrown around in bumpy conditions - you just have to learn to bend your knees to absorb it.

My base was extremely dry when I first got it, so I waxed it after every trip for a few weeks. Then I probably waxed after every 3-5 trips. My husband and I wax our boards at home - it's pretty easy, but it does take time. You can tell it needs to be waxed when the base near the edges looks dull and scratchy...
Thank you!! I will probably get it waxed before my next time out, mine definately feels kind of dry. I love the board so much, now if i can get use to this freakn Ride VXN. I ended up with the 09 model because it is $70 (i wish i have smaller feet so I can use the $40 model!!)