Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   TRS MTX or Riders Choice MTX (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/3707-trs-mtx-riders-choice-mtx.html)

oneoldman 02-06-2008 11:32 PM

TRS MTX or Riders Choice MTX

I'm planning on getting a new board this week and I've narrowed my choices down to one of these two boards. I currently ride a Head Icon, which, while a great board at speed, is way too stiff for having fun in the park (which I'm starting to get into), and the top layer on the Icon is pretty messed up around the tips to boot.

I spend most of my time racing my friends down the mountain and playing around on the the trails, however I've been getting into park recently and want a board that will be the best of both worlds, but with more emphasis on carving. I'm not really worried about powder performance since I live in NJ, and a huge part of my riding is done on ice, or hardpack. I'm not sure about the Rider's Choice blunt nose and tail, and since I don't often ride switch, I don't know if there's a point in investing in a twin board.

rgrwilco 02-06-2008 11:59 PM

if your riding in the jerz, theres no point in not havint a twin.

PapaWood 02-07-2008 12:14 AM

Practically the same board. The Riders choice is a little more freestyle based.

Nivek 02-07-2008 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one of the testers of the trs from future snowboarding said "F%*K every other snowboard" if that helps your decision.

PapaWood 02-07-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nivek (Post 33919)
one of the testers of the trs from future snowboarding said "F%*K every other snowboard" if that helps your decision.

Other than being a little on the stiff side, I entirely second that statement. :thumbsup:

oneoldman 02-07-2008 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaWood (Post 33921)
Other than being a little on the stiff side, I entirely second that statement. :thumbsup:

Well so long as its not as stiff as the Icon, I'll be happy, and if its that good all around (and I'm guessing these guys have ridden more boards than I've seen) then I cant really go wrong getting the MTX right?

PapaWood 02-07-2008 01:23 AM

Magnetraction can feel really weird to some people. I personally love it. It takes about a day to get adjusted to it but it really does give you a superior edgehold. I can't 100% guarantee you will like it as some people cannot stand the feel of it, but I personally think its great and simply takes a little time to get used to.

Also to clarify, the TRS was noewhere near being stiff for most, it was just a little stiff for my personal taste. It is an All-Mountain/Freestyle board so it should suit your needs for just about everything. :thumbsup:

oneoldman 03-20-2008 02:35 AM

Just coming back to say that the TRS MTX is beyond amazing and that the only thing I don't like about it is that I love it too much to risk ruining it on rails so now I need a park specific board :D

The magnetraction makes a HUGE difference in icy and hardpack conditions, to the point where I can lay down full euro-carves on blacks that the skiers I ride with call "really icy" while still being able to hit anything that looks fun on the side of the trail. Over the course of the day that I got that board I went from being sketchy on blues to feeling confident on single blacks. Now I don't worry about doubles either.

The only real negative is that it took me a good 5 days to get my balance dialed enough to not catch an edge when riding on lumpy flats for longer distances. Now that is no longer a problem and I feel secure jumping with the board even on off camber, abused landings, with the edges fully sharpened. I find I need to wax it more often than my other board but that could be because I go A LOT faster on the TRS.

DuncanShea 03-21-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneoldman (Post 33907)
I spend most of my time racing my friends down the mountain

TRS has an extruded base. Good luck taking any of your friends sporting a sintered base.

crazyface 03-21-2008 09:24 PM

trs is great. i didnt have any trouble getting used to mtx. i didnt even notice any difference at all between my old board and my new trs w/mtx. and my friend rides a custom with a sintered base and i destroy him on anything when we race.