How much to detune? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much to detune?

Ok so my son has been riding a 130cm Burton Chopper for the last year and it is getting to be too small for him. Last week I picked up a Capita Stairmaster 144 for him new off of eBay and some Union Contacts from another member here for the board. When I got it all together I detuned the tip and tail down to the start of the effective edge thinking that was correct and today we took it out for the first time. He started out on the board but was having all sorts of trouble catching edges...lots of falls. This was in a clinic that amounts to a 4 hour private lesson (he is the only snowboarder of his level in the clinic) After an hour of this on the bunny slope I went and got his Chopper which I had also brought to the mountain with us just in case. At the lunch break I talked to his instructor who suggested the board needed detuned to prevent the catchyness...when I asked for his suggestion of how far this should be he said nearly all the way from the tips to the bindings which just seemed nuts to me.

So what are this forum's thoughts on this? Son has been riding for a year now...can ride blues and link turns at low speeds. Is 4'10" and 100 lbs. He rode just fine for the rest of the clinic on his Chopper is getting short for him (maybe mid neck and he is near max suggested weight for this board). Yes the Capita is a little long but he is going to grow more and this will be his board through next year so I figured the length was the right choice. Do Capitas come from the factory with the edges beveled? Should I bevel it?
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure that stairmaster has no special bevel from the factory.
He might just be having trouble with the added length. Maybe give him a little more time on the board. or go for adjusting the bevel.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

detuning is user specific, but work on the tip and nose up to the effective edge (widest part of the board) then go from there. My guess is the instructor does a lot of park thats why he suggested to do nearly the whole thing. Not a good idea for carving.
earl_je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesp View Post
I'm pretty sure that stairmaster has no special bevel from the factory.
He might just be having trouble with the added length. Maybe give him a little more time on the board. or go for adjusting the bevel.
I ordered a 2* bevel tool from racewax.com and plan on adjusting the bevel...and yea he needs more time on the board but at the same time I don't want to run him off of snowboarding by pushing him to the new board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl_je View Post
detuning is user specific, but work on the tip and nose up to the effective edge (widest part of the board) then go from there. My guess is the instructor does a lot of park thats why he suggested to do nearly the whole thing. Not a good idea for carving.
I'm with you there...I came to snowboarding many years ago from ski racing and detuning is against everything I ever learned back in the day. That said I understand the concept and believe my son will be more of a freestyle rider than a pure carver...but I also think being a fully rounded rider will suit him well. Right now I want him to have fun and he isn't going to have any fun if he can't make turns on the new board.

I think what I will do is bevel the edges and detune them a bit but not all the way to the bindings...that HAS to be WAY too much.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sort of interesting (to me anyway) is that the other recent detune threat is actually also about the Capita Stairmaster...I hadn't realized that when I posted this. So what is it about the Stairmaster that makes it so catchy and in need of detuning? I picked this board for several reasons: it is cambered, it is really soft and it came in a 144cm length, I thought it had pretty good reviews and I was able to get it shipped for 35% off.