Beginner girls board recomendation - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner girls board recomendation

Hi all,

i've only been out a few times, able to somewhat link turns, absolutely no carving whatsoever yet. I will probably never go to the park, just want to ride down blue runs (or black eventually). I will be riding in Lake Tahoe, i don't know what the snow condition is called, I've never ridden in powder I don't think, different parts of the mountain feels differently, sometimes it's soft and okay when i fall, some of them are like a freakn ice skating ring hard.

I am quite tiny. 5'4 and a half, 106 pounds, I wear size 7 boots.

I'm confused of whether to get a hybrid rocker or rocker. I am open to anything, obviously something that can let me use for a few season, and not to scare the crap out of me, I don't know how to board's shape can help me catch less edges, but if indeed that's the case, I would LOVE it since I kept catching my heel edge when I'm getting out of my toe side turn and bang my tailbone lots.

I've been renting the Burton Cruzer 145. I cannot tell you if I hate it or like it because thats the only board i've rented used ever.

I've read about the Never Summer Pandora, Gnu Bnice, recommend away, I'm really open.
Also, I know nothiing about bindings/boots, share your opinion here as well. I live in SF, so if you know any shop that has good people to work with, that would be great!

I'm not in a hurry to get these at all, can wait till end of season.

Thank you!!
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Bataleon Distortia, Flow Jewel, or a Nitro Mystique.

For bindings I would look into Flow Essence, Raiden Eris, or Flux GU30's.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Last edited by Nivek; 02-03-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im not a girl but i have really enjoyed my capita boards. probably safe to assume the womens boards are pretty awesome as well.
I've been riding one of their reverse camber or flat kick boards the ultrafear and it was very natural feeling right away. Might be something worth looking into.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Camber is a personal choice. I personally like rocker/camber combinations because it seems to be the most versatile.

I weigh about the same as you and the Pandora is my deck of choice. Very soft and forgiving, but damp enough to feel stable all-mountain. It is a rocker/camber board with vario grip edges for edge control on hardpack and ice days.

The B-nice would be another good option, but the shortest B-nice is probably longer that what you'd want.

The Capita Space Metal Fantasy is a soft, fun board for a beginner.

The Rome Vinyl and K2 Luna (now Lunatique) are two popular beginner/intermediate boards.

The Roxy Ollie Pop and Eminence are also excellent choices, now with rocker/camber and magnetraction edges.

As for bindings, just avoid the cheapest in any brand's line-up.
Burton: Lexas or Escapades
Union: Milan or Trilogy
Rome: Madison
Ride Vxn
Flux GU30
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Camber is a personal choice. I personally like rocker/camber combinations because it seems to be the most versatile.

I weigh about the same as you and the Pandora is my deck of choice. Very soft and forgiving, but damp enough to feel stable all-mountain. It is a rocker/camber board with vario grip edges for edge control on hardpack and ice days.

The B-nice would be another good option, but the shortest B-nice is probably longer that what you'd want.

The Capita Space Metal Fantasy is a soft, fun board for a beginner.

The Rome Vinyl and K2 Luna (now Lunatique) are two popular beginner/intermediate boards.

The Roxy Ollie Pop and Eminence are also excellent choices, now with rocker/camber and magnetraction edges.

As for bindings, just avoid the cheapest in any brand's line-up.
Burton: Lexas or Escapades
Union: Milan or Trilogy
Rome: Madison
Ride Vxn
Flux GU30
My local REI has the K2 Luna on sale for $189 (146), is this too long for me? The guy also said that the luna is camber and lunatique is rocker??? I'm utterly confused. I have him put it on hold for me till tomrorow since price is so right.
Thoughts?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
kls

I'm close to your size and I ride a 146. I'm a little shorter (5'3) and weight 112. I also wear a size 7 shoe. I used to ride a 143 and switched to a 146 this year. I didn't notice that big of a difference between the two, but my previous board was a plank so anything felt better than that.

As you said the technology isn't important to you, the camber should be perfect. I prefer a rocker/camber hybrid, but if I only had to chose between rocker or camber-I'd choose camber. The rocker feel might throw you off if you're just learning as since it has a much looser feel. Also the rocker is better for freestyle while the traditional camber will be best for all mountain.

Hope this helps!
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

146 is longer than I would ride, but it's certainly do-able. It's really a matter of preference.

The Luna is a cambered board. It was replaced this year by the Lunatique, which is rockered.

$189 is a fantastic deal. I would buy it. It's at REI, which has a great return policy, so you can return the board if you don't like it.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Technology is not important to me because I really can't tell the difference. I learned from Burton cruzer, but I wouldn't know any difference...i'm fine with it, i catch edges, but I suspect the way I catch edges, it wouldn't matter if 'm on a camber or rocker... I'm glad someone around my size rides 146!! I am fine with the 145 not sure if 1cm will throw me off, but if a shorter board will help me learn faster and avoid me landing on my ass all the time, I wouldn't mind forking out a bit more money.

Here's what I'm gonna do. Pick up the board from REI and let it sit in my garage and see continue this discussion. Without ever been on a rocker before, i wouldn't know the difference, and not been on a shorter board, I wouldn't know either!!

I heard many good things about K2 Luna, i know end of season sale is around the corner, so I'm tempted to wait around and see what's available. But because of my weight, short board sizes doesn't come as often...

lilfoot1598: do you think it's worth it to fork out more and get the lunatique instead of luna?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

End of season sales:

Pro: amazing prices.
Con: only on what's available.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Okay, shops really going on sale

Luna 146 2009 $175
Luna 146 2010 $189
Lunatique 142 this year (more comfy with this size) $250
The gnu bnice 145 is $375, but if you think the banana traction will make alot of diff I'll entertain that!

Dilemma??