park-only board for 195 lb rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default park-only board for 195 lb rider

I’m 5’11 and weigh 195 lbs. My current setup is a 2010 gnu Alterered Genetics 159 (btx) With 2011 Union Forces.

I’ve found that spending more days in the park really improved my ability to mix tricks into my runs on the rest of the mountain. My Altered Genetics kills it everywhere on the mountain and in pow, and I’m looking to get a second board to use exclusively in the park.

I can already do 360s front and back side, and want to do more technical tricks and grabs on M/L jumps, and some boxes. I’m not interested in doing huge XL jumps.

How short and flexible can I get away with for a park-only board at 195 lbs? Any specific board recommendations? I'm open to all camber options.

Last edited by Penzer; 02-06-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Penzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm 185-190 right now but I started the season at 195 and I ride a Capita stairmaster 156 with the Union Force and it handles everything pretty damn well. I ride everything in the park including 30-40 footers. I'd say it's probably a 4-5 on the flex scale. I bought it just to try it out because it was 70% off and I love it. I'll probably be getting another one when this craps out or upgrading to the Stairmaster Extreme
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Stair is a good option.

Be weary though of the Extreme, it is stiffer than you think. I've owned a 148 Stair and ridden a 148 Extreme. Much stiffer, way more pop though.

Something else to look at would be a Ride Kink 155, Nitro T1 156, A 2012 Signal Park Zero cam around a 156 (they get carbon next year, this'll be my favorite park board), or a 2012 Flow Shifty 156.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm going to check out the stairmaster 156, ride kink 155, I like the idea of flex 4

How would the Nitro T1 compare in terms of flexibility? Is the zero camber (flat board) meant to make it better for park or for the rest of the mountain?

I'll be putting a used pair of Forum Republics on the board.

I want to use the park board this spring, so the 2012 boards aren't an option for me.
Penzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

T1's are supposed to be softer than they used to be, I haven't been on 2011's, the 2012 are though. If you're worried about that stiffness the Swindle is right around the Stair.

I just like zero cam for park the most cause of the way it feels. I always feel like the press on a rocker board comes from the middle and it just feels off. Zero loosens up a board just enough to make it feel like you've been riding it for a whole season. It also gives better control on jumps. You don't loose your pressure outside your feet in favor for between your feet. You just use the whole edge at once really.

The four cambers I feel most comfortable on are Zero, Signal Wavelength, Arbor System, and Nitro Gullwing.

Also, buy my things?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I find the Ride Kink way too soft, almost cheap feeling. I used to ride a 2006 Nitro T1 and it was a pretty stiff park board but the last one I checked out was noticably softer. There are certainly good options out there. I'm curious about the Signal Park zero myself.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
I find the Ride Kink way too soft, almost cheap feeling. I used to ride a 2006 Nitro T1 and it was a pretty stiff park board but the last one I checked out was noticably softer. There are certainly good options out there. I'm curious about the Signal Park zero myself.
I ride the J.O.E. from this year which despite what Signal says is basically zero and I can say that with carbon in it it will be the greatest park board for my style or riding.

Interesting you found the Kink too soft, It only felt a hair softer than my Stair and was 1cm smaller.

They did soften up the T1. Though every time I went to the Nitro tent at on-snow they never had a size good for me, so I can't say how much or what it compares too. I would guess based on what I was told it's in between a Rook and Swindle, which would make it a bomb all park stick if its pop is dialed.

Also, buy my things?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

154-156 soft to mid flex board recommendations for a 195lbs 5'11" guy? wouldn't that ride like a freakin noodle?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetraveler View Post
154-156 soft to mid flex board recommendations for a 195lbs 5'11" guy? wouldn't that ride like a freakin noodle?
the soft ones. Yes. The mid stiff ones. No. That's the point. Park only.

Also, buy my things?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

i ride a bataleon riot 155 as an all mountain stick with a lil jumps here and there.

i'm 5'10" 190lbs and it's everything but a noodle. still stiff enough to race and still stable at speeds!

what about a 154 evil twin?

i wouldn't go bigger than 155 i think!
The Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote